Turbinator annual inspection

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Its time again for my Helicycle to have its annual inspection. I like doing this just prior to Mentone as I am going over the machine very thoroughly and this is just the perfect time to do this.

This morning I drained the main transmission oil and changed the oil filter. This filter is also used on the turbine....and I go to my local NAPA Helicopter suppy store and purchase these.

You can see the plastic diaper I placed to keep any oil from dripping over my main drive belts. There is always a teaspoon of oil that dumps when the oil filter is taken out. Its nice not having to clean my drive belts of oil. Oily belts would lose more speed than my fairings have given me! ha

My Morosso oil cooler was also removed , drained...inspected....and refilled with new oil. I have a method that does not lose one drop of oil...and the filter is completely refilled avoiding having to add oil again after it is filled up.

I simply tape off one the elbows...and remove the opposite one , place a funnel in and fill it to just about the hole. Then take a small cup and fill it exactly. I then screw in the pipe threaded elbow that is already taped off...and set this aside. It is all precharged with oil and ready to go.

Anybody doing this.....please notice the oil filter position. You can out this in backwards, and block all oil pressure. You can see my oil pressure switch which I added early on...I love watching my red light in my dash blink out as soon as my rotorblades are up to 50 rpm.

I will post more stuff I do on my annual. To be honest, my annual is ongoing year round....but I just pick a time to do all the same stuff I have been doing all year long in one bliock of time.

Stan

Attachments

• July16 035.jpg
    July16 035.jpg
    132.9 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 036.jpg
    July16 036.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 037.jpg
    July16 037.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 032.jpg
    July16 032.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 038.jpg
    July16 038.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 041.jpg
    July16 041.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 043.jpg
    July16 043.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The left or right side of the swashplate fairing easily opens up for my every 100 hour transmission oil change which I just accomplished. There is a vent underneath the hood plate that I fill the transmission with new oil through. I could actually extend it and get to it from above...but no problem. I want to open it once in awhile to have a look around. The last picture is the oil level window for the main transmission.

The tail rotor gearbox oil is changed every 10 hours as it is such a small amount and I can inspect it. It comes out just a little darker amber color than it goes in new.

Typical grease job on the bearings....

more to come in the next 10 days or so. I will make a maintenance flight right before Mentone.....

This is just a great time to check it over...between last Saturdays fly-in and Mentone.

Stan

Attachments

• July16 047.jpg
    July16 047.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 049.jpg
    July16 049.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 046.jpg
    July16 046.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 0
  • July16 045.jpg
    July16 045.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I can just hear the song

I can just hear the song

"Blue Solo Cup.... I fill you up...."

LOL

You are amazing Stan!

You are amazing Stan!

You are so persnickety Stan; I admire that.

I make a big mess when I change oil and clean it up later.

I have tried to be neat with very limited success.

It looks like The Predator is on fire after an oil change as the exhaust burns off the spilled oil.

It looks like you are doing a very nice job.

How many hours since the last annual?

Thank you, Vance

Vance- I have done my share of oil staining concrete floors. Its just those drive belts that I wanted no oil on. My streamlining goes out the window with oily belts! Its easier for me to use funnels and plastic than gasoline and a roll of paper towels. Stan.

Stan- Are you pre-filling the oil cooler to avoid having an air pocket in the top 1/2 of it? It seems that if the output fitting was installed as high as possible in the end plate it would reduce the amount of air that gets trapped and increase the cooling capability. Mike

Mike- Exactly! I wanted to know there is no airpocket...so I had the lower outlet taped off while I filled in to the top, probably only leaving a lung full of air for a Mosquito.

Same thing as if you poured oil into your FRAM filter on your car. The oil level wont change after the first runup.

I was very pleased to see how clear my oil stays between changes. I could not detect any particles in the oil. I will send off a sample to get it analyzed.

Also, I have the internal filter out of the Morosso oil cooler. I am just using its outer shell with the radial plates for extra cooling. It keeps my transmission oil much cooler. The other day it was over 100 degrees and an extended hover still had my oil much cooler.

Stan

Last edited:
Proctology exam

Proctology exam

Any good physical requires a proctology exam....and going up the turbine exhaust with my proctocam is just something the Turbinator has to deal with.

I found the inside of the exhaust pipe unusually clean.....usually there is a thicker layer of carbon on the inside walls...instead of just a light dusting.

Saturday I flew about a dozen short flights...so maybe the startups burns some of the carbon out.....The temps and pressures were all fine. My fuel is kerosene from the same supplier.

It is still hard for me to imagine that turbine wheel spinning 61,500 rpm. That is over 1000 times a second.

Anyway...the turbine wheel feels nice and tight....and looks good also.

Stan

Attachments

• July18 004.jpg
    July18 004.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1
  • July18 009.jpg
    July18 009.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 1
Looks good to me. I guess I better make a call and see if my ship is done :)

Todd

Between flights I am checking off stuff for my annual. I was having just a little bit of drag on one rotorblade when I moved the cyclic. I suspended the rotor blades and removed the one blade....then took the hub apart.

There is a nut that can be loosened to remove the drag on the elastomeric bearing. The nut has a castellated lock nut which you can see on the picture. I did not want to back the main nut the whole amount for the next slot in the locknut....as this moves the CG of that blade out that much. I decided to instead take my calipers and gauge the thickness of the locking nut...and grind off just a few thousandths on the back side. That will let the main nut back out a smidgeon , just enough to free up the hub. I slowly ground it on my bench sander which does a good job. After 3 different slow bits of grinding...I had it where I could draw the locknut up and line up with the same hole for the locking pin. This has to be repeated on the other side as I want to move the CG of that blade out the same amount.

I can still do my annual and fly in between check offs.

Stan

Attachments

• July21 001.jpg
    July21 001.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 0
  • July21 002.jpg
    July21 002.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0
  • July21 003.jpg
    July21 003.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 0
  • July21 004.jpg
    July21 004.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 0
  • July21 006.jpg
    July21 006.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 0
  • July21 008.jpg
    July21 008.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 0
Todd- the inspection is almost done. I will finish it this weekend. In reality, my condition inspection on my gyros and this helicopter are continuous rotating checks of different systems. I just have them all done at once for my logbook sign off. Stan

That sounds like a good plan. It seems that the Helicycle is a well-engineered piece of equipment. Haven't heard of any gearbox failures, blade problems, etc. Best part is that there have been no burned up two-strokes:D

The Turbinator's annual is complete, and the logbook entry will be made Aug 1st. Stan

I guess another year passes with no "EMPTY WEIGHT" in the Airframe Logbook.;)

Bryan- I dont know what thorn you are trying to poke me with now, but there is a weight entered in my logbooks. I know what my mods weigh individually and have entered them as well. I have not weighed it with my mods, nor have plans to. Anything else you want to know?

Stan! :) No thorns... no poking... just razzin you in fun. Most builders boast about how LIGHT their ships came out and consider that just as much a factor in workmanship as a slick shiny paintjob and cool catchy "Custom N-Number." I just give you grief because your weight seems to be an international secret! :)

Is it phenomenally light or unbelievably heavy?

Bryan- seriously, it is a normal weight machine, with some very light weight performance enhancers, my aluminum fairings. The other mods were safety enhancements and very light. My backup battery was one pound. My tranfer pump was 3/4 of a pound. I put a few ounce heavier #e stsrter cable on it. My reinforcing cables are about one pound. My Morosso oil cooler probably the heaviest mod as I have to count the extra oil in it. But totaled up, about 12 pounds more weight. Stan