Testing My New Air Filter

KenSandyEggo

Platinum Member
Aircraft
McCulloch J2
Total Flight Time
approx. 1400+
Went to the airport late this morning to replace my air filter with a new Brackett filter. That's what was in there anyway. What a difference. I had full fuel and it was at least 90 degrees out. I started my roll after spinning up and she literally was up off the runway before I realized it. I noticed on the last few flights that the performance seemed to be deteriorating. She seemed sluggish and wasn't showing much top-end, even indicated. I was cruising easily again at 90 m.p.h. today. Besides that expensive gas ($4.05 at Goose Creek now), they need plenty of free air.

Here are some photos of before take-off, climb-out, a shot out of the right and left door windows, a panel pic (notice how I unconsciously pull back on the stick and reduce speed when I'm doing something like taking a photo?), a pic of the red zit on my nose (66 years old and I still get zits!), and after landing. 1st 4 are here and the last 3 are in the next post.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Last 3 photos. Notice that after I came back I switched over to a 2-bladed rotor system? :confused:

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
How is the two blade system working out? What rotor head is that? Will you be able to get an STC?

Thank you,Vance

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Those toes again.;)

Aussie Paul.:)

2 blade

2 blade

KenSandyEggo said:
Last 3 photos. Notice that after I came back I switched over to a 2-bladed rotor system? :confused:

still has a 3 blade shadow -- cute trick

KenSandyEggo said:
Went to the airport late this morning to replace my air filter with a new Brackett filter. That's what was in there anyway. What a difference. I had full fuel and it was at least 90 degrees out. I started my roll after spinning up and she literally was up off the runway before I realized it. I noticed on the last few flights that the performance seemed to be deteriorating. She seemed sluggish and wasn't showing much top-end, even indicated. I was cruising easily again at 90 m.p.h. today. Besides that expensive gas ($4.05 at Goose Creek now), they need plenty of free air.

Here are some photos of before take-off, climb-out, a shot out of the right and left door windows, a panel pic (notice how I unconsciously pull back on the stick and reduce speed when I'm doing something like taking a photo?), a pic of the red zit on my nose (66 years old and I still get zits!), and after landing. 1st 4 are here and the last 3 are in the next post.

Testing you new air filter Ken. Don't you mean your underdaks!!!!:D

In one of his cheeky moods, Aussie Paul.:)

headset question

headset question

Ken,

How is your radio issue working out ? ever get that mag to quiet down and if so what was the problem.

does that sigtronics headset work better than others ?

Jonathan

Should have set a course for Anson county where av gas is 3.69$ a gallon, might have been worth the trip over plus you could have had lunch with us!

Autogas is down again to 2.58$ a gallon around the corner from my house.

Ron, I thought the Anson lunch was on Saturdays only. Today is Sunday.....isn't it?

Jonathan, radio still sucks. It transmits and receives O.K., but most of the time there's a hash sound. On longer trips, it will sometimes disappear for awhile. Usually when I shut the left mag off, it disappears. Today I went to the left mag only and it also was noise-free. But when I go back to 2 mags, it reappears. I have a noise filter for a mag, but now I don't know which one to try it out on. Luckily it's not as busy here as in San Diego. I just turn the radio down until I need it, but I have to find a solution. It's aggravating.

I like the Sigtronics. I've had them for about 8 years or more. Can't even remember what I had before them...maybe Telex, but I'm not sure. One of the main reasons I like them is that they have only one volume control for the ear-cups. Being somewhat anal at times, I'd drive myself nuts trying to get the volume balanced between both ear-cups with 2 volume controls like a lot of sets have.

"Don't you mean your underdaks!!!!" I'm going to have to request a translation, Paul. Must be a "down-under" term. Notice that I cleverly positioned the bad toe behind the key-chain. The left one is cured, but the right one still has a little way to go.

Last edited:
Good thing I didn't show up on Saturday. You mean those 2 or 3 times I went were all on a Sunday? I would swear it was Saturdays. Why wasn't everyone there in church then?

They have church Sunday nights and Wednesday evenings as well.....

Yeap we always went on Sundays Kenny!

That was back in the days before you got put on a crappy work schedule.

Nice pics of your J2. The J2 is definately one of the best looking gyros.

No.1 pic, I think shows the best angle of the bird. Beautiful machine.

Last pic, nice panel...ugly feet.

Cheers.:)

PS. Have you checked the individual gnds. with an ohm meter?

Nope, Harry. I have to pull off the panel behind the seat and get to work on that. At least you didn't say, "ugly face."

Ken; My mama said...most people are pretty, nice looking, or ugly...if you can't say they're pretty or nice looking...don't say anything.:p

You know Ken...if you and I and one other un-named, were in the same airplane and called ATC for permission to land...they would most likely...defer.:D

If Cody were on station, he most likely would say..."Airport is now closed."

Cheers :)

KenSandyEggo said:
"Don't you mean your underdaks!!!!" I'm going to have to request a translation, Paul. Must be a "down-under" term.

Daks as in pants!!!!!:eek:

O.K., "Daks" are pants. Now I know. I'm surprised no one questioned that partial roll of toilet paper in the left glove box that clearly shows in the panel photo. That's in case I really scare the s**t out of myself.

KenSandyEggo said:
O.K., "Daks" are pants. Now I know. I'm surprised no one questioned that partial roll of toilet paper in the left glove box that clearly shows in the panel photo. That's in case I really scare the s**t out of myself.

We did not want to embarress you Ken, you do that very well by yourself!!!!:rolleyes:

G'day mate!!:eek: