The making of a Dominator

Wow! All I can say is...wow!

Makes me not want to bring my Dominator out of the hangar anymore!

Nice work!

BarryK

Well we just got back for utah tonight. I only got to spend a few hours friday at the fly-in. It was pretty exciting with a helicopter crash and all. But thank goodness that the pilot was alright. He walked away from it. I'm sure the vidio will make it's way to you tube.
My nose pod and tail did'nt make it last week but hopfully they'll be here tommorrow or monday we'll see.

Well they came. I took delivery of my nose pod and tall tail this past monday. I'll post pictures as soon as I can. WHOO HOO!!!!!!!!

What? You are not going to build your own tail?!
I figured you mill one out of solid billet! :) Nice work, first class.

Thank you for everybody's compliments.
Sorry I missed you Todd. I was only able to spend a few hours at the fly-in on friday. And I did'nt get to go at all saturday. At the last minute bringing my gyro turded into to much of a hassle to bring so it did'nt make the trip at all.
But one of these days we really need to hook up I'd really like to see your gyro. It's an impressive set up you have there.

[
ATTACH]47429[/ATTACH]
Here it is. My tall tail to accomidate a 70 in. prop.

Attachments

• DCAM0010.JPG
    DCAM0010.JPG
    34.5 KB · Views: 4
000_0051.JPGI finally got a picture of my nose pod. I still have alot of assembly to do.

000_0053.JPG
And I also got restarted on my joystick control block.
000_0054.JPG

000_0055.JPG

000_0056.JPG

000_0057.JPG
And here is the finished product. If you haven't noticed I'm a big fan of needle bearings.
000_0058.JPGThe file represents how the front seat braces will be mounted from the ears on the block to the frame of the seat.

I Think if you mount your seat forward braces the way you show on the picture with the file, you wont have enough roll movement with the cyclic stick. heres a pic. Your machine looks real good!

Attachments

• DSCF0228.jpg
    DSCF0228.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0231.jpg
    DSCF0231.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 6
Paddy that was just an example of how the seat bracket arms connect to the joystick bearing block. When I build the brackets ( or bracing ) which ever you want to call it, I'll have to do some bending and twicking to the tubing to get it to fit and still make sure that the joystick will clear them.
By the way thank you Paddy and Pete for the compliments.

And also if anyone has a dominator with a nose pod I could sure use some close up pictures of all the mounting points. Thank you.

Paddy, in the picture you posted of the seat brackets; it apears the brackets are suspended outboard each side on stand offs. The bolts are not in shear, but under sever bending load. Not to be critical but that does not give me a "nice, warm feeling in the pit of my stomach"! :eek:

pod

pod

Larry,
Go to the bottom of the page - lower right hand corner, click archive, go down the list to kit makers & manufactuers, click, go down the page to thread 104.
You will find pictures there.

Pete,
yep. the bolt is not quite in shear and has bending loads on it. My bushings between the seat brace angle and the Keel tube are a bigger diameter than the ones in the pictures. I stand on the seat to have a look at the head before flight and the Seat is absolutely solid. Ive had the bolt out to make sure its not bending and its fine. I think a lot of the weight of my seat and myself is on the keel to mast brace. If I find any problems Ill post it here
Paddy
Paddy

Larry
I've decided after following your build, I'd like to build a Dominator as well. I sure have enjoyed your progress reports to date. A work of art for sure. Thanks for all the great pic's
Russ

000_0059.JPGToday I did'nt make any gyro parts. Instead I started making a tool to make gyro parts. These are pictures of the tubing bender I'm going to use to bend a new front fork for my nose wheel. I'll still have to fill the tube with sand and cap the ends and add alittle heat to it but these dies will fully encase the tubing at the point where it's being bent. there's about .002 to .003 clearance all the way around the tube at the bending point so it should not let the tube lose it's round shape while being bent. (In theory of coarse)

000_0060.JPG

000_0061.JPG

000_0062.JPG

000_0063.JPG

000_0064.JPG

Custom Tools ???

Custom Tools ???

Holly Crap !! the kid can't even use a "store bought" tube bender.......
What's this gyro world coming to..... Gee's I love Duck Tape and wire ties.....

eddie......:boom:......