Tropical Depression/Storm Ian of Concern to Western Florida and Panhandle

Mike:

Moved to Kerrville, TX in 2017. Saw you were stationed at Ft Huachuca. I started my Government career there in 1969!

Good luck with storm/aftermath.

Bobby
Just went outside looks like I might have minimal damage. A few shingles missing and a tree blown over. I only took the dog out to pee he was scared because it’s still blowing and raining a bit.
I live next to Tampa North Airpark about 20 miles west of Zephyrhills. Still have power, natural gas and water. No damage that I am aware of. Just a lot of rain and wind.
Me too Phil. I’m missing some shingles and a tree blew over. Been without power since 6pm yesterday. This is gonna be fun.

We lost power at the hanger at Zephyrhills. Hopefully it is restored soon. After Irma they took over a week to restore it. I had no damage at the house and power remained on. Some trees in conservation snapped. I heard Wachula got hit hard but mainly south of Sarasota is where the real damage occurred

My comment earlier in this thread about politics did not apply to parties, it was related to HOA's, Florida's lack of meaningful zoning and building restrictions (County ((Lee)) and State level) and extremely developer friendly attitude.

Last edited:
My comment earlier in this thread about politics did not apply to parties, it was related to HOA's, Florida's lack of meaningful zoning and building restrictions (County ((Lee)) and State level) and extremely developer friendly attitude.
Well they did some sneaky crap I didn’t even realize they did. I think they did it on the down low. There was an influx of so many people getting solar power that our local electric company here Tampa electric was losing money so using the excuse that they had to shut down their coal plant and go to natural gas they are now charging me Too $47 fuel fees before I ever even use any of their electricity. My electric bill went from $30 in the winter time and $53 in the winter time the last two years that I’ve had the solar to now $174. They had to get approval from the public service commission to be able to put this fuel fee in but we never heard about it or even got to comment on it. Just showed up on the bill one day. People without solar are seeing their bills double and triple. Sure do miss that clean coal.

Even though we were very lucky, the people around Fort Myers etc. were not. A cousin lives in Fort Myers. Her house is surrounded by water and she has no power or phone. She is lucky. Much of the area near her, people have houses under 3 or 4 foot of water. I am seeing that there is even flooding in Orlando and people are getting rescued in airboats. That in Orlando is because of so much quick rain. My prayers and thoughts for these people. We should definitely help and do what we can

For those who are Amateur Radio Operators:

Hurricane Watch Net 40m (7.268) LSB
Hurricane Watch Net 20m (14.325) USB
SarNET Florida Network (444.075) FM

For those who are not Amateur Radio Operators, one can listen to HF frequencies through a WebSDR website. WebSDR is a Software-Defined Radio receiver connected to the internet, allowing many listeners to listen and tune it simultaneously. SDR technology makes it possible that all listeners tune independently, and thus listen to different signals.

Here's a website with a list of all the WebSDR receivers all around the world.

From the list, choose an SDR along the East Coast or the Mid-West of the US to listen to any HF radio traffic in regards to the hurricane. When the storm passes will be the time whereas the frequencies will come alive with emergency traffic.

Wayne

Hurricane Watch Net

Hurricane Watch Net 40m (7.268) LSB is operating right now

Wayne

Does anyone know how Wauchula airport, hangars & gyro locals came through???

Does anyone know how Wauchula airport, hangars & gyro locals came through???
I spoke to Slow Joe the day before and he was with his son and headed North to Homeland to get out of its way. Haven’t spoken to him since to find out if he’s been back. I don’t have power yet so news has been little to none. Hopefully we will get power back soon. I will call Joe tomorrow.

Well they did some sneaky crap I didn’t even realize they did. I think they did it on the down low. There was an influx of so many people getting solar power that our local electric company here Tampa electric was losing money so using the excuse that they had to shut down their coal plant and go to natural gas they are now charging me Too $47 fuel fees before I ever even use any of their electricity. My electric bill went from $30 in the winter time and $53 in the winter time the last two years that I’ve had the solar to now $174. They had to get approval from the public service commission to be able to put this fuel fee in but we never heard about it or even got to comment on it. Just showed up on the bill one day. People without solar are seeing their bills double and triple. Sure do miss that clean coal.
Energy costs will continue to go up and there will be more brown outs. Good time to invest in your own diesel generator.

Energy costs will continue to go up and there will be more brown outs. Good time to invest in your own diesel generator.
Yeah as long as certain attitudes toward US Energy independence are allowed to make policy. You can’t tell me we went from using almost complete domestic energy to now we are depleting energy supplies causing this crap in two and a half years. It’s not a supply problem it a poor Energy policy imposed on us by someone with their own agenda. It’s makes all of us suffer. If you look up there’s enough oil in the Gulf of Mexico to last the United States almost 200 years if we were to use it but we put people like this in place who impose their energy ideas on us and we’re stuck to pay the price.

Hurricane Watch Net

Hurricane Watch Net 40m (7.268) LSB is operating right now

Wayne

Back to Hurricane Ian.

Hurricane Watch Net 40m (7.268) LSB is operating right now.

All can listen from the following WebSDR:

Wayne

Going on day four without power. Never knew how annoying all the gross sounds coming from my English Bulldog could be. A dead silent house makes every noise loud and clear. Anyone want a bulldog? I’m about to cut his tongue out if I hear him licking his feet anymore. Jk I gave him Benadryl hoping it’ll make him sleep and stop itching. Just never realized how annoying his noises are I guess they get drowned out by all the other sounds of the house when the electricity is on.

Going on day four without power. Never knew how annoying all the gross sounds coming from my English Bulldog could be. A dead silent house makes every noise loud and clear. Anyone want a bulldog? I’m about to cut his tongue out if I hear him licking his feet anymore. Jk I gave him Benadryl hoping it’ll make him sleep and stop itching. Just never realized how annoying his noises are I guess they get drowned out by all the other sounds of the house when the electricity is on.
One of the reasons I hate using AC is all the constant noise it makes! Even in the year I spent in the Sinai, I routinely left my room and office AC off.
If it's anything under about 90º out, I'm just opening a window, despite whatever random outside sounds may float in.

Honestly don’t think this is politics just my observations of life here. I will delete it though. I can’t share my view on FB anymore. It seems it got me banned for life. Don’t want that to happen here too.
That is a good thing to be off FB. I hope they continue to cut off customers who don’t think the same as they do. Can you imagine if other companies did that too? Eventually will only have a society like China. I sent a video link of me flying my gyro to a friend who I met in Nanjing while hiking and he couldn’t view it since it was blocked. Had to mail photos instead.

One of the reasons I hate using AC is all the constant noise it makes! Even in the year I spent in the Sinai, I routinely left my room and office AC off.
If it's anything under about 90º out, I'm just opening a window, despite whatever random outside sounds may float in.
Omg I was going insane without background noise. I have horrible tinnitus the quiet was so loud. As far as sleeping with windows open unless it’s cooler than 68 I don’t do it. The first three nights without power wasn’t too bad because it was cool. The last night was hot. I’m good now with power and AC.