Trouble getting confirmation.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2600+ in rotorcraft
Thank you to whoever is currently moderating the Rotary Wing Forum.

I learn a lot here.

I have a client who has been waiting for conformation for months and tried a second time recently and got a message that he was already in the system awaiting confirmation.

Stephen W email is [email protected]

I would be grateful if you would manage this because I feel he has a lot to offer the members of the Rotary Wing Forum and from time to time he wants to check my answers to his questions.

PS:
I've had two people contact me that they too have been waiting weeks and still not approved.

I received an email from Roland that he has been waiting several months for approval of his Rotary Wing Forum account so he can post.

I feel there is value in continuing to grow the Rotary Wing Forum and hope someone will find the time to approve the people who are interested.

I find the Facebook pages populated with bad information and still feel the Rotary Wing Forum is the best source for gyroplane information.

Thank you for all you do.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 0
Agree with you! Wonder who's driving the forum? But add - information? Most times nothing of any lasting value and if it was try to find it in 6 months.

I received an email from Roland that he has been waiting several months for approval of his Rotary Wing Forum account so he can post.
If you look at who the administrators are, you can see that the "last visit" showing for any of them was back in June...

Thank you to whoever is currently moderating the Rotary Wing Forum.

I learn a lot here.

I have a client who has been waiting for conformation for months and tried a second time recently and got a message that he was already in the system awaiting confirmation.

Stephen W email is [email protected]

I would be grateful if you would manage this because I feel he has a lot to offer the members of the Rotary Wing Forum and from time to time he wants to check my answers to his questions.
I sent Todd a PM today asking if he would appoint some active forum member as an Admin to handle these details.

Last edited:
Jim Graham here in Tennessee has been trying to get Admin approval for a while also.
I just received a message from him this morning, asking about it.

I suspect we are all Laboratory Rats endlessly wandering around the assorted mazes, while being quietly watched by White-Coats holding clipboards, pens poised, to test the hypothesis of how this rotor society adapts & reacts, whether we are solitary or combining into groups, w/out any outside control nor interference...:unsure:

What was that? I thought I heard whispering off to my right! And, why is the temperature in here always a constant level, never cold, nor hot?

Last edited:
I think they have all lost interest. If you look at the members Page, under Staff, the last visit of any administrator was about eight months ago...
The last time Todd was on site, he suspended/banned a bunch of people and threads, and I don't think any new members have been admitted since then.

I was just informed yesterday by an automatic PayPal email that my annual contribution to the rotary forum's expenses was deducted from my checking account & was sent on to Todd. It shows a gmail address of toddpow.

I also have wondered about the apparent lack of moderators doing any monitoring. The important issue is no new members who wish to participate in the forum cannot do so until approved.

Kevin, maybe you, or someone else that knows him well, can contact Todd via email?
I know Bobby has tried to contact him here by PM, but if he never comes here he will not have seen it.

I did meet Todd once, about 20 yrs. back, when he flew a small airplane in from Spokane, Wa. for one of our Chapter 73 mtgs. @ Scappoose. Haven't had any contact w/ him since, other than contributions to the rotary forum.

Both Ron Awad & Paul Plack had a lot of contact w/ Todd, who owns/used to own a Dominator gyro.

I did have someone contact me asking for my help joining the forum 2-3 yrs. ago, who hadn't had any success joining the forum. I sent a PM to both Todd & Mike asking on his behalf to join this forum.

A few weeks later that individual contacted me again thanking me for my efforts, as he had been granted access. Never heard of him since. Also never heard anything from Todd or Mike.

It'd be great if several active forum members were granted moderator status. It must be like "Dirty Jobs". Ron Awad asked to be relieved of his moderator status a long time ago.

Last edited:
Since a handful of former forum participants were banned for uncivilized behavior (from what little I observed, the vast majority of those banned were for members who used profanity-to-the-extreme, as well as those who were warned about abusive keyboard behavior w/ a temporary ban), the forum has basically been a wonderful place to go to for information about rotary wing flight. IMHO, the remaining members are just about 100% respectful.

Lots of interactions & sharing of tips, experiences, photos & videos. To me, it is the kind of utopia that dreamers imagined the world-wide web could be!

I remember Todd Powell emphasizing how this forum could enhance safety among pilots of rotorcraft. I read from that his concern for his fellow pilots. I am sure that some people are alive today that have learned from mistakes others made that resulted in their deaths from this aeronautical activity. I know I have tempered my flying w/ thoughts of what might happen if I do this, or that!

Last edited:
Since a handful of former forum participants were banned for uncivilized behavior (from what little I observed, the vast majority of those banned were for members who used profanity-to-the-extreme, as well as those who were warned about abusive keyboard behavior w/ a temporary ban), the forum has basically been a wonderful place to go to for information about rotary wing flight. IMHO, the remaining members are just about 100% respectful.

Lots of interactions & sharing of tips, experiences, photos & videos. To me, it is the kind of utopia that dreamers imagined the world-wide web could be!

I remember Todd Powell emphasizing how this forum could enhance safety among pilots of rotorcraft. I read from that his concern for his fellow pilots. I am sure that some people are alive today that have learned from mistakes others made that resulted in their deaths from this aeronautical activity. I know I have tempered my flying w/ thoughts of what might happen if I do this, or that!
Indeed, Kevin. But I am reminded of the movie 'Children Of Men.' Without new blood the forum shrivels and dies eventually. I did see a new member post here recently though but do not know when he originally joined. I also do not know if admins need be logged into the forum to set up new members with a password, etc., or if this is all handled backdoor. So I can't assume admins are completely absent.

Does anyone here know the most recent new membership approval? That might tell us if last login by an admin has any bearing on new member approval. I just get nervous about the forum being an hermetically sealed ecosystem.

I am a "spare" moderator on a small discussion forum ... it has a small and specialized membership (geological instruments) .... requires approval to become a member.

My point is this .... there are at least 15 spammers a day applying to join .... that is 105 per week ...... 420 per month ..... almost 6000 per year.

It became so tedious nobody wanted to sift through them and we quit trying. .... I suspect a forum the size of RWF suffers from the same thing ... but likely a lot more than 15 a day. .

There is software that requires new members to have at least 5 posts before they can post links (to spam or whatever) .... was a temporary solution until spammers now join and immediately post 5 generic messages such as ... "its great to be here" .... then they link 20 posts of spam immediately afterward.

I have never killed anyone but if I met a spammer it would be tempting.

I'm on other forums that have this issue as well. On one of them, there's a scrolling banner that warns people that the normal membership request is disabled. It gives an email address to contact to be added. I wonder if maybe something like that would be less time consuming for the moderators. I also wonder if maybe some of the trusted veteran members of the forum could be given activation authority? It really is a shame to have the forum be read-only for any new members.

Cheers,
Rusty