The new gyro

wolfy

I decided in the end to go with clamping the pre rotator gearbox on to the mast in an attempt to accept compromise, maybe it's not the ideal solution but otherwise I would be procrastinating for another six months.
Made some parts over the weekend, the clamp itself was made on a wire EDM and is super accurate and is a finished product (besides milling the holes) straight from the EDM machine.cid_862.jpegcid_861.jpegcid_859.jpegcid_858.jpeg

bugflyer

Bugflyer
Aircraft
owned C-205, Titan Tornado II, flown C150s, PA-140s, PA-18, R-22. R-44, 1 hour in P51C
Total Flight Time

Might be a bit smoother if you used small CV joints instead of universal joints.
smiles,
Charles

wolfy

Might be a bit smoother if you used small CV joints instead of universal joints.
smiles,
Charles
Yep your right mate I thought the same but I couldn't find any proper cv joints small enough anywhere.
These uni joints are needle bearing units rated for 4000 rpm, I have angled the bevel gearbox so that all the unis share some of the angle so that each uni will only bend about 2-3 degrees with the head tilted back about 3 degrees from center stick.

wolfy

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
It definitely made a world of difference having a complete machine shop full of state of the art equipment and an amazing machinist behind one Wolfy, but you are definitely showing us how it can be done without all that good stuff. 👍

I have to say with great respect, that what you are doing is way beyond my capabilities.

Chook

Aircraft
Amax single, ELA 07s
Terrific Wolfy - now tell me that you are going to paint white and red stripes on one of your rotors so that we can see you in the air!

Regards.......Chook.