The making of Behemot

From the pictures that paint looks bright and rich….is the spray can paint you're using some special type of Krylon? I couldn't fine where you mentioned it…..

Yes, I too prefer things on the beefy side. I heartily approve of your methods. But, I hope you find the 582 will give you the performance you are looking for. I had to back off weight on the Bulldozer in the second iteration and will probably cleave more off in the third episode of the build trilogy. It was amazing how much a little weight made a big difference in performance. Still, to do over again from scratch, I'd keep the beef and add more horsepower and bigger rotors.

Alodine is brilliant. I'm sure you'll be pleased with the outcome. I used Dupli-color auto rattle-can touch-up over an Alodine prep and had very good results. Better than with a self-etching zinc chromate primer. The ultimate key is lots of clear topcoat, as you have already found.

Oh, this is looking so cool Gabi. It kinda reminds me of an erector-set I had as a kid….it is a wonder I can remember that far back ;).

Even though those fiberglass legs look neat dress in black….setting in the sun, horizontally tipping down, they may heat up to 180° or more. I don't know what resin was used (was not expected to see the sun), some soften more than others, but you may find the glass will began to creep under load….your frame will slowly sink toward the ground. Think "white" or at least some light color….just a suggestion….but then you can always make a new set if that happens….

Normally fiberglass is sprayed with a UV inhibited primer and then painted white. This inhibitor is used to filter out the UV rays that can damage the resin…the heat prevention is left more to the white paint. I don't know if there is something available that will reflect most sunlight off a black surface….?

If you use yellow stripes, I think it would be better if they were at an angle so the black heated portion isn't straight across the leg….would act kinda like an angled splice ;).

Gabor, you need to move to a cooler climate, There is nothing that can protect anything from the Florida sun! That is why most fiberglass boats and composite aircraft are painted white. :)

Gabor you would have to move farther north, like Chicago.....Or you could get a nifty canopy to place over it when on display, hopefully when flying, the prop blast will keep it cool. :)

Wow Gabor,

Eventhough I've seen her up close twice, it's a different level of excitement when you start to re-assemble those painted parts! Lookin' Goooooooood!

Looking real sharp, Gabor. You have every right to be proud of how this gyro is coming together. Love the color combination!!

choppergabor :
Great looking colors you are using there Gabor!
Are you getting any better with the machine? Lots of practice though!

The gyro is starting to look like an artist color rendering.. I wondered why the black trim on the front of the tail. So are you going to show your hand drawn gyro or do we have to wait till the end? lol. Nice contrasting.

Very nice, Gab.
Say - aren't those the colors of the Jamaican flag?
;)

Wow Man! That 670 will be much more your style, "Beefy"

Geeze! Now you are getting Me to want to put my Arctic Cat 650 on the Dominator!

Last edited:
Yes the 670 is a beast, Brent Brown has been flying one for quite a while.
You MUST retard the timing if you are converting a sled engine.

I agree lots of beef to haul beef! :d

I use all the rotax airmotor stuff, head, stater all the wires and bing carbs. I gap the triggers just like a 618. I think a 618 pipe would work better than the 582 rotax did too.

we should start a 670 thread. I read somewhere a shop is making new 670 with case tapped for a pro-8 gearbox. and using new H.O. cranks.

We all know why rotax stop selling the 618 right. They wanted to sell a 912.