Transponders

blackbird

Aircraft
1983 Tierra T-bird, Kolb Kolbra.
Total Flight Time
250 hours
Does anyone know of a web site for used transponders? I know that a good one is in the $ 1,200.00 price range because they have to have the paperwork to go with them. Also do they all have altitude encoders?

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
Re:Transponders

Barnstormers.com has some used avionics equipment. You might also look on e-bay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but anything that has been "yellow tagged" should be checked out and workable. John Landry installed a transponder on his gyrobee. It seems like he had 1200-1500 into the entire installation.

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
MTO Sport, Bensen, LittleWing LW-3, Breezy
Total Flight Time
4000+

Wayne, pick up a copy of Trade-a Plane...most all the avionics ads sell used equipment ...check in the classified section under "Transponders" and you will find many individuals selling also.

The encoder is always an extra box that is wired in to the transponder.

blackbird

Aircraft
1983 Tierra T-bird, Kolb Kolbra.
Total Flight Time
250 hours

Thanks guys,

So if I can put all my information in one basket. I was going to use a transponder for reasons of safety vs. cost. However, I understand that being yellow tagged must mean that it is operating correctly. It also must be annually checked. It is also regulated by the FCC.

Unless you are doing a lot of cross country flying a radio tuned to the proper frequency in your area will suffice.

I was concerned about other traffic in your flying area, but always looking and knowing the area will always help.

Thanks for the information. Amazing how you can put more money in a panel than the whole aircraft is worth if you don't shop close.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT

Wayne what is the Xponder for? the T bird? Or did you get something new and faster?