Trying To Fit In Closed Traffic With A Fixed Wing

Barry M14

Aircraft
American Ranger AR1
Total Flight Time
1,500 +
https://youtu.be/1OPiPIB0E_4
He was so far out on downwind that every time I looked away it took a couple of seconds to find him again. The camera doesn't pick him up till he turns base. I wonder if he thought he could really glide back if he lost his engine from out there.

Nice flying Barry!

I fly a little closer pattern than you.

Most fixed wing pilots do not fly a pattern that is conducive to landing with an engine out. Airport looks familiar, but don’t remember which one that is off hand. My first plane which was a 1946 Piper J3 with no electrical system thus no starter would sometimes quit when pulled back to idle on downwind so had to assure I could land. Had that problem addressed real fast after buying it. Previous owner neglected to tell me of this unique feature of the plane.

Dave,
I had my Rotax 912ULS quit once when I pulled it all the way back to idle upon landing... fortunately I had just touched down. I had a passenger and he was like, "Why is it suddenly so quiet?"
I started it right up again so I could taxi off the runway. I have since adjusted my minimum idle upward!

Most fixed wing pilots do not fly a pattern that is conducive to landing with an engine out. Airport looks familiar, but don’t remember which one that is off hand. My first plane which was a 1946 Piper J3 with no electrical system thus no starter would sometimes quit when pulled back to idle on downwind so had to assure I could land. Had that problem addressed real fast after buying it. Previous owner neglected to tell me of this unique feature of the plane.
In my experience, a J3 will develop carb ice and stop from idle if you sneeze, blink too often, wear brown shoes, or have an older sister.

In my experience, a J3 will develop carb ice and stop from idle if you sneeze, blink too often, wear brown shoes, or have an older sister.
Oh, My! Still laughing...

Do they have carb heat? Or were many landing engine offs?
I'd like to hear about those??

Yes they have carb heat, and in my case the J3 Cub had a wood prop so less inertia to keep it spinning compared to metal prop so had the idle increased slightly. For me that fixed my problem, but always used carb heat.

I rarely use carb heat here in Colorado as I did back in Massachusetts near the coast. After having the engine go out a few times on downwind in the J3 I always flew tight patterns to be able to land on the runway. This sometimes caused issues at airports where planes flew very wide patterns like at Block Island since I would always be closer to airport than planes calling downwind along the breach a couple miles out.

Those were some exciting times landing with no noise… Wood prop is nice too since do not have the gyroscopic effects on the nose when turning downwind to base and base to final like you do with heavier metal prop.