The new gyro

Wolfy, With the flexibility of the round tube, and a few flights, do you have an estimation on how much the rotor head moved in flight. I'd just like to try and compare to a square mast. Just a guess would be fine. Thanks.

Wolfy
If you install your PB3 accelerometer with X & Y horizontally and capture some data points with both axis active, then if you send me the file I'll show you exactly how much the mast was moving. You also need to install the tacho.
Mike G

My rotor head had no provision for a chordwise head shift, I finally had some time to do some modifications on my head so I could balance my one per rev.
Here is a couple of poor quality videos showing the slight stick shake that is remaining after balancing from .9 IPS down to an average of .18.
Stick free shows the slight shake remaining but hands on is totally smooth with absolutely nothing felt in the stick.
With the complete absence of 2 per rev the machine is sublime to fly even with .2 one per rev remaining. Maybe one day I will get some more shims and balance the remaining 1 per out but at this stage it's hardly worth the effort.

wolfy

Last edited:
Hi @wolfy . I have no cordwise adjustments on my rotor head, so, I had these spacers made. The originals have a shoulder of 2.5mm (equal) so by having various sized shoulders I can move the whole assembly one side or the other by a very exact amount.

Not yet had the chance to try them with restrictions being as they are at the moment.

In theory they should do the job.

philScreenshot (24).pngScreenshot (25).pngScreenshot (26).pngScreenshot (27).pngScreenshot (28).pngScreenshot (29).png

Screenshot (23).pngteeter bolt bush 1.jpgteeter bolt bush 2.jpg

Last edited:
Here is some phone video's in a series of a quick flight to a local beach about 10 min away.
I landed at a millionare's (his main house overlooking the beach) airstrip at the beach, not bush flying for sure and actually the first time I have ever flown a gyro from bitumen.
Poor quality video and certainly nothing exiting but just to show the local landscape.

wolfy

Wolfy,

What is that round thing just under your panel about the size and shape of a light bulb? See pic of screen capture.

Eric

Attachments

• Untitled jpg.jpg
    Untitled jpg.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 20
This could almost fool you into thinking this was Florida flying eh Chuck, plenty of rainfall around here without the humidity though :).

wolfy

Sure, Wolfy; that’s special Australian water that doesn’t evaporate and cause humidity.
The difference is that Florida is a peninsular separating the Atlantic Ocean from the Gulf of Mexico and with lots of rainfall, wherever one goes, it’s humid. But we grow a lot more cows per acre than you do and the cows welcome the rain; it cools them off.
Cow growing in Florida is focused on growing yearlings for shipment to feed lots in the US Midwest grain belt.
When I was growing up, Florida was quite rural; now with a damned yankee behind every tree and a population of around 21 million, Florida rivals Australia for total population.

Last edited:
Australian science Chuck, upside down.
To be honest we have just had one the most humid summers that I can remember seeing here, it was crap.
I could understand your cattle going to feed lots, to much green grass can be rank and just go's straight through them. They don't put on weight without some roughedge. Once our grass here starts to hay off the cattle really start bulk up.
Wow I had know idea about Florida's population, amazing.
Of all the flying footage of the USA I have seen I am amazed at the amount of open unpopulated country, hard to imagine with your population and land mass not a whole lot larger then Oz.

wolfy

Australian science Chuck, upside down.
To be honest we have just had one the most humid summers that I can remember seeing here, it was crap.
I could understand your cattle going to feed lots, to much green grass can be rank and just go's straight through them. They don't put on weight without some roughedge. Once our grass here starts to hay off the cattle really start bulk up.
Wow I had know idea about Florida's population, amazing.
Of all the flying footage of the USA I have seen I am amazed at the amount of open unpopulated country, hard to imagine with your population and land mass not a whole lot larger then Oz.

wolfy
A cousin of mine used to grow cows on a fair scale, Wolfy; here’s the story of him winning a lottery ticket: