The first Bensen with fully enclosure.

scandtours

scandtours
Aircraft
Bensen,Brock, Parsons Tandem
I am am sure this is the first Bensen ever built with fully enclosure built here in Cyprus. I test flew it and what I can say it could fly ok.
Why "Benson" is written on the tail is because C. Ioannou, a (Canadian Cypriot guy) bought all the rights from Bensen and renamed the com. Benson.

Attachments

• SCAN_20230315_142113973.jpg
    SCAN_20230315_142113973.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 41
  • SCAN_20230315_1421139731.jpg
    SCAN_20230315_1421139731.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 40
  • SCAN_20230315_143656794.jpg
    SCAN_20230315_143656794.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 39
  • thumbnail (5).jpg
    thumbnail (5).jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 38
There were a few one-off gyros with this configuration. One, by a Dick Gooch, even had an overhead stick protruding through a slot in its cabin roof.

This configuration typically "flies OK" as long as the engine is running. However, they have an unpleasant habit of attempting to fly back-end-first when the engine quits. The vertical fin-rudder, although a bit larger than Bensen's, has a short lever arm. It also lives in the "wind shadow" of the body pod and the blunt engine cowl.

There's no horizontal tail volume to speak of. Bensen got caught in an error when he left out an effective H-stab on his B-8M. Rather than fix the problem, Dr. B. just shucked, jived, and lied about this error for years after. Many believed the lies, and some of the believers paid for it with their lives. This gyro likely would have a tendency to "tuck" forward at high airspeeds. It also would likely exhibit slip-roll divergence.

Thankfully, we all know better now. Mostly.

It's always neat to see pictures from the past, there have been some interesting gyro builds throughout the years. Looking back I thought someone had built a Benson with a BD-5 fuselage? Was that Gary Goldsberry? I thought it was featured in a old PRA magazine once? It is amazing how many enclosed or partially enclosed gyro's were built without a horizontal stab and insufficient vertical stab/rudder surface area.

Gary built a two place using a Rotorway Exec body. It was originally to be powered by a turbo prop but he couldn’t get it to work. He did however fly it using a 2.5 Subaru. It was way under powered. I believe he ended up crashing it.

The problem with most Bensen’s people put enclosures on was they kept the stock tail. The stock tail was just a piece of plywood with a balancing weight on it. The volume was just enough for the stock open framed Bensen. Once you go to even a partial enclosure the rudder needed to be improved upon greatly. It needed to be an airfoil of some sort and be increased in size to accommodate the larger surface area ahead of it. Without that it would have a tendency to want to swap ends.