Tip Rocket Pre-Rotation

It certainly seems to be progressing. Good luck with your project.

Hi,
I started this thread already year 2004! This is how long I have been working with hydrogen peroxide rotor tip rockets for autogyros.

I am now proud to anounce that my friend Clark Cogan, Franklin, Indiana, made the first ever ultra short take-off with my HP rockets on his KB2 gyrocopter. I estimate it was rolling around 10 feet before lift off.
In fact I believe this way of taking off is safer and better than true vertical take off.
After all the goal I have had with this project is to make it possible to take off from an equaly small field as landing is possible. From your own backyard for example.
You can see the TO read about my project here:
www.peroxidepropulsion.com Klick onlatest news article (in the upper right corner).
Or here on Youtube:
‪Ultra Short Take-Off Autogyro, Clark Cogan July 2011‬‏ - YouTube

Regards,
Erik Bengtsson

Congratulations on reaching this milestone Erik, and for your persistence with your dream.

Congratulations Erik!

Congratulations Erik!

How many pounds of peroxide did you use in that video?

How much would it cost to ship a pallet of peroxide to Santa Maria, California, 93456?

How much do the tip rockets in the drawing weigh?

Where can I buy the little tip rockets in the drawing?

Can I get plans for the tip rockets in the drawing?

How long does the catalyst last?

It looked to me like your test pilot had more thrust than he needed, could smaller, lighter motors be used?

Do the rockets work best when going fast or could they be mounted further inboard on the rotor blade?

Thank you, Vance

Last edited:
Congratulations. you have been working on this a long time. I wish you best success with this ideal. The gyro looked a bit unstable on take off, what was the rotor rpm?, cool smoke effect.

Hi Vance,
Clark said he used almost a gallon of fuel = about 10 lbs. He said he will need less once he is more experienced

I dont sell peroxide any longer, but when I did I used to charge USD 3.30/lb for this quality. Its not very cheap, so one should not use the rockets unless it is absolutely needed like if you have to take off from a real small field , -or if you want to have fun!
To get a price and transport cost; Hear with Michael Carden at
www.xlspace.com His production plant is in Wyoming.
I dont have any more drawings, but if you study the one on my website plus the pictures, maybe you can find out how to make them.
If you want to buy ready to use components you can contact Robert Barrett at www.barrettair.com
He is looking into start manufactoring. You can also hear with Clark. He is a good mechanic!
I have never managed to wear out a catalyst package,The catalyst seem to last forever -at least if you use pure silver wire screens.
Clark used only half throttle (half of full speed on the battery screw driver) at the take-off on the clip. If you want to try with less powerful rockets you can make the rocket nozzles with smaller diameters. It is quite easy to widen the nozzle diameters in a lathe or even with a drill.
To be as powerful as possible it is best to have the rockets at the tips because there is the highest fuel pressure because of the centrifugal force, Also the rockets typically have a lower thrust but a higher speed than a jet engine or a propeller for example. Therefor the fuel economy will be best if they are located at the tips.

Best regards,
Erik

Clark will probably go to Mentone with his machine, if you want to have a look on the rotor tip rockets. He is planing to be there Thursday thru Saturday. August 4 thru 6.

I will try to come to Mentone myself, but I am not sure if I can make it yet.

Clark has got questions because people have seen the stick was shaking a lot at some time on the Youtube clip. He wanted me to tell you that it happened only when he stopped the HP flow temporarely. As long as he sent fuel to the tips it was smooth. Also at take-off. Clark doesnt think stick shaking is a major problem.

Clark did a couple of true VTOs on July 30 with the tip rockets!
He said they felt quite controlled and there was no stick shaking this time.
It is history making!
It is a pitty the toke-offs were not filmed this time.

Clark did a couple of true VTOs on July 30 with the tip rockets!
He said they felt quite controlled and there was no stick shaking this time.
It is history making!
Clark told me he is controlling the propeller engine throttle with a motorcycle handle on the stick with his right hand and the rotor tip rockets throttle with his left hand. He runs both "engines" simultanously at TO.
It is a pitty the take-offs were not filmed this time.

Last edited:
This will be exciting to see at mentone. Congratulations on your tenacious efforts being rewarded. Thanks for sharing. Stan

I was in telephone contact with Clark. He is in Mentone and he has made 3 take-offs up to now. The only one that was nice was the first one. The stick shaking came back on the other two -he is not sure why.
If someone got the first take off on film (at around 9 am on Friday), it would be real great if you could upload it on Youtube! Did someone here see any of the TO:s?

...I am now proud to anounce that my friend Clark Cogan, Franklin, Indiana, made the first ever ultra short take-off with my HP rockets on his KB2 gyrocopter...
Wow - looks great Erik :first:
Still a little expensive - or maybe it is just our income that is too low ;-)

Sometimes more fuel in one blade than the other will cause an imbalance. Best wishes.

Arne,
You are probably right! Clark has noticed that after having stoped the fuel flow a short time and than starting the flow again, the shaking starts. Maybe air is suctioning in to the fuel lines at these occations making the two blade becoming different in weight.

PS Please anyone visiting Mentone -what can you report?