The making of Behemot

Gabor .....:) I am pretty sure you are really a sculptor and design artist trying to disguised himself as a helicopter pilot :)

Your ideas never cease to amaze me . I love this build and your way of doing things. Very nice.

Arnie

Clever mechanism on the tailwheel there Gabor. The "Bat Copter" is really starting to come together now. I will tell you though, the same thing I told Gary Weaver about his "Captain America" gyro:

If you show up in spandex tights with a cape, we're sittin' at different tables. :boink:

That is one strong looking frame. Only bit I wanted to look closer at was the rear keel frame plates with all the holes.

Like the suspension set up on the main gear and tail-wheel. Very sturdy.

Wondering what the final weight is going to be. What HP power-plant did you say you were getting for this? (Probably got a secret order into Racer.)

Really coming on there Gabor, you are doing pretty good.

Oh no....Jon, you just gave Gabi a challenge...we're doomed....although he will probably be also wearing a chainsaw strapped to his belt……

I keep trying to figure out what you are going to do next Gabi, but I have yet to be correct….it's kinda my challenge before each new post. I do know that I enjoy following this build….and learning new approaches for the task at hand. You are doing great…..

Well, OF COURSE he'll be wearing a chainsaw strapped to his belt. But we don't have to worry, he'll probably use the motor for the pre-rotator.

I notice you are calling the gentleman "Gabi" now. Is that an Ohio thing? Should I localize his name as well? Hmm...this is Georgia....ChopperGoober?

Yeah...doomed I am....oh well...just another typical day. :D

Well, OF COURSE he'll be wearing a chainsaw strapped to his belt. But we don't have to worry, he'll probably use the motor for the pre-rotator.

I notice you are calling the gentleman "Gabi" now. Is that an Ohio thing? Should I localize his name as well? Hmm...this is Georgia....ChopperGoober?

Yeah...doomed I am....oh well...just another typical day. :D

Must be a location thing... Out here Dave and the boys call him Gabe! :wave:

Location? Gabe? Gabi?

He's not on Desperate Housewives, guys he's in his garage working on... Oh. Drinking beer. Again.

You guys crack me up :)
If you show up in spandex tights with a cape, we're sittin' at different tables. :boink:
So John let me get this clear. I can't wear spandex? Well I wasn't going to. I normally wear my Speedo and I am sure that's ok with you.:eek:

That is one strong looking frame. Only bit I wanted to look closer at was the rear keel frame plates with all the holes.
Leigh I attach a picture of the strong looking frame I'll try to capture a closer look for you later :)

I keep trying to figure out what you are going to do next Gabi, but I have yet to be correct
Hahaaaaaaaaaa Ed I try to keep it interesting. I never said I was predictable! You wouldn't want me to be. That's half the fun....now if I could find the other half...... :)

I notice you are calling the gentleman "Gabi" now. Is that an Ohio thing?
Jon it very well could be since Cleveland is the second Budapest. Full of Hungarians :) I'd avoid it! But the way it's pronounced is not how you guys use Gabi. In Hungarian it sounds like Guhbi (I have to put on my bilingual hat for this LOL) Pete started the trend calling me that way :)

Must be a location thing... Out here Dave and the boys call him Gabe!
That will work too John :) Besides I have been called all kinds of ...... never mind!:lol:

Last edited:
Well.....Gabi has an "i" at the end and words that end in "i" look kinda cute....you know? Besides that, I have seen Gabor use Gabi.

You are absolutely correct!!!!! In Hungarian the i at the end makes everything become sort of a nick namish...... did I just make up that word on the fly?
Same as John And Johnny there is that i works same way as the y. And sounds the same too :)

So...I should call you Goober? (perhaps I am confused.......again....um....perpetually)

As to speedos...you may quote me: "Just Say NO to Speedos!" Take a drive down to Hallandale Beach in tourist season and you'll see ample evidence to support my creed.

Getting back to that gyro thingy.....

What do you plan for instrumentation, radios and the like? Have you worked that all out yet?

What do you plan for instrumentation, radios and the like? Have you worked that all out yet?

I have of course the Airspeed meter, Vertical Compass, Altimeter, I'll use my handheld radio for now, I have a transponder and I might get a GPS. So far that's all I have. Plenty enough for a starter I believe. I may not hook up the Transponder just yet. I can manage to fly into controlled spaces of D class without having one and if I have to hit Charlie of Daytona I can call ahead and ask to transition through the airspace following the shore lines at 500 or so. I think I'll be good for now. And of course I need to get a MACH meter to figure out the speed when I transition into first cosmic speed. It is in the plans that this gyro will be able to space travel too....but I really don't want to give out too much info......

... And of course I need to get a MACH meter to figure out the speed when I transition into first cosmic speed. It is in the plans that this gyro will be able to space travel too....but I really don't want to give out too much info......
OMG, OK don't encourage him on this one folks, he is liable to do it! :help:

OMG, OK don't encourage him on this one folks, he is liable to do it! :help:

I guess John you know me well enough by now hahahaha.
Ok Leigh here are a few shots I made you quickly. Now I got to go and clean up the area. Before the Queen gets upset! :) I would NOT want that to happen.:blabla:

Last edited:
Opps sorry Leigh I forgot the engine for this baby is a 582 Rotax with a 68" warp prop :) YEAHHHHHHHHHHH BABYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :)

Last edited:
Great pictures! I especially appreciate your use of convenience cup-holders throughout the design. You can never have too many of those in a vehicle, no matter what GM says.

I know Jon I am sick of these whiny dog squeezes telling me just how many cops of coffee I can fly with. Whatever happened with convenience and comfort? Bunch of flight Nazis... Don't worry my friend this baby will be the Cadillac of the sky. I ain't gonna short cut comfort for "saving weight"! Screw that! Full figured gyros RULE! Ok on a more serious note (Jon you are a bad influence on me) I have machined the Red Oak tip and will glue i in as soon as the proper bolt arrives with the cotter pin option. It might be a good idea to make sure the tail doesn't fly away from the frame....... So I have been working on the top and bottom pivot blocks right now and of course the HS block too. I have put some dimples right in the middle of the pipe so the tubes of the HS will stop right dead center. Not that it matters but why not be a perfectionist? :)

Last edited:
choppergoober said:
(Jon you are a bad influence on me)

Thank you, sir. That is very kind of you to say. One does what one can.

:focus:

Interesting technique with regard to your glassed-in contact points. It reminds me of marine-type fiberglass construction with the use of wood rather than embedded metal touch-points.

I am considering a rebuild of the Bulldozer tail in glass and foam. Is your choice of wood contact points just a matter of preference or are you trying to avoid the difficulty in bonding to aluminum or some other material?

Gabi...may I? A 68'' prop? Pretty big ( like the rest of the Gyro).

Is that within the limits for the engine gearbox combo?

Those plates do look pretty sturdy.

Like the gang say, good to just stand around and watch a man just dig in and go for it.

Oh, and tell Stan to stop dropping those darn ribs bones around after he's finished sucking on them, he's making people drool.