Tow Bar Head

skyking

Skyking
Aircraft
SparrowHawk I
Total Flight Time
I am in the process of fabricating a tow bar for my SparrowHawk. I am looking for a simple design for a tow bar head that will mount to a 2 x 2 AL bar that is 5 feet long and attach to my garden tractor. I have a ball on front and back of my tractor so I plan to pull out of hanger and push back in post flight. I intend to attach to the front axle bolts on the nose wheel. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

bugflyer

Bugflyer
Aircraft
owned C-205, Titan Tornado II,1 hour in P51C, 1 hour in Magni M-16
Total Flight Time
I am in the process of fabricating a tow bar for my SparrowHawk. I am looking for a simple design for a tow bar head that will mount to a 2 x 2 AL bar that is 5 feet long and attach to my garden tractor. I have a ball on front and back of my tractor so I plan to pull out of hanger and push back in post flight. I intend to attach to the front axle bolts on the nose wheel. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.
Put longer axle bolt in nosewheel. Brackets on mover hook the extended bolt on both sides of nosewheel and lift nosewheel.
Play with dimensions of mover wheels, bracket heights, tongue length to get acceptable downforce required at ball hitch.

Attachments

• 1636843077467.png
    1636843077467.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 1

giro5

Aircraft
prev- citabria,AA1b, fun racer
Total Flight Time
400 GA, 50 trike
get a 2x4 and 2 muffler clamps that will fit over the 2 in tube frame and bolt a trailer coupler to the other end. This is how I towed my kb2 behind a small pickup when learning rotor management and first tow flying.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
These are commonly used to pull gliders around, except attached to a tail dolly wheel (the dolly straps onto the rear fuselage) instead of a nosewheel (which most gliders don't have). I'll see if I can find a picture of mine. It works as bugflyer has described.

Check www.mmfabrication.com/towbars for some photos.

Last edited: