Trojan Heavy lift

Greg Vos

Aircraft
R44/22 H269/300 MD 500 Magni (all); Xenon RST; DTA; ELA; MTO Trojan
Total Flight Time
Stoped counting at 2000
Both built in South Africa, both very capable machines both used by the Special Forces …both reliable and robust and I thought I would share this pic

Attachments

• Trojan Heavy lift
    IMG_7580.png
    424 KB · Views: 66
Wikipedia info states that only 11 such helicopters were manufactured in SA. (Twelve actually, one crashed).
Nothing personal, but I think there would have been more numbers manufactured if the demand was there for them.

Wikipedia info states that only 11 such helicopters were manufactured in SA. (Twelve actually, one crashed).
Nothing personal, but I think there would have been more numbers manufactured if the demand was there for them.
SA was under all sorts of embargo orders as a reaction to apartheid back then, so the true potential demand might be obscured.

True. But this is 2023. If the product was saleable, it should have resumed production since 2015. They were targeting sales for five countries. But none materialized.

I have seen first hand lesser projects being bought for more $$$ by govt. agencies.
It's the standard, not an exception......
The MFG. probably wasn't connected to the right politicians, or didn't grease enough palms.....

Wrong… it was political had nothing to do with the ability of the machine …it was a strong contender to the apache, due to a smaller budget than the USA suppliers and with a main gearbox being a big question as it came from the Puma…along with political interference there were a few more than 11 …in dusty sand storm environments it was proved superior to anything available at the time , it was developed during the apartheid years and SA was not embraced by the free world….since apartheid and under black rule SA has fallen apart…..google some of the innovations produced by Denel 😉

Last edited:
The circumstances at the time were against it, and unfortunately now, with the countrywide regression taking place, impossible to produce.

So sad!!!

The engineers, and staff, at Simera and Atlas/Denel were world class innovators.

Jim

Last edited:
Wrong… it was political had nothing to do with the ability of the machine …it was a strong contender to the apache, due to a smaller budget than the USA suppliers and with a main gearbox being a big question as it came from the Puma…along with political interference there were a few more than 11 …in dusty sand storm environments it was proved superior to anything available at the time , it was developed during the apartheid years and SA was not embraced by the free world….since apartheid and under black rule SA has fallen apart…..google some of the innovations produced by Denel 😉
I never said it's a bad helicopter. I just mentioned about the low numbers for sales. Wikipedia doesn't mention anything about the reasons for that.

I too think you guys got the short end of the stick for whatever reason, for a good helicopter. A service ceiling of 20k ft for it is impressive. All that I'm saying is that according to the stats on Wikipedia, SA had no sales outside of the country, for whatever reason. And this hasn't changed since.

Hope things get better in future, and demand picks up.

And this hasn't changed since.

Hope things get better in future,
They have unfortunately...continued to spiral down since that time. The Trojan does however seem a bright spot in the gyro world and I sincerely wish it success.

Last edited:
Hi Greg,
In an earlier thread you said the Trojan could be fitted with shoulder harness. Do you recall where they tie in to structure?

The prices you have intimated are amazing ($43,500 for the 600 hour machine).

I know you are focusing on producing working machines, has planning been done for EAB kits?

Jim

Last edited:
Hi Greg,
In an earlier thread you said the Trojan could be fitted with shoulder harness. Do you recall where they tie in to structure?

The prices you have intimated are amazing ($43,500 for the 600 hour machine).

I know you are focusing on producing working machines, has planning been done for EAB kits?

Jim
Kits for home build applications will be ready shortly we are just completing a parts warehousing structure to ensure we are ready to supply and support, not wanting to supply a kit then find a client needs a spare and we don’t have it in stock.

Attached are some
ics showing the harness, hope it helps

Attachments

• Trojan Heavy lift
    IMG_7597.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Trojan Heavy lift
    IMG_7596.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 20
  • Trojan Heavy lift
    1128e886-d46a-4348-9815-6c69581c1eb1.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 19