TEST: Does this new post appear on main page?

No Title

Thanks Steve. Trying this again in Microsoft Edge (internet explorer in Windows 10). Seems to work OK so far. Chrome is my main browser that has been reporting all the errors. Will try to upload screen shot of the error msg I get in Chrome. Would really like to learn why this has been happening. Would rather not be forced to switch browsers just for one site. Thanks again for the report.

Attachments

• photo131242.jpg
    photo131242.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo131243.jpg
    photo131243.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1
I think I have figured out the issue with viewing the site using Chrome.
The certificate is invalid.Todd needs to renew it before the site is shown as secure.
I still get this message when I attempt to access the site..."When you go to a site that uses HTTPS (connection security), the website's server uses a certificate to prove the website's identity to browsers, like Chrome. Anyone can create a certificate claiming to be whatever website they want." To help you stay safe on the web, Chrome requires websites to use certificates from trusted organizations."

On January 19, 2017, a public posting to the mozilla.dev.security.policy newsgroup drew attention to a series of questionable website authentication certificates issued by Symantec Corporation’s PKI. Symantec’s PKI business, which operates a series of Certificate Authorities under various brand names, including Thawte, VeriSign, Equifax, GeoTrust, and RapidSSL, had issued numerous certificates that did not comply with the industry-developed CA/Browser Forum Baseline Requirements. During the subsequent investigation, it was revealed that Symantec had entrusted several organizations with the ability to issue certificates without the appropriate or necessary oversight, and had been aware of security deficiencies at these organizations for some time.

I believe it uses Symantec and Chrome no longer trusts it. They revamped their security in late 2017 and are filtering out sites that do not subscribe to HTTPS rather than HTTP. Other ISP's are following suit now. The idea is to have secure encrypted sites on all computers for safer browsing. This is simply a matter of updating this website. Thanks in advance Todd or Mike.

mark treidel;n1140999 said:
I think I have figured out the issue with viewing the site using Chrome.
The certificate is invalid. Todd needs to renew it before the site is shown as secure.
I still get this message when I attempt to access the site..."When you go to a site that uses HTTPS (connection security), the website's server uses a certificate to prove the website's identity to browsers, like Chrome. Anyone can create a certificate claiming to be whatever website they want." To help you stay on safe on the web, Chrome requires websites to use certificates from trusted
organization."

I believe it uses Semantic and Chrome doesn't trust it anymore.

Agreed. I now need to use exceptions for this site in most browsers to access the forum.

The rotorcraft forum is missing some security updates that older browsers don’t catch. The latest versions of Firefox get flagged but earlier versions don’t.

Well,
I am still having the same problem and apparently, the admin considers it not significant enough to address, if they have addressed it at all.
I have asked for a follow up but have heard nothing to date except my initial contact with Mike. Since then,... nothing.
I know I'm not the only one....numerous others have contacted me saying the same thing. Guess it still continues to circle the bowl....
If you're not going to repair it....how about the courtesy of addressing it so we know what to expect. It won't correct itself!!

After hearing some distressing info about Google practices and processes 2 years ago, I haven't used Chrome since. Been using Opera for over a year now, and have found it solid. Yes, security is always an issue in the internet world, but really, browsers are the 2nd most hacked pieces of software on the planet, after email. So I don't get all concerned over port 80 programs. If you're really bothered, you'll have to go with a VPN anyway.

Also, Mark, certificates are the lowest order of authentication there is. They are the same as having no authentication at all. Modern internet communications models(like the OSI standard) include 5 or 6 isolated layers of programming. Certificates are at the top layer. Todays good programming practices usually run at the "network" and/or "transport" levels of authentication, 4 or so layers down from the top. Running your PC directly off your modem or cable connection means you have practically no security at all, unless your connection hardware includes a "firewall" of low-level software. You really need to have your PC connected via a local network router, which provides at least one more layer of protection down. Then begins the low-level of security, at the end of which is your PC, with perhaps another, higher-level of software "firewall". Yet, within your OS, there can be more bits of software protection. If you're using some form of MS Windows OS, You're mostly screwed yet again, because of its abysmal security, the details of which are scattered throughout the internet universe. It would be better to use Red Hat or some equally good quality Linux. So, Mark, once you have taken care of all those issues, maybe come back and complain some more.

Frank,
Sorry (or so it seems by your last sentence) that my complaint pisses you off...(Frankly Scarlett...) I am not a computer guru as you obviously fancy yourself. What I do know (that you presume a fault) is that my software and firewall programs are adequate and protected, with redundancies as well.
Perhaps not as you outline above, but nonetheless adequate. This is the only website that I get this message on ( and that is exactly what the protection software is designed to do...notify when something is amiss).
My 'beef' is the obvious lack of interest in its reported issue. More So in the fact that there has been no follow up with a simple courtesy reply as requested.
If this were a singular issue, I would understand. But when the #2 admin. says he experienced the same thing and would follow up with Todd...well, that's apparently
where things have gone South. As stated previously, others have contacted me as well to say they had the same warning.
Users should not have to defer to another browser just to view this site. Thanks for your input....just the same.

mark treidel;n1140215 said:
Mike, sent you a p/m. Still having the same issues. Site slow to respond, get the msg. that the site is not secure(also the note in the url). Haven't seen any fix yet.
Wondering if anyone else besides us has had this issue. Other members please feel free to add on to this so we know if the issue is widespread.
Windows 10 Pro...Google Chrome...

Mark, there is an expression used for people who keep doing the same thing, yet expect a different response. We've heard your complaint, ad nauseum, and wonder why you continue to use the same browser. Continued repetition of your complaint isn't productive. Its just whining. You asked for input from others on this issue, you've gotten it. Still, you'd rather bitch than try the simplest of solutions. I've given you options, and you refuse to try them; I've explained the digital realities of this situation, and you've continued to ignored them. So, I'm done with this thread; I hope you and your misery are very happy together.

Your connection is not secure

The owner of www.rotaryforum.com has configured their website improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this website.

Websites prove their identity via certificates, which are issued by certificate authorities. Most browsers no longer trust certificates issued by GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Symantec, Thawte, and VeriSign. www.rotaryforum.com uses a certificate from one of these authorities and so the website’s identity cannot be proven.

You may notify the website’s administrator about this problem.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

www.rotaryforum.com uses an invalid security certificate.

Certificates issued by GeoTrust, RapidSSL, Symantec, Thawte, and VeriSign are no longer considered safe because these certificate authorities failed to follow security practices in the past.

Error code: MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_ADDITIONAL_POLICY_CONSTRAINT_FA ILED

Took a chance on above advice and tried yet another browser; Foxfire, today and got the above message. Seems Google isn't the only one.
After all this falling on 'deaf ears', I will do exactly what he said above. I'm out of this thread now. If the Admin doesn't give a damn, why should I??
Bye Bye Forum.