The potential of a Franz Schöfmann Helicopter

HoodGigga

Hello,

I am interested in building something similar to the Franz Schöfmann electric helicopter and would love to hear your thoughts about it.
  • Could it be improved to be safe enough for normal flight?
  • What would the flight characteristics be like?
  • Could it win the GoFly prize?
  • I would like to develop it further, are you interested in forming a GoFly team?
Some ideas I am wondering about:
  • single rotor design, with electric motor acting upon the air frame to counter torque, or innovative electric propulsion method so that anti-torque isn't required similar to how a jet-tip works

Attachments

• 20130810_007.jpg
    20130810_007.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20130810_008.jpg
    20130810_008.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 35
  • 20130810_011.jpg
    20130810_011.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 20130810_016.jpg
    20130810_016.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20130810_017.jpg
    20130810_017.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 20130810_022.jpg
    20130810_022.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20130810_023F.jpg
    20130810_023F.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check that out.

A minimally powered, low speed, high efficiency rotor would be an interesting design choice:

Hello,

I am interested in building something similar to the Franz Schöfmann electric helicopter and would love to hear your thoughts about it.
  • Could it be improved to be safe enough for normal flight?
  • What would the flight characteristics be like?
  • Could it win the GoFly prize?
  • I would like to develop it further, are you interested in forming a GoFly team?
Some ideas I am wondering about:
  • single rotor design, with electric motor acting upon the air frame to counter torque, or innovative electric propulsion method so that anti-torque isn't required similar to how a jet-tip works
Thanks for those pictures, Franz is off again 👍 Amazing guy, have you seen this thread ? https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/project-ladybug.1146758/

Hello,

Interesting - keep us updated (y)
Do you have any links to Franz Schöfmann electric helicopter?

@btd1982 thanks for the link, it was suggested to me when creating this thread, very interesting read. Your latest video is awesome! The humour still has me giggling. If you feel inspired to create this smaller rotor, please go ahead :D.

@Jens Sorry, I should have credited the link in the original post, i found the originals here. If you come across more, I would be happy to see it.

@btd1982 thanks for the link, it was suggested to me when creating this thread, very interesting read. Your latest video is awesome! The humour still has me giggling. If you feel inspired to create this smaller rotor, please go ahead :D.

@Jens Sorry, I should have credited the link in the original post, i found the originals here. If you come across more, I would be happy to see it.
Thank you 😀
It's probably the simplest flying coaxial invented and very tempting to go and build one. I was informed that Franz has stopped his experiments disassembled his flying machines and now is against others doing such things. Not due to any incidents but a change of outlook. Shame in my opinion but still a great legacy. He was one of the people who inspired me and still does. I expect I'm quite a bit heavier than Franz which would make it harder for me to succeed in flying one but I'm sure achievable with longer blades.