Towns in Western North Carolina for Flying?

DavePA11

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations on any of these towns for potential move which might have access to an airport for flying?

I have a new job and no longer need to be in Colorado, and want to move somewhere cheaper without big RE taxes (<$10K per year).

My wife wants to live around some sort of mountains with a good cycling clubs (bicycle) so hear Asheville NC was nice for cycling. Currently in Evergreen CO which my wife likes, but I don't like the flying out here since over 1hr drive to airports and pretty barren around the plains.

The other area was near Norman Lake in NC, and there seems to be a bunch of airports around there.

Any recommendations on any of these towns and or around Lake Norman NC? I got this list from an article about towns in western NC.

1) Asheville, NC - 3.5 hours North East of Atlanta, GA. Only Asheville Regional south of Asheville.
2) Hendersonville, NC - Hendersonville is south of Asheville, NC - Looks like Asheville Reginal (AVL) about 18 min drive and Hendersonville (047) about 8 min are local airports.
3) Banner Elk, NC - North East of Asheville near Boone and Blowing Rock. Only Avery Country/Morrison Field (7A8) near by about 40 min drive. ElK River and Boone are private.
4) Blowing Rock, NC - Near Banner Elk. Avery Country Airport (7A8) - 1 hour drive.
5) Highlands, NC - South West of Asheville - No airports nearby.
6) Boone, NC - Near Banner ElK NC - Avery Country Airport (7A8) - 1 hour drive.
7) Burnsville, NC - Avery Country Airport about 30 min drive. No others.
8) Morganton, NC - South of Blowing Rock - Foothills Regional (MRN) about 16 min drive. Hickory Regional Airport about 30 min drive. Avery Country is 1 hour drive.
9) Sylva, NC - West of Asheville - Jackson Co (24A) 15 min drive. Macon CO Airport (1A5) about 30 min drive.

So all these above have limited airports near by compared to Lake Norman area.

Thanks,
Dave

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 380 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes
Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations on any of these towns for potential move which might have access to an airport for flying?

I have a new job and no longer need to be in Colorado, and want to move somewhere cheaper without big RE taxes (<$10K per year).

My wife wants to live around some sort of mountains with a good cycling clubs (bicycle) so hear Asheville NC was nice for cycling. Currently in Evergreen CO which my wife likes, but I don't like the flying out here since over 1hr drive to airports and pretty barren around the plains.

The other area was near Norman Lake in NC, and there seems to be a bunch of airports around there.

Any recommendations on any of these towns and or around Lake Norman NC? I got this list from an article about towns in western NC.

1) Asheville, NC - 3.5 hours North East of Atlanta, GA. Only Asheville Regional south of Asheville.
2) Hendersonville, NC - Hendersonville is south of Asheville, NC - Looks like Asheville Reginal (AVL) about 18 min drive and Hendersonville (047) about 8 min are local airports.
3) Banner Elk, NC - North East of Asheville near Boone and Blowing Rock. Only Avery Country/Morrison Field (7A8) near by about 40 min drive. ElK River and Boone are private.
4) Blowing Rock, NC - Near Banner Elk. Avery Country Airport (7A8) - 1 hour drive.
8) Morganton, NC - South of Blowing Rock - Foothills Regional (MRN) about 16 min drive. Hickory Regional Airport about 30 min drive. Avery Country is 1 hour drive.
9) Sylva, NC - West of Asheville - Jackson Co (24A) 15 min drive. Macon CO Airport (1A5) about 30 min drive.

Thanks,
Dave

Florida has no state income tax and depending on where you are lower RE property tax. There is a 400 foot hill somewhere in the panhandle. Does that count?

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Dave….come on out to NC! The flying is great!
plus….you'd be closer to the Carolina BarnStormers…….👍🏻😁

I’ve flown around most of those places…….fun stuff!

Sv.grainne

Florida has no state income tax and depending on where you are lower RE property tax. There is a 400 foot hill somewhere in the panhandle. Does that count?
My opinion, lived or based out of Florida for 12 years, if you find a place in NC go for it. Property taxes are marginally high in FL, but you have to deal with the seasonal influx of snowbirds and the associated issues. Homeowners insurance and flood insurance can be an issue. Take a look at where the seasonal residents are coming from before deciding. I have family in NE NC and lots of issues with folks from Northern VA and DC moving down. Better yet, find a place and rent and try it out first. Owned property in AZ and CO as well so experience with both.

Bobby

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Dominator Single 582BH N401JC
Total Flight Time
150+
Try taking a look at Marion, NC there is an airport and the area just north, up Hwy 221 (North Cove, Ashford, Linville Falls or Spruce Pine) all are beautiful and affordable. My family has been in North Cove since the mid 1700's. I don't think you will be disappointed.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Vans RV4 / Dominator 582 Ultrawhite
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Hi All,

Thanks,
Dave

1 Asheville... The most liberal city in all of the Carolinas. If you are a big time Biden person, and you like Tie Die T shirts, smoking Weed, Bernie Sanders, and Grossly overpriced property.... you will love asheville.

2. Hendersonville is actually pretty nice, and most small city and spread out. You are still in the mountains, but not far into the mountains. Still going to pay big bucks for property there and traffic between Asheville and Hendersonville and anything around there is some of the worse traffic on in the eastern USA.

3 and 4 and 6... All nice high elevation mountain areas, but take a look at google earth of those areas, not alot of places to land if the engine goes quiet. I rarely fly over the mountains myself cause of the heavily wooded and very rugged terrain.

Really out of your list, Morganton is the only one that is not really in the mountains. Its at the base of the mountains and is more or less just in the rolling hills. Plenty of semi flat farmland in morganton, where you can set down in a emergency. Yet just a few minutes drive and your in the mountains and on the blue ridge parkway etc....

Taylorsville is also close to the mountains like Morganton but not fully in the mountains. Someone else mentioned Marion and same deal there as well.

What kind of bicycle riding does the wife do? Here in the Charlotte area, there is plenty of cycling activity be it road riding or mountain biking. We have the White Water Center ( look that up ) which is a mecca for mtn biking.

I may be biased, but I really like being in the charlotte area.... I like that I am more or less in a " Big " city but I am outside and far enough away from the big city that I am not in the " big " city.... I can be in the mountains in less than 2 hours drive away, I can be at the beach in less than 3 hours. I am close to interstates, and several other " important " cities are not too far away, 3 hours to charleston SC, 3 hours to Atlanta GA, 6 hours to Washington DC, 4 hours to Knoxville TN. Plenty of flying to be done around here and plenty of airports to base out of ( will admit that if you are looking for a hangar anywhere around here there is probably a wait to get one, but probably not hard to find someone to let you slide a gyro into their hangar.

I actually live in SC, just below Charlotte. SC has cheaper taxes. You might want to look at SC as well. I am in the Fort Mill / Indian Land area which is more or less becoming suburbs of Charlotte... But if your looking to be close to the mountains, you might like Travellers Rest, or Greenville or something in that neck of the woods. Greenville is similar to Asheville in size, but isn't nearly as liberal and much more affordable.

DavePA11

Thanks Gyro Ron and Captn Gator! Greatly appreciate the additional insights. Lisa rides with various clubs mainly on roads where they ride 40-60 miles on a ride. She is retired so wants to have fun during the day. We live in Evergreen CO now and she likes riding around the Rocky Mountains, and wants similar riding and friends… I think I’ll send her out to NC to check out the towns. I don’t like being too remote either, but do want to be within 30 minutes of an airport. Thanks!