Trailer mods

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
I need pictures of peoples blade hoists, and how you store them in your trailers. I am getting my trailer ready and need some ideas, Thanks!

Not a very easy photo to follow the three prongs (x2) that look like table forks are where the blades are stored leading edge down and protected. The hoist demounts and rests on top of the trailer. If you want more photos I will take some next time I'm at the airfield.IMG_2749.jpg

The hoist can be mounted either side, there is another "sleeve" into which the hoist mounts just in front of the wheel on the far side.

Cool Thanks, good ideas! My trailer is enclosed but the ideas will still work. The Tango 28 ft blades are heavier than the old single place Dominator blades, plus I am older too and dont need to be trying to carry blades up a ladder.

We used a deer hoist with a rachet handle, but like the one Jetlag03 has posted again with sockets on either side of the trailer.

A very simple little trailer, for a simple little single seat but it worked for us. Here it was at Wauchula with Stuart who built them both with me. This little project got him his repairman certificate, and ultimately ended with him as a Tech 2 with Delta.

72709A61-CE0D-4FF3-B131-2FD3CC2EA652_1_105_c.jpeg

Redneck Blinds Bumper Hitch Deer Hoist Product #: 28660

Last edited:
Did you get a big ole power stroke diesel truck? Gotta be a big trailer if its enclosed and will fit a gyro

Yep, got a 2005 4wd 6.0 F250 super duty... 2007 Pace Explorer RT. 😁

There is a story in there.

Attachments

• Truck and trailer.jpg
    Truck and trailer.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 48
I used a tripod system on my first gyro. It was made from a tripod from a hunting store that is used to hoist deer up for dressing. I added extra long IMC pipe for the legs to the height I needed, a electric winch to raise my blades up then just scoot the gyroplane underneath and lower the blades down . All could be put up and broke down rather quickly and was easy to transport.
rsz_tripod1.jpg
rsz_tripod3.jpg

Hey ...those pictures of Kent Goddard's system ...are ones I took! .... that's my hangar @ Newton - in 2014! ....good ! - you saved me the trouble of hunting for them ... he had a good set-up! Now let me see if I can find a photo of my current trailer/ roof-box & crane-winch set-up!

97FA88EF-029C-4E9E-BE78-7416A4942BF0.jpeg
Hey ...those pictures of Kent Goddard's system ...are ones I took! .... that's my hangar @ Newton - in 2014! ....good ! - you saved me the trouble of hunting for them ... he had a good set-up! Now let me see if I can find a photo of my current trailer/ roof-box & crane-winch set-up!

Attachments

• 0AF96937-DB6D-42AA-AD6E-2C9EED9B16A7.jpeg
    0AF96937-DB6D-42AA-AD6E-2C9EED9B16A7.jpeg
    39 KB · Views: 51
By 'eck !!! Our USA friends certainly go the whole hog when it comes to hobbies. I have lived in homes less well equipped than some of your trailers ....... jealous ...... me ...... HELL YES

I'm looking to have an enclosed trailer customized to haul my gyro. Does anyone has more pictures of enclosed trailers with a box on top for the mast? Also how the back of the trailer and roof trey has been done. I'm thinking of something very close to the grey trailer in post #11 in this thread. Was hoping to look at trailers at Benson Days, but with it being pushed back I'm not sure I'll make it this year. Thanks.

It has always impressed me, the standards that individuals will achieve when they are dealing with something they love. Some really nice rigs out there.

I hope you folks who don't have much experience pulling trailers understand that even empty, a enclosed trailer large enough for most larger gyros is heavy and SUPER draggy to tow down the road. Will need a strong truck to pull it and you will get terrible MPG.

Yep, need a manly truck....My Ford super duty gets 17 mpg all the time empty or pulling a trailer. Trailer brakes are really helpful.

With PRA's new zero-gravity trailer S.D.S.U is building next semester this is a possible much less drag with blades on trailer solution.
Just make the nose more aerodymamitic like a gyro? Not much room for tools.

Also looking for the easiest trailer I've ever seen. A Frenchman has a bump out trailer that 1/2 the center opens up so the taller gyro can be removed with blades on. He stores them on the side/edge of the roof of the trailer. He pushed the gyro in the trailer with blades attached and sticking out over the trailer roof. Then gets a latter on the inside of the trailer and remove the bolt.
He used a shuffleboard type stick on the ends of the blades sticking out 3 feet or so on both ends of the trailer and lifts one end at a time into the blade holder on the roof. It only took 5 min's for setup and teardown, or less!!!
It's in PRA 6,000+ links, videos, and pictures but cannot find it yet.

I cannot find the video of the fastest setup I've seen.
If you know how to search this forum archives I've posted it here more than once.