Tube amplifier

Master Roda

The Jedi
I just bought a Fender Twin Reverb on Ebay, built in '68.

Now I just gotta get the Gibson pre-1973 Les Paul to go with it. Put is a few bids, either they are broken necks, too expensive, or ambiguous serial numbers untraceable to pre '73. Or I just miss the bid. Hmm. Yama gyro gots ta come first right now, only so many projects I can support at one time. Gettin old n slow I guess.
That's ironic. My father in law recently aquired a rare guitar for cheap. He didn't even know what it was until he looked it up. I think he payed 800 for it. worth several thousand.

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
my neighbor and best friend in HS had a 1954 Les Paul Special that we used to play. Today you can't touch one for under $34,000, in any shape. His uncle, who loaned it to him for several years unconditionally, was a Detroit CW radio musician in the 50's, quite a picker in his time. His dad was Detroit cop.

I am becoming one of those old people who ramble.

You know Fried Green Tomatoes? I am becoming the old bee lady.

Last edited:

Master Roda

The Jedi
Isn't that crazy? You just never know what somethin is going to be worth someday.

Such as my quest for a tube amp. A common item in it's day. Now, hard to find. Oh well. I just might have to build one......ugh.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrobee, My design
Total Flight Time
I have several sets of stereo speakers that use Ribbon drivers. I have always used solid state amps to power them. The Amps I use most of the time are from Bryston. They can handle the low impedence of the full range ribbon speakers I have (Apogee Duetta signatures) as well as the speakers that use ribbons for the mids and highs (Magnepan MG-1B's and MG-2.4R's and Apogee column's) All are full range planar speakers. The Apogees are notoriously difficult to handle loads for amps while the Magnaplaners are fairly easy.
Audio Research amps are pretty highly regarded for their tube components. Conrad Johnson also makes tube amps although they aren't my favorites. There are several other vintage manufacturers like Macintosh and Fisher from the 50's that can be found sometimes. What you might want to try is to join an Audiophile forum and ask to borrow something from someone who is interested in your experiments.

Master Roda

The Jedi
I have several sets of stereo speakers that use Ribbon drivers. I have always used solid state amps to power them. The Amps I use most of the time are from Bryston. They can handle the low impedence of the full range ribbon speakers I have (Apogee Duetta signatures) as well as the speakers that use ribbons for the mids and highs (Magnepan MG-1B's and MG-2.4R's and Apogee column's) All are full range planar speakers. The Apogees are notoriously difficult to handle loads for amps while the Magnaplaners are fairly easy.
Audio Research amps are pretty highly regarded for their tube components. Conrad Johnson also makes tube amps although they aren't my favorites. There are several other vintage manufacturers like Macintosh and Fisher from the 50's that can be found sometimes. What you might want to try is to join an Audiophile forum and ask to borrow something from someone who is interested in your experiments.
I'm heading that direction. Thanks for the info!!

RotoPlane

Gold Supporter
Unless you already have a pre-amp, it will probably cost you more than $600 and you also need to buy the tubes separately for ~$85 (ST-70 with 35w/channel). If you need more power and want a really cool look, two mono Mark III amps (60w/ch) are wonderful. Guys would place two of these on a shelf (no covers) behind a glass door....the tubes look so neat in a darkened room ;). Of course you are now talking over a $1000, not counting the pre-amp.

Master Roda

The Jedi
Unless you already have a pre-amp, it will probably cost you more than $600 and you also need to buy the tubes separately for ~$85 (ST-70 with 35w/channel). If you need more power and want a really cool look, two mono Mark III amps (60w/ch) are wonderful. Guys would place two of these on a shelf (no covers) behind a glass door....the tubes look so neat in a darkened room ;). Of course you are now talking over a $1000, not counting the pre-amp.
That's cheaper than the 10,000 my friend was thinking :)

I'm starting out from scratch, so I don't really have anything. Well, a bunch of parts for the ribbons :) And the mid-subs for the ribbon cabinet. I bought the magnets I'll need.

RotoPlane

Gold Supporter
Several years ago I listened to ribbon and electrostatic speakers and I thought the sound was somewhat tinny or perhaps more like fragile. They each had their own distinctive sound, depending on what the speaker materials were. Of course this can also be true for cone speakers. But at the time my ear loved one Klipsch 4-way speaker, which was huge and very expensive. I could not tell the difference between live and speaker. This model Klipsch loved tube amps and the rich sound they provided. I'm looking forward to what you come up with Jon and how they sound.

Master Roda

The Jedi
Several years ago I listened to ribbon and electrostatic speakers and I thought the sound was somewhat tinny or perhaps more like fragile. They each had their own distinctive sound, depending on what the speaker materials were. Of course this can also be true for cone speakers. But at the time my ear loved one Klipsch 4-way speaker, which was huge and very expensive. I could not tell the difference between live and speaker. This model Klipsch loved tube amps and the rich sound they provided. I'm looking forward to what you come up with Jon and how they sound.
That's typical of ribbons, however, I've found a way to eliminate that "tinny" sound.

I can't wait to finish them and see their characteristics.