Tropical storm Gustav

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Sorry guys but it does not look good for the La. guys, just got off the weather channel with the latest storm track.....

Attachments

• gustav_track.JPG
    gustav_track.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 0
It looks like an urologist ready to perform the prostate probe!
Jokes and grief apart maybe they will bring some needed money to the area!
My friends in Florida are strugling to get by.
Heron

Hurricane Gustav

Hurricane Gustav

Its a numbing feeling to sit here and wait to see whats going to happen. I live 3 miles from Lake Charles, La. I suppose me and the wife will ride it out again if it stays the projected course. Whats funny is that those courses change and part of the eye past over my house with the last hurricane. Hmmm! I didn't want to leave because on the first day of evacuation, I saw all the traffic backing up and most of the people got caught up in the traffic jams and it took 12 hours to travel 20 miles. Yesterday, I bought a new air conditioner and today I installed it in the kitchen window. I bought 40 gallons of gas for my generators, filled up my truck and my wifes' cars. Oh yeah, we bought extra food and junk food and water. I'm kind of crazy about these hurricanes and bad weather. I get excited about it coming my direction and getting to experience natures wonder of the world. I don't want to see anyone get hurt and most of the people that stay, regret it. I did, but I am ready to ride out this one like the last one. My wife even wants to stay with me.
I am nervous and cautious and crazy, but thats never been a secret.:usa2:

I had to take a second look at the map Scott, that schit was funny!

I am going tomorrow to fill up my 120 gallon gas jug on wheels I keep at the airport, it is about empty and I will need to fill it soon, and I suspect this storm will be a good excuse for the gas stations to jack the prices by the time the weekend is over if not before then

This must be a serious situation, The Red Cross sent my department a special request to attend a training session for anyone able to deploy for 2 weeks. Got home to late to attend, but if it hits hard I'll do my best to get there. My commissioners might take a slim view of me leaving again as I just returned from a 7 day fire deployment.

Ron,

Yep they jacking up prices already. Yesterday it was $3.59 a gallon and today $3.79 a gallon. Some stations were running out here in South Lake Charles.

After hurricane Rita I had come back the day afterwards to secure our homes. Snuck in the back way.

This time they are saying no one will be allowed back soon after Gustav hits here. So, I'm thinking of just staying instead of ervacuating.

They can't garantee my home good enough for me to leave it and not be able to come back when I want. Everyone wants power over someone in these situations.

We got a lot of extra food and drinking water shortly after Rita hit so we was going to drive down to Cameron Parish 45 mile south of us. They really got hit hard and I wanted to bring them our exrtra stuff.

The army stopped us half way and told us to leave. I won't waste my fuel to try and help Cameron Parish folks by giving them our food and water this time. They treated us like we were going down there to rob them or something.

I have ten cases of MRE's left over from hurricane Rita that they would have gotten but hey, I'm glad I have them MRE's now.

My neighbor stayed during Rita and he told me that he slept the whole night and never woke a once. I figure he musta been pretty drunkened up or somethin.

I know one thing, this time I'm gonna take a whole bunch of pictures. It's amazing what kinda things go crazy during a hurricane. We'll keep in touch!!!!

Good luck to all you folks in the way, stay safe and hoping it all stays OK for you.

Hey Mark,I rode out "Donna" in 1960.in the fields in south Florida tring to keep the water from rising above the dikes around our pepper fields,did'nt work. Was stuck out there for about five days before the water fell enough to get across the slough. My daughter was born while I was stuck out there,Did'nt name her "donna" eithor!

When I become the PREZ....

I'll build a wall all around....maybe they won't blow it up again.

Oh Yea,, What happened to all them fine trailers, I'd love to have one..

Yall get on your waders boy's, and stock up lottsa watermellons

Hurricane

Hurricane

M. Pearce,

Be prepared as I know you are. I was in Lake Charles in 1982 when a hurricane raised the ocean up into the city. My van stalled and would not start, water rose up to the engine block. I had no choice but to sleep in the back of the truck for the night thinking I might be afloat in the Gulf in the morning. But I woke early to honking, my van in the middle of the street now dry and me being a traffic obstruction. Lucky the van started and I rode of along my way. Exciting story for me but if I had gotten out of the truck, even a foot of water moving at 30 mph will sweep anyone away. Be safe ..........

OH,yes.......... drop a dime on that gas station for gouging prices, I think it is against to law. They tried it here in Tampa last week and the government came down on them, guess gov. can do some good, sometimes.

If you are prepared and survive, no big deal . . .after 10 hurricanes I kinda got used to them.
Not looking good for N. Orleans area though.
Heron

Steve,

We suspect one of those trailers is what got my Dad so down health wise.

Dad was having problems and his energy level was way down.

He went in for some checkups and found his heart valve was leaking.

So, Doc talked him into a quick surgery, he is one of the best doctors in the country.

It turned into six and a half hours on the operating table changing the valve and two bypasses.

Dad was recovering really well but he had septic shock from the surgery and his intestines shut down.

I often wonder if it was the formaldahide fumes from that Fema trailer he was living in.

I couldn't stand to go inside the trailer for more than thirty minutes at a time.

Anyway, the guys that came to pick up the trailer told us that Fema was having them smashed and buried in a landfill.

At first when Dad got the trailer they told him he had an option to purchase it but rumor got out that they wanted em back.

The guys told me that many a houndred of really fine camper trailers got covered in the Fema landfills even though they did not smell.

I heard that the Government paid like $68,000.00 for each one of those trailers.

The trailer Dad had looked like it was slapped together in a couple of hours.

Man what a waste!

Thomas,

Sleepin in a van during a hurricane? Man you must be able to sleep anywhere.

As for those gas stations, heck they all went up on prices. The funny part is Citgo refinery is just over the bridge from us.

BUD,

I wasn't even born yet in 1960 but my Grandpaw told me how bad it was when Hurricane Audry hit.

Pawpaw said everything was dead, cows, horses, and what wasn't dead bloated and stinking was trying to bite you.

Paw said that if you saw a snake you had to kill it on site or it would come at you a striking to bite you.

I guess salt water makes everything crazy and sick.

Last edited:
Ron E,

When Rita hit Lake Charles I was here the day afterwards making sure the house and critters were secure.

My Wife and one year old boy had went on to Panama Beach Florida with my Brother Inlaw and his Wife.

The resort put us up in a room for up to two weeks if we needed.

Thank God for the nice people of Florida for helping us like they did.

But man was I shocked to see the devastation Katrina did to Mississippi when I drove through to Florida.

I saw houndreds of empty red plastic gas cans and cars on the side of the HiWay where people had run outta gas.

I can only imagine long hot hours and gridlock those people must have gone through on that HiWay.

It felt weird to see thousands of pine trees still standing and not having a single limb or leaf attached.

I saw probably a houndred of those huge steel billboard advertizment signs just bend down and twisted like as if pretzles.

I was totally blown away and amazed at what I saw that Katrina did to Mississippi.

Those Mississipiens went through hell and back and didn't get half the publicity New Orleans got.

I just hope they got outta New Orleans this time.

Last edited:
If your interested,

Well 5:10 PM and just a little bit of wind and some rain in Central Lake Charles.

Still have electricity and Air Conditioning.

Talked to my Brother that lives south of Lake Charles and he has been working in his yard all day.

Don't believe everything you see on TV.

I don't know where they get all these kids that they put in these big government positions and especially the ones doing the news.

I haven't seen one cop all day, how they gonna protect my home if I can't see them.

Now at the news station they are beggin for pictures of storm damage.

My newspaper got wet, wonder if that counts!

Ya'll have a good evening.