Titanium Explorer- First impression?

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Regarding AR-1
We are going to be there in Texas unless something very unexpected happens. We are working very hard, and long hours to have the gyroplanes ready. In fact all our 7 orders ready by then. We have revised the frame to be able to do certain things. All analysis and testing has been done for structural integrity.

Chris we are indeed increasing the width of the front seat (seating area) by 2 inches. That should provide wider seating for larger customers but we do have a limit for size because further changes affect characteristics. I hope you will be able to see and sit in that more comfortably. We like the speed of the original design and trying our best to maintain that edge in AR-1, the storage compartments will be able to be installed or taken off depending on the needs of the pilot and flight. Sticking with Stainless and Averso Stella rotors for now. Averso has a well proven track record and they carry a lot of energy through. I have just received 7 Averso rotor blade sets.

Last edited:

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Great news Abid!

Great news Abid!

Good to have an update report on the AR1 progress! Excited to see it @ Anahuac. ... looking forwards to finally getting that "Apollo" flight! :)

I like your described modifications & the innovation .. upgrades to the tried & true!

Another reason to be excited for the Anahuac fly-in ... yep ..it's going to hit the "Big-time" this year! :whoo:

Looks like we can get All-in to Texas ...( and some others) to try different gyros .. side by side to compare & assess the suitability of different makes for their mission & budget! :yo:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
OK Please let me know if your not coming as soon as possible.
Meanwhile I'm going to come and PLAY most of the TIME!!!

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrobee, My design
Total Flight Time
So this frame is actually Titanium ? What are the advantages of that over the other gyros ? (numbers please )
Most gyros are made from either Aluminum, 4130 steel, Stainless steel, and now Titanium.
All have advantages and disadvantages, this is how I see them to answer your question Chris.

Aluminum is the least dense at .1 lb/in3 6061-T6 is the most common grade and has an Ultimate Tensile Strength of 45,000 PSI. it comes in many shapes and sizes, and is the lowest cost choice at about $3-7 per pound. Aluminum is resistant to corrosion. Higher grade aluminums like 2024-T3 and 7075-T6 have tensile strengths of up to 80,000 PSI but aren't generally weldable at all, and also cost more. 6061 is weldable ,but it isn't really suitable for welding most structural parts. It has the lowest fatigue resistance of the listed choices.

4130 is structurally weldable, comes in many shapes and sizes, relatively easy to machine, medium cost, good fatigue resistance, higher density is mostly offset by its higher strength. heat treated the UTS can be as high as 165,000 PSI. Highest Density at .284 lb/in3, it is susceptible to corrosion.

Stainless is generally of a similar density but lower strength compared to 4130. It is available in many shapes and sizes, medium cost, its structurally weldable with good fatigue resistance, resistant to corrosion, it has Poorer machinability than 4130 or aluminum, poorer strength to weight than 4130, it is more difficult to weld than 4130.

Titanium (Grade 5) is 60% denser than 6061 but 4 times stronger. It is Stronger, and 40% less dense, than either steel. It is the strongest of the listed choices with tensile strengths as high as 200,000+ PSI using typical grades like 6al4v, 15-3-3-3-3, and 3al2.5v tubing. It is structurally weldable and has good fatigue resistance. It is not available in as many shapes and sizes as the other choices, it is much more expensive than the others at about $50-$100 per pound. It has similar machinability to stainless steel, it is more difficult to get a good weld than the other choices.

Last edited:

Neri

Aircraft
MTO, Aircam
Total Flight Time
1200 h
Hi John, Can you give a short overview of the advantages and disadvantages with regard to the carbon fiber blades (TE) and aluminiume (MTO, Trixcy)?
Thanks! Neri

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
:) All In -

There's a Great Donut place in Annahuac !

fj
Well the PARTY IS ON!!!

Cannot wait to hang with you... This time I have enough time to really annoy you guys!!! Watch out for flying Nisan's here I come!!!:peace:

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrobee, My design
Total Flight Time
Hi John, Can you give a short overview of the advantages and disadvantages with regard to the carbon fiber blades (TE) and aluminiume (MTO, Trixcy)?
Thanks! Neri
Speaking only as a blade material, it is Possible to make a lighter set of blades from CF than from Aluminum. It is also Possible to make a more accurate blade profile with CF blades than you can with extruded Aluminum, although you could perform additional operations on the extruded blades to make similar accuracies. I don't know if the MTO or Trixy blades have that done to them. The TE blades seem to be of a high standard as judged by my visual inspection only. I believe the TE blades are lighter which could make them easier to install, although, from a practical standpoint, the differences in material are overshadowed by how they actually perform. Simply trying them both and judging for yourself the inflight performance would be far more important in my opinion.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
John you do know your "pile of parts" won most Innovative don't you. You were missed at the Banquet dinner.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrobee, My design
Total Flight Time
I didn't know till you mentioned it John, Thanks! I had to go back to work Sat, I arrived on Monday so I did get plenty of time there.

Amit Heimann

Titanium Explorer

Titanium Explorer

Hello, I'm from Israel. Me and my friend recently ordered two aircrafts from Australia. Please find attached an interview with the manufacturer.
Amit.

Attachments

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Certainly puts the boot in on other manufacturers.

JAL

Aircraft
MT03sport/C172
Total Flight Time
Arnie did you download the word file?

Just checking to make sure its not a trojan horse

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
I did.

It's going to be 20% cheaper than a euro gyro

"Question 11 :
That brings us to the price .
Answer
My aim was always to get the price down to about 20% less than the European gyros and I think we have succeeded in doing this
A$74500 inc for the 912 ULS .....dated info ...don't use, Jason.
A$86500 inc for the 914 turbo ""

500e

Aircraft
500c\d\e 300C & CBi
Total Flight Time
a lot more now
Wont open .doc file for me What Ver of word please.
PDF seems to be a more resilient program

Steve_UK

Aircraft
here we go -

QUESTION #1

An interview with Neil Sheather , the designer and builder of the new Titanium Explorer auto gyro.
By Don Cramer

Question 1 :
Why did you decide to build your own gyro,
Answer :
As you know I started by importing the

Last edited:

Steve_UK

Aircraft
QUESTION #2

Question 2 :
Tell me about these full composite rotor blades
Answer :
We know that over the last 30 years

Last edited:

Steve_UK

Aircraft
QUESTION #3

Question 3.
In tandem gyros you tend to get a lot of wind in the back seat , how does your gyro compare ?
Answer :
We spent many hours on the

Last edited: