The Ultimate STOL Gyroplane.

Edward,
This gyro can takeoff in such short distances because it has a very strong prerotator that can spin the blades up to or near flying speed. It can not hover.

Edward,
This gyro can takeoff in such short distances because it has a very strong prerotator that can spin the blades up to or near flying speed. It can not hover.
Tim
Noted and thanks ! I went throught the Butterfly's website, but the Aurora page is not ready to be visited.
Edward.

These Butterfly-constructors are genious ! I´m sorry they don´t sell their ships here in Europe. Here we are craving for features like METROstart-prerots and G-shock landing gears. Makes gyroing a lotta safer.

Angelo,

Larry Neal is the designer/manufacturer and he does sell into Europe.

Today I installed the new brakeline on my Monarch. Did a static test (no blades attached) and at 5500-5700 engine rpm my wheels were starting to slip/skid on the grass. Certainly with blades attached I should see the manufacturers standard......where by the 1100 lb rated Hegar Brakes hold the gyro while 325 rrpm is attained prior to launch which is approx 3-5 seconds from release of brakes.

295-306 rrpm is what 5500-5700 engine rpm gives, so I'm not fussed if I dont get any more than this.

Already at 210, 220 rrpm the Monarch leaves the ground in 5-8 seconds depending on wind.

I like what I have now BUT the Aurora sure does get 'your' attention.

Both the Monarch and the Aurora can spin up to 325 rrpm and launch in 3-5 seconds.

Cheers,

Mitch

Tim
Noted and thanks ! I went throught the Butterfly's website, but the Aurora page is not ready to be visited.
Edward.

G'day Tim
the more question:
In order to spin the rotor to get the max rotation speed at the shortest time, the pilot need to switch the engine throttle to max,and at this time the propeller's rotation speed should be at max level,that means the thrust is at max, so how to keep the gyro steady at there, not run foward? Using brake of the wheel? if does, does the gyro's forward speed reach at the min fly speed from the pilot loop the brake to jump within 5 second?
thanks
Ed.

Last edited:
This video impressed me!I wonder why this machine can fly in so short distance? in an other video at youtobe(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTwmj0H5CVk&NR=1) that gyroplane looks like flying in hovering. did it really hover?

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but it seems to me that I can do that, too, in my gyro. It looked like a short take-off run but nothing that I would call extraordinary. The secret is light weight, and a good prerotator together with a way to keep the gyro from starting to skid too soon.

What I am really impressed by -- and have been for some time -- is the shock absorbing landing gear. Now that's something I'd like to see in more of our gyros here in good ol' Europe.

-- Chris.

G'day Tim
the more question:
In order to spin the rotor to get the max rotation speed at the shortest time, the pilot need to switch the engine throttle to max,and at this time the propeller's rotation speed should be at max level,that means the thrust is at max, so how to keep the gyro steady at there, not run foward? Using brake of the wheel? if does, does the gyro's forward speed reach at the min fly speed from the pilot loop the brake to jump within 5 second?
thanks
Ed.

Ed,
I'm not sure if the engine gets to maximum throttle during prerotating. I believe the Butterfly uses hydraulic brakes on the main wheels to hold it in place during prerotation.

G'day Tim
the more question:
thanks
Ed.

Ed,

The way Larry has designed the Metro Launch System for the Aurora or the Super Sky Cycle which both use a Rotax 912 or a 914, the pre-rotator gets up to 300 plus Rotor RPM before the engine gets up to 3,000 RPM so the hydraulic brakes have no problem holding the Gyro still until you are ready to start your takeoff run. And it's all accomplished by flipping a switch so it is very automated and simple to do.

Gyro Doug

big Big BIGGGGGGGGG

big Big BIGGGGGGGGG

gyro to say the least about the Golden.. I had a chance to get acquainted with Dann Carrs Golden Butterfly gyro..
It does/will make a believer outta you.

After a while I did a 10' stop and drop,,, WOW,, UNBELIEVABLE,,,,,,,,it feels like a feather bed.

I'm on top of a 6' ladder, 10'7'' at the top, Dann is at the end of the Golden's 31' of rotor blades,,

Oh Yes ,, It's a LOTTa machine, so don't just jump into one and think you know what to do with it.

It takes a lil bit to get use to but after that,,, It's ALL FUN

Attachments

• sixfoota ladder,sixfootme.JPG
    sixfoota ladder,sixfootme.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 1
  • looooong shot.JPG
    looooong shot.JPG
    99.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Steve , what is the weight of that machine ?

Is that a 2.5 SOHC ? Turbo ? How was the power with 2 up ?

You know better than to stand on the top of a ladder......play it safe & get a taller ladder !

What are the blades? (size & brand) What did you think of them ?

Hello Steve
I am excited you finally had the chance to fly the Golden, I hope you found it good (well I really expected you think is great) :D
Are those Fleck blades, how did you like them?
thanks
Heron

I managed to Get 1.2 Hours Last week of Dual logged in Don's Turbo Golden.

Great fun, the Landing gear made a few of my landings come out fine, that would not have been good ones.

Terry is a great instructor, if only he was local.... and he didn't bring the wind & rain with him everytime, while he was here this week some parts near here got over 10 inches of rain...... We needed it badly.... But I want to get my rating someday......

Now I just need a local CFI that has a bird and will work on the weekends, with good weather.

We can all dream, Right?

Ed,
what prerotors do you fellows use? What is the number of flywheel teeth and bendix teeth?

Without wishing to detract from the gyros mentioned t should also be noted that quite a lot depends on the wind.

Some extremely impressive footage has been shot of gyros doing extremely short TO's and Landings but, if you were to check the windsock or nearby trees it can often be seen that a healthy headwind is playing a large part.

This of course does not effect the stop and drop gears which are most impressive. Both Larry and Jay have produced gre bits of kit which have to have improved safety.

Last edited:
Leigh,

The video Larry has on his sight showing the Metro Launch System taking his Gyro off the ground in under 100 ft is shot with very little wind. If he had a 25 mph head wind he could levitate off the ground with zero forward roll. With the Metro Launch systems ability to take the rotors to full flying speed before you start to roll, all that needs to happen to take of is to get a little forward speed going so there is some air going throught the rotors, so get her up to 25 mph and you'll be flying.