The first seat tank?

Most composites should be kept away from the extra heat from a dark finish, some fail completely.
I don't know the specs for the UV cured resin, it's probably similar to the material first used in dentistry....
A lesson can be learned from the old stick and cloth airplanes for UV protection. Paint a first thin coat of aluminum paint as a reflective base, then paint the final color over it.
I would double check the resin heat specs before painting it black, I think that is a problem. Most composite aircraft are painted white for a reason.

Here's all I can contribute:

Nobody, and I really mean  nobody, puts black on composite sailplanes, full of carbon fibre these days. Colors other than white are only used for tiny markings such as registration numbers or a splash of color on nose, divebrakes, or wingtips for visibility. Manufacturers explicitly forbid colors in the manuals and the airworthiness and approved repair methods documents. If you ever see a glider with colorful paint, it is an old metal- or tube & fabric-construction bird.

Last edited:
This is some research I arrived at after following these guidelines based on this article. I was the skeptic first.
Not so much anymore. My two bro's from McDill AFB hooked me up with the paint.
They were aircraft mechanics and my motorcycle racing buddies! The paint was not forbidden to use so my friend gave me the formula.
Emron deep black is the closest commercial formula. A lil scotch bright pad gives it a satin look.

I would not use any dark colors unless the resin was rated above 300F to have a safety margin.
There are very high temp epoxies, but they are expensive and the foam core can only take so much heat before breaking down quickly.
The glass, or carbon doesn't care, but the resins do.
The best heat reflective coatings are made with barium sulfate, which has the highest reflectivity AND the highest emissivity.
They appear white and actually can render the surface lower than ambient temperature.

OK. For the critics of critical temperature due to dark paint. Tested in the real world, morning sunlight from 9am to 12:00 noon and 3 pm mid day sunlight temps taken. lowest temp was ~100f to a highest of 123f. 118f was about average. I am not concerned about heat absorption or surface temps in full sunlight. The base coat was white primer and the paint is reflective enough to not get any where near 158f "heat distortion temperatures." At least now I know for sure since testing the temps, and that's a positive. And the carbon fiber one see's is a wrap. It's for aesthetics. Hope this helps clarify the concerns expressed.
In Arizona in July I have seen surface temps from 116F to 136F on 2 white cars from the same MFG.
So white paint can vary. The undercoat is important, but I have measured temps over 160F with black paint.
When I was first building my off grid facility, I would cook pizzas in a black 20mm ammo box on the S side of the building.
They came out steaming in 20 minutes.
Even if it doesn't immediately break down the material, heating at over 140F will rapidly age synthetic materials and AL.

What is the core material?
BTW UV cured does not mean it is resistant to UV, if anything the UV may age it much faster.
If it is only in the sun while flying, the airflow will definitely be a saving grace, but as soon as you park it.......

I can show you a lot of black cars in Arizona,but it doesn't mean it's a smart thing to do!

Quite possibly the first seat tank ever made. View attachment 1145756
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Smokey at Rockford, IL. PRA Conv. around 1973. Smokey taught me how to do a quick, Bensen MAC preflight, "go up to the gyro and kick the engine area hard". If nothing falls off, it's OK to fly. Preflights like that lead to his death. The seat tank signage sadly foretold his demise.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed meeting Smokey at Rockford, IL. PRA Conv. around 1973. Smokey taught me how to do a quick, Bensen MAC preflight, "go up to the gyro and kick the engine area hard". If nothing falls off, it's OK to fly. Preflights like that lead to his death. The seat tank signage sadly foretold his demise.
Agreed Tom. I never met him but, have heard so many stories I feel like I did. I met one of his granddaughters. She and her entire family blamed gyros for his death. I explained to her it was a known issue and despite the best effort of his friends and mentors he refused to correct the issue. His stubbornness caused his death nothing else.

Tom,

Unfortunately there are many within all facets of aviation that subscribe to the lack of the proper level of discipline required to preflight. Eventually, they all end up like Smokey. With a previous post, I mentioned when I once worked for a FBO / flight school / aircraft rental we had a "no fly list" in a binder filled with names of pilots with the same negative attitude about not preflighting, not following rental policy rules and disregarding FAA rules and regulations. In the end, they all met their demise because of their actions.

Wayne

thoroughly enjoyed meeting Smokey at Rockford, IL. PRA Conv. around 1973. Smokey taught me how to do a quick, Bensen MAC preflight, "go up to the gyro and kick the engine area hard". If nothing falls off, it's OK to fly. Preflights like that lead to his death. The seat tank signage sadly foretold his demise.
It appears he lived/died his dream/prophecy.

The designer of the Swedish Humla autogiro (Bumblebee autogyro) Helge Svensson, constucted this type of fuel tank on the mast. Even the King and Queen Sweden who were our preeminent guests in our 1988 Fly In were impressed......(Photo no 5). It was a very nice feeling flying and being watched by the King.
Click second time on image for enlargem.

Attachments

• SCAN_20240307_093935880_001.jpg
    SCAN_20240307_093935880_001.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 23
  • swed.jpg
    swed.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 23
  • sw4.jpg
    sw4.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 22
  • SCAN_20240307_093712503_001.jpg
    SCAN_20240307_093712503_001.jpg