Training question

wylie

Is it possible to get a sport pilot license for gyro and then use that training toward a higher level of license. I would prefer to first get the Sport pilot license then eventually get the gyro licenses needed to fly cross country and in bad weather. Which type of CFI do I need to look for at the beginning.
Thanks,
William

A sport pilot rating in gyro can have extra training and endorsements added ...for towered airports and something else that evades my memory right now! Part of sport pilot training is cross country flight & planning! (shorter legs & total distance than for private!)

About the only extra for gyro that private level does is the ability to fly at night ....so long as your gyro is equipped for night operations!
I do not think anyone flys gyro in instrument weather conditions!

About the only extra for gyro that private level does is the ability to fly at night ....so long as your gyro is equipped for night operations!
I do not think anyone flys gyro in instrument weather conditions!
A private pilot rating will allow you to fly heavier and more complex gyros that are beyond sport pilot privileges (controllable prop, beyond 1320 pounds, articulated rotors, etc. ). The extra training, experience, and standard required may also make you a better pilot.

There are no IFR approved gyros and no gyro instrument rating to be had in the U.S.

Last edited:
more complex gyros that are beyond sport pilot privileges (controllable prop, beyond 1320 pounds, articulated rotors, etc. ).
does that even exist?
When I search gyros about the only thing I see are the little ones

There are many gyroplanes that do not meet the FAA Sport Pilot limitations.
There are not popular in the USA.
Most Gyrooplane pilots in the USA are Sport Pilot, Gyroplane.
There is at least one three seat gyroplane in production and a four seat prototype.
The gyroplane I teach in is not Sport Pilot Legal although it is legal to train a Sport Pilot.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5
I found that by the time I was ready to solo I had nearly enough hours of dual to qualify for private pilot; the main thing I then needed was some night training, as well as solo cross-countries that were a bit longer. The knowledge test for private was not all that different from sport, in my opinion (I ended up taking both).

does that even exist?
When I search gyros about the only thing I see are the little ones
The one shown in my avatar is 1800 pounds, with controllable prop, three-blade articulated rotor, with collective pitch control, all of which are disqualifying for sport pilot operation.