This is Not Your Father's Gyroplane

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+
9mbatA50.jpg

A great article in EAA Light Plane Word today. (well except for dissing Xenon with no photo) (humor alert !)

Perhaps Tim did not have a photo of a Xenon handy. Here's one for next time. :)

Mark

LINK to the EAA Gyroplane article > http://www.eaa.org/lightplaneworld/articles/1102_gyroplanes.asp

Keep up the great PR work Tim !

Last edited:
Nice!

The FW crowd is prejudiced against gyros, though, partly because of their poor safety record even BEFORE the HTL-PPO problem really heated up. The Bensen had a horrendous safety record, with as many as one fatality per month in the baddest of the bad ol' days. People still remember that -- at least the ones who walk up to me at the airport and trash-talk my gyro seem to.

I tell them that the Bensen also had flaws -- no H-stab, a somewhat high thrustline and a rotor that was too light and fast to contribute much stability. I finish by saying that we have discovered and corrected these old flaws, and that the gyro they are looking at doesn't have them.

Mark,

My friend, you are a bit too sensitive if you felt he was dissiing on Xenons because he didn't include a picture of one in his article. He did mention the Xenon in the article and you would have to ask Tim to know why he did it the way he did but I can see why he may not make a big deal of the Xenon just yet because you really can't buy one in the US right now. Hopefully all that will change in the near future. I can't imagine anyone who has spent any time at all around a Xenon not thinking they are a great Gyroplane. My only gripe is they cost more money than I can afford. (But most really cool things in life cost more than I can afford) :)

Tim,

Great article!!! (as usual) You have a way with words that is going to be responsible for a large number of people finding their way to the world of Gyroplanes. Keep up the good work.

Gyro Doug

I thought is was good. I don't think he was implying one machine over another, just that there was a wide market nowadays unlike the Bensen era. To include all gyro manufacturers would make the article too long.

The "meat" of the article was to say that gyroplanes aren't the killing machines once thought. Am I wrong?

Thanks Tim.

Mark,

My friend, you are a bit too sensitive if you felt he was dissiing on Xenons because he didn't include a picture of one in his article.
Gyro Doug

Geez
How many smily faces did I need to add to get the joking nature of my post across.?

It is a great article. That's why I posted it.

Thanks everyone!!

Yeah, Pass Around This Link!

The editor told me that the EAA 'counts' the hits made to links on these issues so the more people we can get to read this issue/article the better it is for the publication and the odds of getting more good gyro/heli personal rotorcraft articles published through the EAA are increased.

A great article in EAA Light Plane Word today. (well except for dissing Xenon with no photo)

Thanks!

Maybe people need to offer me more rides in Xenons! ;)

Nice!

The FW crowd is prejudiced against gyros...

I think we are starting to make progress!

Tim,

Great article!!! (as usual) You have a way with words that is going to be responsible for a large number of people finding their way to the world of Gyroplanes. Keep up the good work.

Gyro Doug

Thank you!

I thought is was good...
The "meat" of the article was to say that gyroplanes aren't the killing machines once thought. Am I wrong?

Thanks Tim.

Bingo! Thanks!

Very well written article, Tim! I really liked it!

Thanks!

Tim
That's more like what I expected. A snappy comeback.

And if you come to the CRA fly in this summer, you get the first ride.

Mark
www.PRA38.org

Tim
That's more like what I expected. A snappy comeback.

And if you come to the CRA fly in this summer, you get the first ride.

Mark
www.PRA38.org

Thanks! If I can make it I will take you up on that!

Don't forget to pass around this article the more hits the more likely the EAA is to run more personal rotorcraft stories!

I have already been contacted by several new potential gyro pilots :D

Tim- I just now read your article. Very well done and an extremely commanding article! The numbers it reaches probably will be more than all other sources combined. Keep up the good work.

Stan

Great article Tim, way to promote!
Thank you

good job, tim, AWESOME! Doug R most folks think my machine is a helicopter! course I explain to them I always fly in autorotation!

Thanks everyone! But the big thanks goes to EAA Light Plane for running the article!