Thoughts on buying a preowned kit

rightstick

scott wolf
Total Flight Time
400 fw 56 rw
I wanted to ask you all about the wisdom of buying from someone who has a kit for sale that has completed the early stages of work. The man selling it seemed very competent. He has moved the ship several times, covering the distance of nearly half the country. He has purchased a radio and transmitter, along with all the other gauges to complete the panel (including a Garmin 196). He has all the shipments and the engine container is yet to be opened. I will need to remove the existing powder coat to change the color. He has a tandem axle trailer as well. He is asking $48,000. What do you guys think? is buying a ship like this a crap shoot not worth taking? I was hoping there was someone who has some experience with this situation. Thanks

ylf

Aircraft
T-Bird2 / Helicycle
Total Flight Time
48,000 is 8-13k too high depending on the trailer. You will have to decide on the quality of work done after looking at it. One good thing is that most of the work done will be easy to see since there aren't many areas that are hidden on a Helicycle.

Also, removing powder coat is difficult and you may want to research that before deciding.

What group is it? How long has it set without oil in the gearboxes and in what climates?

Just some things to consider.

Mike
5-12

rightstick

scott wolf
Total Flight Time
400 fw 56 rw
The trailer was 16' long and looked to be in very good condition. I was wondering about trying to remove powder coating, that is a lot of tubing to blast off, it that's even how you remove it. It's from the number 5 run. I suspect the oil has been sitting for at least a year probably more. He has been from Arizona, to the east coast then to the desert of Missouri. ylf, looking forward to traveling out to see your completed ship. can't wait to see it fly.
Scott

baronpilot

Aircraft
Baron B55, Bonanza V35, Brantly B2B
Total Flight Time
Scott - this is just my opinion, so take it with a grain of salt. A superior Helicycle ready to fly with avionics, paint, interior, trailer, etc is worth $60k max. A very good one with average paint, etc is worth high $40s to low $50s and a dog needing work is worth $30k or so. I would buy one already done for the price your are talking and save yourself 700 hours of work.

I have less in my machine than you are talking about and mine has a super nice trailer built specifically for the Helicycle.

rightstick

scott wolf
Total Flight Time
400 fw 56 rw
Thanks Baron,
I do look forward to the building process, so it's interesting to hear what the flying ones are going for. Plus I figure I will need to go over it and make some changes to reflect my personality. Really enjoyed your video and reading about your experiences, keep them coming.

titanhank

give me till the end of september and doug will have my brand new ship checked out. it will be for sale for $55k. it has every upgrade available, becker radio and txp, garmin 500 gps, leather interior, half doors and aux tank. i am a serial builder. built rv7, 5 titan tornados and another dozen other light airplanes. this is my 5th helicopter and i have started on another one already.

hank canup

ylf

Aircraft
T-Bird2 / Helicycle
Total Flight Time
Hank, what helicopter are you building now, if you don't mind me asking?

Mike

baronpilot

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Thanks Baron,
I do look forward to the building process, so it's interesting to hear what the flying ones are going for. Plus I figure I will need to go over it and make some changes to reflect my personality. Really enjoyed your video and reading about your experiences, keep them coming.

That works also :) I have built 4 aircraft and just want to fly now. Titanhawks is the way I would go if was was wanting to fly.

Have fun.

Todd

rightstick

scott wolf
Total Flight Time
400 fw 56 rw
Here is another issue I'm sure that everyone has had to consider, and that is buying something so impractical. I've worked hard to reach a point in my life that finally I am quite comfortable; I have a nice home, a wonderful wife, and I have everything that I could hope for. I am a graduate of the Dave Ramsey program, dept free but my home, therefore I have to ask myself "How can I spend this much on something that I can't share with my wife or others". This is my last hurtle, and my tightwad nature is battling with my - I'm going to do something I've always wanted to do- side. How did you guys answer these questions, and do you regret the decisions to bite the bullet and go for it?

baronpilot

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
You are on the right path my friend! I am the same way. 100% debt free and will stay that way. If you can pay cash for it and want to fly a helicopter, just do it. If you worry that crashing it will wipe out a significant part of your net worth or retirement, then I would pass.

I remember buying my first plane at 18. $7,000 down and $20,000 borrowed at 14% in 1989. My payments were $700/mo and my rent was $300. Had the plane 6 months, made some money on it and quit flying until I could write a check for the next one. Have never sweated it since.

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
Rightstick..... I was right there with you.... exact same thoughts / situation.

As I hit 49 years old, and am currently watching my father and father-in-law barely able to walk.... it just hit me. If I was EVER going to do something like this, now is the time. If the unthinkable happens, then at least I tried.

I don't want to have the regret of NOT doing this thing that I have dreamed about my whole life.

rightstick

scott wolf
Total Flight Time
400 fw 56 rw
Baron, The logic of what you say is undisputable. Normally it's very easy to say no when it comes to buying stuff. This however, is tough because, darnit I want it. Strangely enough getting a loan for this doesn't bother me, my wife saying yes makes me feel guilty because she does't get something cool for $40,000. Garymac, that's true. You and I are the same age. I hate to put off something like this. I feel I have a God given talent to operate machines. I don' t want to wait too long before that is no longer possible.

Last edited:

baronpilot

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I would go ahead and do it. Want to buy my Helicycle? Let me finish breaking it in for you. I think I am ready to buy an R44.