To sell or upgrade... That is the question!

Aircraft
Cessna, and Stabilized RAF
Total Flight Time
I have come to a cross road that I would like some feedback on. I have a RAF 2000 with a GBA CLT kit installed. I have flown this machine about 145 hrs. It has all the bells and whistles including a Becker radio and transponder. I have toyed with the idea of selling this machine or upgrading it with a Sport Copter rotor head and blades, new 2.5 L Subaru. The 2.2 L at my altitude is not quite enough.

What are you peoples thoughts on current value if I sell. What info could I provide to help make a better assesment?

Is there a need or market for a set of RAF blades, hub bar, rotor head.. If so, what would a fair price be?

I have two sets of Warp Drive propellers. One 4-blade new never used. and one 3-blade that is on the machine. What would be a fair price to ask for those.

The Warp Drive propellers function ok but are very noisy. If anyone knows of a prop that is quieter, I would like to hear your thoughts on that as well.

Last. Does anyone know what the thread was on the 240 hp turbo 2.5 subaru on an RAF or GBA machine?

I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Curt

Last edited:

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Curtis I'am the guy with the 230 hp 2.5 4 cam turbocharged engine,the engine is a stock non-turbo engine with the turbocharger added it has an aftermarket wastegate set at 6 lbs of pressure,i have over 200 hrs on the conversion without any problems. the parts for most of the conversion came from metrix motors in centervile,Utah.give me a call @ 575-835-4921 any time for more info if needed.Best regards,eddie.....

My gyro is an RAF with the boyer tail and the rotor attached stabilator.

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
Curt,

I vote you do the upgrades. I would love to be able to able to go flying with you in your gyro and that engine upgrade would be just the ticket to opening up lots of options for you. I also suspect that there will be all kinds of people ready to scoop up your Rotorhead and Rotors if you decide to upgrade those too. Best of luck!

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
RAF blades

RAF blades

Curt: The fellow in Creswell (Eugene area), Oregon might be interested in your rotors and maybe more. He is on his second set of rotors that I know of and Jon at Sport Copter spotted a crack in the set he flies on.

SIIaCanuck

Aircraft
RAF 2000 2.5 GTX
Total Flight Time
3500hrs +
The EJ25 is a great engine. Turboing adds complexity and cost, you can hold a bit of performance at altitude just by bumping compression. SDS EFI from Calgary can sort a reliable EFI system with great tuning ability. Probably have lower fuel burn than the 2.2.

Sportcopter seems to get rave reviews and the rest of us are your market for the head/blades. What year/version are they.

bmoore2156

Aircraft
Converted RAF
Total Flight Time
300 hrs in my RAF
To sell or upgrade
Curt,
You are really going to have to weigh the cost and decide what your dream machine is. It seems that boosting the Hp and adding SC blades is reliable. But, if your looking for more comfort and room, it might be a better deal to buy a Calidus or something along those lines.
Your probably looking in the 10k-15k range for the upgrades your wanting to do. Take that and the value of your RAF and your well on your way to a better machine. The RAF is on the small side for my liking and I foresee myself selling mine some day and upgrading.
That's just my .02

Master Roda

The Jedi
Curt,

If you like your machine (decide to keep it) I would turbo it at the very least. Upgrading to Sport Copter hardware will give you a performance increase and peace of mind, but a turbo will definitly help you. It doesn't even need major boost, just a couple of pounds to get sea level performance.

LARRYEBOYER

Gold Member
Eddie, I would be interested in what all you had to buy/add to your EJ25 to make it work. You mention matrix motors. Do they sell subaru add ons?

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
LARRY:
I bought the cleaned up intake manifold,the throttle body that had a lot of usless metal removed, the subaru turbo( VF-10), the stinger -4 ECU with a wiring harness made to my spec's and the turbo flanges to weld to my self made exhaust system, from metrix mtrs in utah,plus these guys were very helpful.
the tial wastgate, and the fittings for the oil,water line to the turbo and the material to make the AN lines were bought from various other vendors(JEG's) for one.the intake pipe and silicon elbows from speed shops.the exhaust pipes i welded and cut from prebent pipes bought from jegs speed shop.

the subaru turbo came with an internal wastegate i welded it closed and used the tial wastegate because it is easy to adjustable to the low boost required. once you get started building it go's fast, and the secret is the Stinger-4 ECU, it works off manifold pressure to regulate fuel flow,therefore it adjusts the mixture for alt.your home computor is plugged into the ecu and tuned while it is running.

Best regards,eddie.....

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I appreciate all the posts. I am seriously leaning towards sportcopter rotor head hubbar and blades upgrade
I too would like to sell my old components. If anyone knows of a fair value for the blades props or other things I would appreciate your input on that as well. Tim I believe mine are 68 inches well. 435-730-0828. You're welcome to give me a call if I can answer any questions. Brad I always appreciate your 2 cents worth! I look forward to flying again with you 1 day soon

Last edited:

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Does anyone know if the bolt pattern of your 3 blade prop hub will fit my Rotax gear box?

LARRYEBOYER

Gold Member
Eddie, Could you post some pics of your engine installation. It sounds and I am sure looks cool. Thanks for the reply!

farmer jim

Aircraft
Butterfly Turbo Golden
Total Flight Time
100+ FW/ 6.5 gyro
Hi Curt -
I have a new (never flown) set of SC rotor blades that may very well be for sale, 31' x 9". I may decide to go with 32'ers ?????? The designer of my Turbo Golden would not supply the blades he promised me, and sent me to JV @ SportCopter.
Am strongly considering 32's.

316 435 2238 !

fj

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Jim, I just sent you a PM before I read this post.. I could be very interested in a set of SC blades. I would like to consult with SC and make sure they would recomend those blades for my machine. I also would like to upgrade the rotor head. I'll be giving you a call when I get some information. I appreciate all of you providing me a phone number and a name on your posts...

Tim, I'm sorry, that I don't know if that propeller hub will bolt to your machine... I've been told that the guys at Warp Drive are great to work with.. Perhaps a call to them. I too am going to call them and check on a price on a 4 or 5 blade hub for mine... If this one will fit yours, I'm sure we could work something out... Have you priced blades or do you have a price in mind? I don't have any idea what a set is worth... Mine have about 145 hours on them.

"Master Roda" I'm sorry, I don't know your name. I would be interested in getting a phone number of the pilot that may benifit from a set of blades that are not cracked... I also sent an E-mail to SC to get a quote. I have'nt heard back... I was going to call them this Friday. I understand that you have an "in" there...

Stew, When I get home I'll post the serial numbers for the blades.

Thanks again all for moving the dream a little further towards success.

Curt

Last edited:

Master Roda

The Jedi
Curt,

My name is Jon Dailey. I am the president of PRA Chapter 73 and the rotorblade designer/builder/ and more at Sport Copter. Our group meets this Saturday. If Kevin doesn't send you a PM with the information of the man who may need your blades, I will ask him then.
We had a big tour today and our receptionist may have been busy. You can always email me @ [email protected] or call 503-543-7000 I check my email often and of course I try to make myself available to this forum.

We have sold several RAF conversion kits. Heres a link to the conversion page. http://www.sportcopter.com/SportRotors/Conversions/tabid/172/Default.aspx Of course the rotors arent in the kit picture that includes an upper mast, rotorhead, rotorbrake,bolts,etc. We can sell you everything but the rotors if you like. The 9x31' that Jim has would work for you. We can adjust them in pitch if the rotor RPM is too low.

Jon

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Jon: I won't be able to be at the Jan. nor Feb. mtgs. WORK interferes. If the chapter would be willing to move the meeting portion from 1 PM, after the lunch, to 10:30, or 11:00 AM, with the potluck lunchtime immediately afterwards at the usual time of noon, then I could attend.

I do remember Gary Kaminski, Don Stuart, and Jeff Fox having to sometimes leave Scappoose airport before the meeting was concluded to avoid weather system changes brewing in the afternoon. A bit earlier in the day to meet might help with the skies a' changing...

My work schedule changes every three months. Sometimes I can get Saturdays off in a three month block, sometimes I can't. I can get PM work starting around 2-3 PM when I do have to work Sats. So, I could even fly to the meetings and still fly back, and get to work.

Curt: I'll send you a PM with the potential buyer's contact details.

Last edited:

Master Roda

The Jedi
Kevin, It's too late for this meeting, but I'll talk to the guys about your schedule and see if we can work out a compromise for next month. Are the following months a problem too? I don't mind moving the schedule around.

Thanks for sending Curt the PM.

Jon

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I really am appreciative of all the help and comments so far... Things are starting to move forward... It took me 3 hours to drive 60 miles on the freeway tonight.. It's good to be home, warm and fed! I got the Numbers off of my blades tonight... they are 3723 and 3726 AGCT.... any facts would be appreciated and again, I'll ask for help in priceing them. Thanks again.

Curt