The Goldfish

Buckingdummy

The kids and I were messing around in the shop after school today. My daughter called my gyroplane "The Goldfish"

Actually her exact words were "Daddy can I sit in the Goldfish again" LOL

I thought about it and it does look like a goldfish so I am sticking with that name.

Thought I would post some pictures of my progress, open for comments/suggestions or questions. Never done a build like this before can use all the advice I can get. (sorry about the quality I took them with my phone and I shake prepetually)

Radiator brackets are built and its mounted, was worried it would take away from the looks of the plane but it doesn't look bad at all.

picture.php

New tailwheel is mounted cables are all installed ran out of swedgies (thats what I call them and the kids crack up laughing) today so couldn't do the final cable connection.

picture.php

Got the auxilary tank, fuel gauge wiring installed and the seat moved forward to fit me.

picture.php

Motor in place so I can start planning placement of the oil tank, water overflow, exhaust, fuel pump ect. going to be tight but it might all actually fit.

picture.php

I think this instrument panel is butt ugly, It came with the plane. Thinking about building a new one that is easier on the eyes.

picture.php

Decided to put the prop on just to see what it looks like. That is one big prop, 5 inches of clearance with the tailwheel 3 inches of the ground. more than enough clearance. This is the first time I had the prop on since I got it, I really want to paint it because it kind of clashes with the rest of the plane.

picture.php

Set the cowling on to check and see if everything is going to fit, so far so good. This is going to be one bad ass looking machine when I am finished.
Thinking about splurdging on a prop spinner just to add to the look of the machine.

picture.php

Look at those lines, sometimes I find myself just sitting there admiring what a beautiful machine this could be someday.

picture.php

Need to start taking pictures and documenting this build I will keep posting more as I make more progress.

Last edited:
Ooh ya, this is me in case you were wondering. Kids wanted to take my picture, not my best angle I'm really not that ugly. Or am I ???

picture.php

Last edited:
Pictures of the rotorbrake and level locking mechanism I built.
Notice the plates, the teeter bar and the rotorhead, when I had it all apart I buffed and polished it all, cant tell right now cause it has my fingerprints all over it but when its clean you can see yourself in it. Now I am wishing I would have done the whole mast while I had it apart.
Also wishing I would have painted the prerotator while I had it all apart and was rebuilding it.

picture.php

picture.php

Hi Kelly

Like your choice of tail wheel, think this will make for much better ground handling, but this will also make a serious change in rotor clearance to the ground. The prop is WAY TO BIG, don't even try to use it. You should have at least 6" ground clearance with the gyro at flight attitude, what if it were necessary for you to make a "fly on" landing ?????

Tony

Scandtours, this prop was designed specifically for the engine gearbox combination but was designed for a kitfox not a gyroplane. So not sure how its going to work yet.
I adjusted the seat to fit a 5'7" 145lbs pilot so if you are over that no you can't sit in it. lol

WHY,
It does have over 6" clearance the tail is on blocks and the tailwheel is about 3 or more inches of the ground. When the tailwheel is on the ground it will easily be over 6" clearance.
The original plan the new tailwheel was only supposed to lower the tail a couple of inches. Somehow while fabricating the spring I must have screwed up a measurement and it dropped the tail about 4 inches.
I already had the spring all sanded primered and painted and didn't realized I had a miscalculation until I went to mount it. It should work as is but if its a problem It won't be hard to raise the tail up a couple of inches.
My other concern was that the tailwheel isn't quite level but a little lower in the front than in the back. Because of my mishap with the spring. I don't THINK its a problem but if effects the performance of the tailwheel again its a pretty simple fix.

Last edited:
Hmmm 6" at flight attitude hmmm that might be a problem. Going to have to check into that tomorrow. I am recalling from memory from the manual so I am not sure but I think it said when I do the hang test its supposed to be at a 10 degree nose up but again I cant remember for sure. Dhooo now I am going to be awake half the night trying to figure what the actual flight attitude is going to be, lol

Maybe my screw up on the tailspring was a good thing, to be determined at a later date.

Kelly, flight attitude is Level .

Tony

Crap, ran out to the shop to take some measurements, I am affraid you might be right. :violin:

Is it level, I thought it was a touch nose up in a gyro, thanks.

I was looking at pictures of other gyros today trying to decide if it was going to work or not.
Trying to determine prop clearance and after looking at these pictures thought I was good to go. Now I am not so sure, need to do more research thanks for the heads up.

http://gyronation.com/images/hayden/pitbull02800.jpg

http://virtualultralightmuseum.com/LittleWingAviationAutogyro.jpg

That can't be right Tony? both of the gyros in these pictures look like if they were sitting level there props would be touching the ground or close to it.

Mine actually isn't any longer that the 2 blade prop on the blue pitbull. The shape of the prop and the fact that its three bladed makes it look huge.

Last edited:
Kelly

If you never have to make a fly on landing or want to "fly down the runway on the mains, you will never have a problem, but if the prop does not touch it will still "suck up so much debri and gravel it will really chew up the prop.

I had a hangar for a while that was on a taxi way that was old deteriorating asphalt with a lot of gravel in it. In 6 months time it had eaten all the paint off the tips of the prop and even erroded the ends and that was just at taxi rpm.

Tony

I went out an leveled the keel then took a measurement. 5 inches clearance.
I wouldn't mind buying a differant prop if I had to I think I can get one a whole lot lighter than this one. This one just came with the engine so I was hoping it would work save me a little money.

How much clearance did you have on that one?

One more question maybe you can answer, this prop is wood covered in composite. Can I lightly sand and paint it as long as I balance it when I am done or do I run the risk of ruining it?

Would have to measure and get back, on the sanding the composite, thats out of my league.

Tony

Propeller thoughts

Propeller thoughts

Hello Kelly,

In my opinion on an airplane with conventional gear nine inches would be a good clearance with the aircraft at the normal take off attitude.

I feel the big propeller will improve your performance.

I would raise the landing gear rather than install a shorter propeller.

I have a plastic covered wooden propeller.

I repair damage on it all the time.

I would find out from the propeller manufacturer what paint to use.

My propeller is balanced statically with led in holes in the hub.

Thank you, Vance

Kelly,
Consider a 4 blade prop instead, but check first with prop manufacturer for assistance.
What would happen if you have to land with a flat tire? The chances are minima and extreme of course but the danger exists. The machine will drop down few inches.

Also need to consider how much spring in the gear, in the event of a hard landing.

Kelly,

Have you seen this video? I still dont know why Ron Awad thinks that tractors are harder to take off and land than a pusher. I think it is all in the technique and the pre rotator efficeincy. Many of us with a tractor have the same starter motor pre rotator you have and it requires more runway and patience to get off the ground than a hydraulic unit or a more efficient "gas powered" unit. On that prop, Vance is right on, i would raise the front gear before reducing prop size. That is an easier and more efficient fix. Could be as easy as lengthening those struts from the mast downward. I would bet the travel in the front gear is about 1" max anyway!

Pitbull Gyroplane - YouTube

Tim

Last edited:
I'm not particularly interested in tractors, but this video does have me curious about the landings. How are they at landing without a strong headwind? Is it difficult to put it down on that tail wheel?

Alan,
3 to 1 ratio

Mercert,
Oooh ya, I have watched that video a hundred times.
It's one of the things I factored in when choosing a gyroplane. I had already decided I wanted a tractor after a lot of research. Not many options for tractors, I was thinking about buying a littlewing frame and starting from scratch but didn't think I had the time to complete it in a timely manner. besides having never built one I wanted something simpler. Then I found a great deal on this pitbull kit and bought it.

rotax B box can only be 2 , 2.24 or 2.58 to 1 if you have 3 to 1 you have a c box and it will handle that prop with no problem.

Norm

I looked at your photos and you have a B box so it can't be 3 to 1 and you may be pushing the limit with that engine and prop, I had a 583 with B box and a 70 inch 2 blade warp drive and it shredded the box in less than 10 hours.

Norm