Training with Gyro Revolution in Long Island, NY

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
In anticipation of completing my gyro this summer/fall, I have contacted a facility called Gyro Revolution in Long Island, NY that is not far from me.
https://www.gyrorev.com/
I know nothing about this outfit but am scheduled for a first phone meeting with them this evening to get things moving. The flight trainer's name is Robert Lutz and he has posted on here before but don't think he's that active on this forum.

Has anyone here trained with Robert or have any experience with this outfit? One thing that piqued my curiosity was that he was listed as the test pilot for Luminati Aerospace but has split with that company for unknown reasons. I seem to recall there was a stink of sorts between Luminati and Ernie Boyette about selling the Dragin Wings business but I may have the names and circumstances confused.

To be an educated consumer and conscientious student, I'm just curious what other folks know about them and their training. They follow the Gyropedia curriculum. Thanks for any info.

Brian Jackson

I have had quite a few conversations with Robert over the last few years regarding gyros. He seems to me a really nice, open, and honest guy. He is on my list to buy from and get trained by.

I have had quite a few conversations with Robert over the last few years regarding gyros. He seems to me a really nice, open, and honest guy. He is on my list to buy from and get trained by.
That's great to know. Haven't spoken with him yet other than passing a couple of emails. They seem legit and Robert is listed as having ~8,000 hrs. in gyros. Pretty impressive, and being close by is a huge bonus. Thank you, Mike, for the info.

Hi Brian - some instructors are hesitant about providing dual instruction for a student to transition to single place gyro. Just FYI.

I ran into this while looking for instruction to fly my Sportcopter M912 single place gyro. I had to take instruction from more than one instructor until I found someone to sign me off knowing I was planning on soloing in single place gyro. Chris Lord ended up helping me, but he focused his instruction on what I should expect when soloing the M912 vs the dual gryo. You may have to seek training outside your local area too.

In any case, wish you the best in your training. Fly safe!

I share what little I know about Robert Lutz Brian.

I attended the Gyropedia event in Arizona in 2019 with Robert Lutz and he appeared to me to be bright, articulate and knowledgeable.

He appeared to me to have a broad range of aviation experience and knowledge.

I have not flown with him.

I feel Gyropedia is a useful training syllabus particularly for a primary student (no other aviation certificates).

Robert is an airline Transport Pilot,

Airplane Multi Engine Land

with Commercial Privileges for Airplane Single Engine Land,

Airplane Single Sea,

Rotorcraft Helicopter and Gyroplane.

Robert is a flight instructor for Airplane Single and Multiengine,

Instrument Airplane

Rotorcraft Helicopter and Gyroplane.

I will be interested in your opinion Brian as I have not spoken with any of his clients.

Thank you, gentlemen, for the great insights. Will be speaking with Robert tonight.

Dave,
Great point on the type transition. However, in my original email correspondence with him I was specific about the ship I was building and the purpose of the training. We will talk more about the things you mentioned just to be clear. Thanks for bringing that up.

Well, after all these years it looks like it's finally happening. Cheers.

Brian

Given all that reported by Vance, it's likely he has 8000 hours total all types, not 8000 in gyros. People with that much gyro time are pretty rare.

Given all that reported by Vance, it's likely he has 8000 hours total all types, not 8000 in gyros. People with that much gyro time are pretty rare.
I may have misinterpreted the flight hours. Will ask him. Did seem like quite a lot for a gyro.

I suspect you will have a good experience with Robert. He and I flew several hours and days in May of 2015 and there was nothing he couldn't handle at that time. Those that know me know I can put you through the wringer. I'm sure his skills have only gotten even better in the gyro world. I suspect that 8000 is in all types also. Time with Robert for me was quite enjoyable. Enjoy Brian.

Brian, I flew with Rob Lutz last May, when MacArthur was all but closed. He was giving me some flight instruction in his Cavalon for WINGS credit (in lieu of BFR). I thought he was a very good instructor and I enjoyed the experience. We couldn't quite finish what we had intended, however, because his engine had some kind of problem on takeoff on what was to be our last flight of the day, so he wisely asked the tower for an immediate landing and apologised that we couldn't finish, but... safety first. And I totally agreed. I'm sure that's all been sorted by now.
If MacArthur is busy I think it will be an eye-opening experience just as far as the kind of airspace you'll be in, but there is some pretty spectacular scenery on LI, and you'll be in good hands.

PS if you grew up there, you say ON Long Island, not IN Long Island ☺️

Last edited:
Unless you live in Australia :), one of our highest time mustering pilots has well north of 20,000.
That's like flying three hours a day, seven days a week, for twenty straight years...

Last edited:
I suspect you will have a good experience with Robert. He and I flew several hours and days in May of 2015 and there was nothing he couldn't handle at that time. Those that know me know I can put you through the wringer. I'm sure his skills have only gotten even better in the gyro world. I suspect that 8000 is in all types also. Time with Robert for me was quite enjoyable. Enjoy Brian.
Hi Chris.

I spoke with Robert last night and wow, very nice, straight-up guy. Grilled me on some details to make sure I've got the right attitude about safety and discipline. Your name came up and some wonderful things were said. Type transitioning was discussed, so if he decides to train me it may include test flying my new single-place build, pending logs and a thorough structural examination. As luck would have it he and I have nearly identical ht. and wt. so no adjustments needed.

Anyway, thanks for conveying that vote of confidence. Think this is going to work out well. Hope you are doing well also. Cheers.

Brian

Brian, I flew with Rob Lutz last May, when MacArthur was all but closed. He was giving me some flight instruction in his Cavalon for WINGS credit (in lieu of BFR). I thought he was a very good instructor and I enjoyed the experience. We couldn't quite finish what we had intended, however, because his engine had some kind of problem on takeoff on what was to be our last flight of the day, so he wisely asked the tower for an immediate landing and apologised that we couldn't finish, but... safety first. And I totally agreed. I'm sure that's all been sorted by now.
If MacArthur is busy I think it will be an eye-opening experience just as far as the kind of airspace you'll be in, but there is some pretty spectacular scenery on LI, and you'll be in good hands.

PS if you grew up there, you say ON Long Island, not IN Long Island ☺️
Hi again Tyler.

That is great to know. I was very impressed with Robert and his emphasis on safety and thoroughness. Just what's needed. BTW, I get my 2'nd vaccine dose today so perhaps in the next few weeks we can meet for lunch. Would be great to chat again. Take care.

Brian

Building time the hard way Wolfy, that’s major grafting. 👍

Hello gentlemen I saw this on here and thought I would add my 2 cents for what it's worth. I had the opportunity to fly into McAurther with Rob Lutz some time ago in my Autogyro Cavalon 914RB if you look on their website I think you will still find a photo of my aircraft. Rob and Kristen are great people and were setting up their operation and had their certified version ordered at the time but needed a ship for a photo shoot with FOX NEWS so Autogyro suggested they contact me and see if I would bring my aircraft there for the interview. Rob has been flying for quite some time and seems to have the right personality to be a good instructor and I think you will like flying with him. I built my Cavalon the end of 2016 and put 600 hours on it in the first two years so I don't need much of a reason to fly just a little time and will take the opportunity to fly with some of these guys whenever I can. I was also fortunate enough to get the chance to fly with Chris Lord in the Xennon and in 339SC the silver sportcopter II out in Iowa and that was what got me into flying gyros. More recently I was lucky enough to have met up with James Ketchell when he stopped in at the American Helicopter Museum in West Chester Pa. on his around the world tour, very nice guy and we got to take off from there and fly together for a while on the next leg of his flight. I am based at N13 Bloomsburg, Pa. so if any of you guys get in the area don't hesitate to stop in and say hello I will buy you lunch and we can swap flying stories. Fly often and be safe.