Tow & Stow Glider

Gyro Junky

Aircraft
Dominator 582, Tow & Stow Gyroglider
Total Flight Time
Put this together from footage on my old video camera. It's a glider I designed and built back in the late 90s. It's unique feature is portability w/ a 10 minute set up time, plus blades.

Tow & Stow Glider - YouTube

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
That is SUPER COOL ! You should sell plans for that. I'd buy em. You don't see gliders anymore. Great way to learn as long as your tow driver is a gyro pilot too. We built one when I was in college because it was all we could afford. Towed it with my mom's station wagon, great memories.

JDM

Aircraft
still deciding on build project
I'd be interested in a set of plans if they were available.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Steve,

That was a great video! One of those clips appears to be taking place in a light snow flurry and one of the guys on the glider seems to be wearing shorts. That seems a little crazy to me. But otherwise it looks like you were having a lot of fun. That really is a very creative design for a fold up gyro glider.

Gyro Junky

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ya...I thought about plans but am a little apprehensive. I don't fully understand the liability issues associated with production and distribution, of such material, in our overly letigious society. At this time, I only have hand scratched scale drawings, notes and around 20 hours of test flight. It might be a good excuse to purchase and learn CAD software, though. Another option I have toyed with is a DVD plan set, providing for video and voice description of each part and some instructional assembly references. If it happens I will post.

Oh and Doug, that kid isn't crazy. He was a buddy involved in ultimate fighting, at the time, and was just tougher than nails. We were going to use him as our initial test pilot cause he bounced so good. Unfortunatey, he forgot his knee pads. :lol:

Last edited:

-willy-

complete novice
Aircraft
A R Drone (RC)
Total Flight Time
zero, does flying as a passenger count?
Most of what is needed to recreate it is in the video. From an uneducated stand point I see that as something that would not be that hard to make a simple blueprint using some of the pieces that are in the video (the folding seats, go kart wheels). Mind you its only my opinion.

-willy-

complete novice
Aircraft
A R Drone (RC)
Total Flight Time
zero, does flying as a passenger count?
Same, I think it would be best for novices like me that need some basic flight time to best get a feel for the controls.

ChasingAutumn

I think it would be a great tool as well! What do you think the cost would be to put something like this together? If it's affordable I could see it being a good tool for each chapter to invest in. Each member could pitch in a little cash to help better train new members. Also you could even use it as a way to introduce people who have never flown in a gyro to see if it's something they want to pursue.

twistair

Living in the Skies
Aircraft
none own :( currently flying Calidus mostly
Total Flight Time
Don't know exactly, ca. 3000 hours
That's one tasty wonderful video! Sparkling eyes, happy eyes - that's what is respectively rare to see in many modern gyrovids.

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
Steve, the video is as cool as the glider! It's a fun glimpse into a looser, more carefree time. I'm glad you saved the footage till UDOT's statute of limitations expired!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Thanks for sharing the blast from the past!!

Gyro Junky

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I think it would be a great tool as well! What do you think the cost would be to put something like this together? If it's affordable I could see it being a good tool for each chapter to invest in. Each member could pitch in a little cash to help better train new members. Also you could even use it as a way to introduce people who have never flown in a gyro to see if it's something they want to pursue.
About 1/2 the price of the rotor blades.

gyroblackwell

designer, builder, flyer
Aircraft
flightstar ultralight, Soma U/L GyroCopter, Cessena 152
Total Flight Time
500 hrs.
Steve,

you provide the sketches with dimensions, and I will put it all in CAD form for you using Solid Works.
I enjoy CAD model building and can probably get you models in a couple evenings of modeling.

I have solid models for the benson style rotor head, and other parts already.

good sketches with dimensions and I will form/fit/function verify them via the model assembly.

from there, you can do what you want with them.

let me know...

Tim

madwinger

OldFartium Member
Aircraft
No longer own a gyro.
Total Flight Time
64 SEL in training, 0 Gyro
About 1/2 the price of the rotor blades.
Looks like so much fun. If you ever get an itch to take it out again, let me know. I would be all in on that.

Looks like a lot of fun.

Mark