Throttle "Governor"

HobbyCAD

Homebuilt Heli Enthusiast
Yup, with this method, just as in modern helicopter turbine engines, you can "freeze" your throttle to a predetermined setting.

Now see if you can get Gabor to bite on adding a helicopter to his collection. Now that his daughter is out of the house, he just might have some spare cash to part with. Only problem, will the "Queen" know, or will it be domestic fraud.....

hillberg

That's what I designed for the Jet Exec:rolleyes:, Governor with a manual override that a pilot can use when the electrical power goes out, overspeed,underspeed, spring or torque motor failure :lalala:,The pilot must be the one in control. Not a wild electron.:suspicious:
It was flown all hand & gov with no ill effects.

Attachments

• Picture 130.jpg
    Picture 130.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 198.jpg
    Picture 198.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1049.jpg
    IMG_1049.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 1

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
If all you do is freeze the fuel flow setting at 75% power, isn't there a risk of exceeding redline on the engine when you drop collective? I suspect the Helicycle design leaves lots of RPM headroom, but an unloaded turbine even at low power settings would just spin up till it came apart, right?

hillberg

The rotors load the system limiting the rate or acelleration & you can hand adjust with throttle From 95% to 104% took 3 seconds lowering collective . Not a problem.-Even in reversion with the Bell 407s FADEC the pilot is cautioned about abrubt collective moves.
The T62 has a narrow opperating band in reguards to acellerating from low speed drooping to compressor stall.keep power @80% for best results.

Arnie Madsen

Aircraft
Bell 47 G2
Todd (baronpilot) ..... I am going to sidestep your Helicycle electronic governor question and focus on helicopter piston engines for a minute.

I have often wondered why these (pictured below) simple bullet proof mechanical governors have never been used instead of the crude throttle correlator on the collective .

Pictured below are two examples of self-contained mechanical governors , one belt driven , one gear driven. They are excellent governors for engine rpm control.

They achieve tight RPM regulation without hunting. They are used on large gas powered welders , most farm equipment , and other engines that require constant RPM under varying loads.

I am sure one of these on a Lycoming would hold a constant rpm and give trouble free operation for thousands of hours.

Attachments

• Mechanical governor belt driven.jpg
    Mechanical governor belt driven.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Mechanical governor gear driven.jpg
    Mechanical governor gear driven.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited: