Turbine Engines

\

thank god your neighbors don't make your mortgage payment. :laser::tape:people need to stop worrying about what their neighbors do on their own land. used to be the richest man could live next to the poorest man & not complain about the trash in his yard. because that was democracy . live & let live. :humble::plane:

What ????????????????

Be careful when looking for t62's. Do not buy the -32A. It looks almost identical to the -32 except the turbine housing is smaller. It was a "newer" design, but it was not as reliable. It spins faster as well.

There is a guy that tried to use one in a homebuilt helicopter and the whole aft section of the turbine cracked from the forces and broke off!!! Luckily no one was hurt. These are NOT airworthy as the turbine housing can not withstand the gyroscopic forces at play when airborne.

I will post a picture if I can find one...

A good deal of the noise comes off the intake. I would say approaching 50%. Turbines are loud...but the noise is high frequency and it dissipates quickly. At 100 feet they are quieter then a piston.
Travis, I don't know you but to give you some information, the 32A is used as APU in the Blackhawk and some of the 47 models so if you don't have hands on or learned knowledge on things do not mislead the people that do not know better!!! There is no APU that takes as much abuse as a military APU! I just saw about 5 of them being dismounted from Blackhawks for rebuild and there has not been one that BROKE apart like you stated! Or give us the name of the guy that had this misfortune happen to!!!!
Be careful when looking for t62's. Do not buy the -32A. It looks almost identical to the -32 except the turbine housing is smaller. It was a "newer" design, but it was not as reliable. It spins faster as well.

There is a guy that tried to use one in a homebuilt helicopter and the whole aft section of the turbine cracked from the forces and broke off!!! Luckily no one was hurt. These are NOT airworthy as the turbine housing can not withstand the gyroscopic forces at play when airborne.

I will post a picture if I can find one...

A good deal of the noise comes off the intake. I would say approaching 50%. Turbines are loud...but the noise is high frequency and it dissipates quickly. At 100 feet they are quieter then a piston.

Hi All

Justin is correct. Mr jimbo is wrong. T62-T32 and T32A were ground power units only. They were never APUs. There were dozens of varations of the solar T62 Series engines That are APUs. Just not the T32s No one that I am aware of is currently using the 32A in a helicopter due to there lack of reliability and extra weight. Mr jimbo may need to do a little more research Before he puts in his 2 cents worth.

Doug

Just my uneducated opinion

Hi All

Justin is correct. Mr jimbo is wrong. T62-T32 and T32A were ground power units only. They were never APUs. There were dozens of varations of the solar T62 Series engines That are APUs. Just not the T32s No one that I am aware of is currently using the 32A in a helicopter due to there lack of reliability and extra weight. Mr jimbo may need to do a little more research Before he puts in his 2 cents worth.

Doug

Just my uneducated opinion
thumb_IMG_0666_1024.jpgT62 APU look at it DOUG!!!!!!!!! On the Blackhawk and the Chinook!!!
Hi all, here is a picture of the T62 from a Blackhawk and the Chinook,(took picture at the Rotary school in PA last week) the main turbine is exactly the same as the rest of the 32 or other designations(the inside washer and the oil slinger is a little different). The hp is 150hp or some are also 160 rated. I had my T62 there to look at the units insides with the chief engineer and the head of the rebuild and teaching facility of the school. SO DOUG, since these APU's are outfitted with electrical and hydraulic driven ends with a different reduction drive, for the redundancy of the helicopters, Air start, electric start and hydraulic start, the T62 is the powerplant unit that powers all three redundancy options. The back plate is a different casting on the T62 for the holding brackets on the T62 because of the mounting on the roof section of the H60. My team of guys are all retired from this facility and they(A&P technicians) know all the stuff that you seem to have all the information on, you are wrong, you better do some more research or talk to somebody that knows! The T62 turbines are the build, the end (T2,T2A,T11,T12-105hp,T25-80hp,T27-150hp,T32-150/160hp.), used on these military units. Boeing CH-46 Sea Knight, Boeing CH-47 Chinook,Sikorsky CH-54 ,is the build(reduction, frame fastener and further connections) of the accessory unit. Doug just so you know! the weight of the T62 160hp unit is the same as the 150 hp within 21 grams.
So your guess is just a uneducated opinion and they are a dime a dozen!
JIM, Retired US ARMY E-7

Last edited:
Hi ALL!
The T62-32/32A is a ground power unit, a minesweeper power unit, air compressor unit. The -32 /32A designation is the custom application that it is built for. The HP is 150 or 160 depending on the RPM it runs on! The designation 32 is what the power turbine drives, reduction drive, Air Compressor or Hydraulic pump or all three through a driveshaft(I'll attach pic)thumb_IMG_0669_1024.jpg. The T62 is one of the simplest and most resilient turbines that is still on the market as a military APU. Just look at the driveshaft attachment, 6 pcs of .015 stainless discs that acts as a CV joynt, without vibration.

Once again I don't know who you are! You are stating information that is not true! Quit the lies and the statements that are not true!

Why so aggressive? You get into a forum and start addressing members of whom "you don't know who they are", as you mentioned yourself. Maybe you should consider that there are very knowledgeable people around that possibly have a lot more experience with turbine engines than yourself? Of course, the namelessness of the web may play its part here as well -- I'm not too sure you would approach somebody like that when speaking face-to-face.

Anyway, to shine some light on the subject, I dug out two old PDFs about these engines and uploaded them to my server:

Sorry for the poor quality of the copy (especially of the first), but I guess this clarifies the situation quite well and shows that the T-62T-32A (just as the T-62T-32) have never been used as an airborne APU. The Blackhawk has the T-62T-40-1 installed as an APU. But to those who have been members here for some time, this is old news.

All the best,
Thomas

View attachment 1145062
Just look at the driveshaft attachment, 6 pcs of .015 stainless discs that acts as a CV joynt, without vibration.
[/QUOTE]

That is some THICK-looking .015" stainless!
Thanks for the picture; a very interesting 'CV' joint system.
Brian

Wow

I looked at the picture it is a T62 series engine. it definitely is NOT a T62-T32 or T32A the engines that we were origionaly talking about. It is A T62 Series engine suffix I could not tell. I do know what a T62T32 and T62T32A are and look like I have worked on quite a few of them over the years. I do know what a chinook apu looks like I got one on the shelf. Yes the T62 SERIES engines were APUs. But not the T62-T32 and 32A were GPUs. That info came directly from Avon aero. the person who bought hundreds of the T32s in GPUs from the military. You keep saying T62 yes the majority of T62 SERIES engines were APUs Just not the 32 and 32A your words exactly here

the main turbine is exactly the same as the rest of the 32 or other designations(the inside washer and the oil slinger is a little different).

The main turbine design resembles the T32 some of the T62 Series engines parts like the turbine shaft and bearings are interchangeable with with a T32 There is no way your picture is a T32. Google a T62 T32 then you can see what one looks like.
So the T62 T32 is a good engine for helicopter applications and Not the T62 T32A
Gosh I have worked on hundreds of T62 T32 engines in the past 20 years I hope I know what they look like by now
I still stick with Justin is correct. Jimbo not so correct

Doug

Why so aggressive? You get into a forum and start addressing members of whom "you don't know who they are", as you mentioned yourself. Maybe you should consider that there are very knowledgeable people around that possibly have a lot more experience with turbine engines than yourself? Of course, the namelessness of the web may play its part here as well -- I'm not too sure you would approach somebody like that when speaking face-to-face.

Anyway, to shine some light on the subject, I dug out two old PDFs about these engines and uploaded them to my server:

Sorry for the poor quality of the copy (especially of the first), but I guess this clarifies the situation quite well and shows that the T-62T-32A (just as the T-62T-32) have never been used as an airborne APU. The Blackhawk has the T-62T-40-1 installed as an APU. But to those who have been members here for some time, this is old news.

All the best,
Thomas
I do not think that I am aggressive, I am just stating facts to an individual who took the word of a third party individual and added his unverified third party advice to a statement from somebody that made the statement. I went to A&P school and I work on APU's and jets. I specialize in the CJ610-. I am in the process of overhauling a GE CJ610 at this time. I have some friends at the rebuilding facility in Corpus Christi,TX. who do the rebuilding of the T62 power plants. The Titan T62 is almost all the same except for the compressor/housing casting of the air compressor section. I have only dealt with the APU T62-40-1 but my A&P friends done almost all the military APU's and Genset's. I ran into some people that purchased The T62- 32A and they are crying because some guy on a board calls a T62 a not usable unsafe turbine without naming facts or why it is unsafe, except for hearing it from somebody, probably online. To this I stated the fact that the T62-32A is a rock solid 150hp turbine without the generator section on it, the ugly reduction drive is also a rock solid unit to be used for almost any application. The hp is changed with the air turbine wheel that pushes the air into the combustion chamber, I have also seen it set to a higher RPM 3% to 5% for a little more hp and higher altitude operation.
Give me facts and not internet gossip. At least you had a brochure that gives no actual mechanical facts but it does give the model numbers.
I do not want to waste my time to gather all the books I have, to put them online. Belonging to this and other boards is very educational with the lack of concrete facts that are spouted(although there are some good facts from some individuals ). I am in the process of building a facts only Turbine and helicopter and Jet website. But I do work so it might take a few month to finish it.

Sooo you have never worked on a T62T32 or 32A interesting.
. The T32 is the more desireable engine for helicopter applications.
The T32A not so much. lets just say it is because of the extra weight, not because in our helicopter community (that you have just joined) it has a reputation of high speed bearing failures. in the gensets it is a wonder full motor. Just not so much in a helicopter. For now the helicopter community will stick with the T32. Until you install a T32A into your helicopter and prove us wrong.

Doug

Ok, guys....let me put this issue to bed. I have the paperwork and will gladly post it. I was a turbine engine guy in the army for many many years, with DEPOT level orders I earned by training at the facility in Corpus Christi. I was also a crew chief on the CH47 for a long time too. I eventually had completed training in all ALLIED Shops with prop and rotor and hydraulics. I was then assigned to QC as a Technical Inspector. Now as far as the newest APU's in Chinooks, can't tell you . But from 1981 to 2000 I am good. The GPU's, the Hydraulic Mules, the Mobile Aircondition Units (for large facilities) for both the Army and Airforce were pretty much all T62's with various designations at the end to show what it was for. The fuel controllers had minor differences depending on whether it was do be on the ground or as a APU in the air. The majority of differences were in the gearboxes and starters. For APU they have a barometric/temperature dependent controlled fuel control and a high speed gearbox. In the Chinook it used a hydraulic starter and which became a hydraulic pump for aircraft systems. In the Blackhawk it had an air starter and it ran hydraulics and electrics.

The T62 designation is for the turbine only, and they are all the same, only the accessories are different. Just like the T53 lycoming turbine in the Huey, was also the engine used in the original Bronco Observation plane, they look different but the same engine. The T62 was adopted because of the numerous accesories that it could be used to change its mission.

Hi All

I agree 99% with sky guy. gear boxes and turbine housings are interchangeable with a lot of the T62 Series engines. I have used T39 turbine sections on both a 16B and T2A1 The T39 was less desirable than A 16B or T2A1 but the turbine sections are the same (not including the burner cans) But A T32 turbine housing will not fit any of these mentioned engines. But you can put The T32 wheels and burner can in and on the T2A1 style housing and get a 150HP T2A1 style engine So yes a lot of the T62 Series engines have interchangeable parts with each other just not with the T32

Doug