The new iPhone

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
Hey guys

Casey(N788T). Has just turned me on to all of the newer stuff you can do with an iPhone.

The really ne'er stuff like live weather, aviation gps, an app called iHud, fore flight for flight planning, and much more than I can list..many are free.* The iHud looks like a mult- Gage glass panel.* I went to Walmart to check on it and got my iPhone 3GS for 49.00 dollars with a 2 year contract extent ion.* I am really happy with this phone and the 100000 apps that I can get with it.* It is an iPhone, aniPad, and an iPod in one piece of equipment.* Heck I can even watch net flicks on it.* So I am sharing with you.* Pass it on.
:party:

Tech gurus...

Tech gurus...

Thanks for sharing that.

Here is an idea to tech guys like Robert Klutz the PRA Chapter 13 president and other tech guys out there. You guys know a ton of cool stuff about I phones and other gadgets, most of us not so techie guys do not.

I suggest a forum or discussion here about the neat stuff you can do these days with all the silicon out there. The voice operated GPS Robert showed me blew me away.

Jonathan

Not to rain on your parade ... But there is no comparison to the capabilities of the Droid operating system. Especially with the new dual-core, 4G phones. There is no doubt that the iPhone is a great phone ... But a side by side comparison will clearly show the Droid system superior.

BTW ... Droid is now the top-selling phone, followed by iPhone.

I have a the HTC Thunderbolt on Verizon and have a ton of aviation apps.

Last edited:
My wife just got the Thunderbolt on Verizon too. Her phone is is faster than my computer with high speed business internet!!!

If someone does not already have a smart phone I don't think it really matters which platform they go with. One may be better at one thing then the other but they both will satisfy someone who hasn't had either. I have a Droid X because we already were Verizon customers. It does more things than I'll ever be able to use. The people I know with iphones feel the same way about them. The discounted price on the 3G iphones makes them a great deal.

I have iPhone 4 and use foreflight all the time. It's a GrEat flight planning tool especially on the iPad. I don't bother getting into the iPhone vs droid debate anymore. There is little areas to compare when it comes to how the respective users use them anyway. The bottom line for me is that Verizon has a slower network and is not capable of using data network while on the phone. Meaning no gps or any other data pulling function while on the phone...which I hands free talk and gps nav often. The verizoners say ATT drops calls. Meh. I rarely drop a call but even if it were more often, I would rather have faster 3G and data full time even when on the phone.

I have the Iphone 3gs and love it. I use the app AeroWeather the most. It's free and it tells you the current weather conditions for all the airports you save. Then I use ForeFlight for a moving map while flying. I wouldn't recommend spending the 100 buks, but I also have WingX. If has some cool features but not worth the money in my opinion.
I consult my Iphone before almost every flight.
Brad

iPhone all the way for me. I have an iPhone 4 and iPad along with a few macs and they all sync and keep each other updated with my calendars, contacts email, etc.. regardless of the Apple device I am on, I have access to everything I need all the time..

I've never played with the other brands and have no interest.
I'm mac all the way.

Yes very quickly my iPad and iPhone are beginning to eclipse the capabilities of my Garmin 496 with XM weather.(aka crack for pilots) once you use it it's hard to stop.

If only there wasn't that pesky habit of getting my data connection blocked while in flight the iPhone would be the winning device...

Also to mention. There is an iPhone app and device to read odbII live. So you guys with oem computers on your gyro might find that useful.

If only ...

If only ...

Yes very quickly my iPad and iPhone are beginning to eclipse the capabilities of my Garmin 496 with XM weather.

The iPad with a program called "Beacon" by Zivorsity Software is the best thing I've ever seen for aviation and beats the snot out of the Garmin 696 ...

EXCEPT ...

It does not have "Traffic" and the iPad (as you mentioned) occasionally gets blocked cellular and GPS signals.

Hey I was thinking of buying the Newest version of the iPad2, can anyone give me links to how I can set it up as my instrument panel, I have seen such in another aircraft, I would love to download any software or help.

iPad inflight apps are only as useful as your data signal. Just keep that in mind. So you will need a 3G model.

The apps I use regularly are:

ForeFlight HD Pro (comprehensive flight planning, Wx brief via DUATS account, electronic brief filing, charts, plates, airport data, etc)
AOPA Airports (quick look at diagrams, freqs, etc)
Intellicast Weather (has the best winds forecast)
FlightPlan (conversion app)

Having recently got the iPhone 4 and downloaded some useful apps in the UK I was a tad put out, trying to get data here while I am over here. It is an unlocked phone.

I had been advised that with AT&T go-phone, calls only, I could then go on line and purchase data, however it seems this was last year, this year that option has been removed. I am now simply trying to find wifi hotspots while I try to find a plan with data that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Verizon have a package but data is minimal and expensive. I have just this evening seen a dual US UK worldwide global roaming sim with GPRS data that is sold on Continental's SkyMall. I have not yet found out if they do the mini sim for the iPhone 4 or looked at their costs

GPS app.

GPS app.

you guys talk about 3 g and 4 g signals, in the rural parts of the country, I am guessing its not a common signal, however does the GPS application rely on the data of the 3g or 4 g or does it use the constellation of satellites overhead to get a position fix ?

J

It uses GPS for location ... but in cellular coverage areas it also uses cell tower triangulation. Cell signals are needed to overlay weather data, mapping and terrain guidance.

If you have no cell signal, you need a program that will allow you to download map and terrain data. But you won't be able to get weather.

And I simply do not understand why Foreflight is so popular. If anyone compares Beacon, they will be blown away! It also includes 3D synthetic vision!

Mac attack

Mac attack

iPhone all the way for me. I have an iPhone 4 and iPad along with a few macs and they all sync and keep each other updated with my calendars, contacts email, etc.. regardless of the Apple device I am on, I have access to everything I need all the time..

I've never played with the other brands and have no interest.
I'm mac all the way.

I, too, am a MAC guy for computers, laptops and networks. And, like you, I am in a field that uses a lot of multimedia -- nothing better.

However, when it comes to cells I use the Droid simply because it syncs better with Google Apps. My offices use Google Apps for email, calendars, contacts and documents. It gives us access on any computer, any time and across all platforms.

I found that the iPAD and iPHONE don't play nice with Google Apps for its full functionality.

FYI the iPad without 3G does not have gps capability.

That is how Apple manufacturers them. The Wifi models do not come with built-in GPS.

To get the built-in GPS you must buy the WiFi+3G model.

The 3G is NOT necessary for GPS ... it is just the way they do it.