Tango Gyro

Seehowetofly

Newbie
Joined
Jul 20, 2017
Messages
5
Location
Florence Oregon
Has anybody even flown or see a Tango2 gyro up close. I'm thinking about getting into gyros and the Tango is the only new design I can afford. Any help would be awesome.
 

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Joined
Nov 12, 2003
Messages
11,083
Location
central, ga
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Yes I have flown the tango 2 and the tango 1, they are great flying machines, right now there are a few flying at Cedartown Ga. Paul and Alex are great guys.
 

Rainman

Junior Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2017
Messages
119
Location
Boerne, TX
Aircraft
Mooney M20K, AutoGyro Calidus
The Yamaha engine has a good performance history on the off road four wheelers, and is waaaaaay cheaper than a Rotax.
 

Steve_UK

Active Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2010
Messages
3,599
Location
UK
Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
""The Yamaha engine has a good performance history on the off road four wheelers, and is waaaaaay cheaper than a Rotax.""

Yes a good design for bikes, cars and boats.

The Rotax is designed for aviation.
 

gyrojake

Gyro Rehab Candidate
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
2,202
Location
E-City, Florida
Aircraft
Gyroplanes
Total Flight Time
A few hours
Steve_UK;n1122804 said:
""The Yamaha engine has a good performance history on the off road four wheelers, and is waaaaaay cheaper than a Rotax.""

Yes a good design for bikes, cars and boats.

The Rotax is designed for aviation.
Very true Steve, but that does not mean an engine not designed for aviation is not a good choice.
Many automobile and recreational engines have been converted for aviation with great success .
There is no good argument in EXPERIMENTAL engines with a good reputation to be degraded by people with no real life experience.
I personally don't care about the rules in other countries, since we are talking about an American based project.
I think it is awesome that well minded people are finding alternative power plants for flying machines that match and even out perform aviation engines.
In my opinion the 912 and 914 are over rated V.W. engines nothing more and nothing less.
Some of the first experimental aircraft used motorcycle engines, the R/V used a Subaru car engine the original Bensen used an aircraft engine that was designed to run for 30 minutes, but they all turned out to be very successful engines in the right hands with the right modifications.
You seem to downplay anything that has not been approved by the European government, indoctrination leads to stagnation.
 

Steve_UK

Active Member
Joined
Oct 15, 2010
Messages
3,599
Location
UK
Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Hi Jake

Thanks for your comments.

My reply was very short, you've certainly read a lot into it.

Rainman tells us "..............and is waaaaaay cheaper than a Rotax."

There is a reason why it may be cheaper, I suspect the cost of designing and seeking regulatory approval from aviation authorities across the globe for an aviation engine is a huge investment.

That's it - or buy a car/bike/boat engine

""You seem to downplay anything that has not been approved by the European government, indoctrination leads to stagnation."" - you might want to ask yourself why European designed and built gyros have sold so well in the USA over the past few years - Today Oshkosh is full of aircraft vendors using Rotax engines in their aircraft.

Regards
 

gyrojake

Gyro Rehab Candidate
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
2,202
Location
E-City, Florida
Aircraft
Gyroplanes
Total Flight Time
A few hours
Steve_UK;n1122808 said:
Hi Jake

Thanks for your comments.

My reply was very short, you've certainly read a lot into it.

Rainman tells us "..............and is waaaaaay cheaper than a Rotax."

There is a reason why it may be cheaper, I suspect the cost of designing and seeking regulatory approval from aviation authorities across the globe for an aviation engine is a huge investment.

That's it - or buy a car/bike/boat engine

""You seem to downplay anything that has not been approved by the European government, indoctrination leads to stagnation."" - you might want to ask yourself why European designed and built gyros have sold so well in the USA over the past few years - Today Oshkosh is full of aircraft vendors using Rotax engines in their aircraft.

Regards
I am not a production gyro guy.
I am a scratch builder like most of the people who would rather use something less expensive and just as reliable.
So, I'm willing to say that the reason Euro Production gyros sell good is the fact that the owner would rather spend their money instead of investing time and trades.
The Euro gyros are actually very nice.
I love the Eclipse and would be happy with it's design.
Most Gyro pilots are not builders or designers .
The trades necessary to build a gyro from scratch surpass the ability of most, So a nice production gyro is very attractive to someone who wants a gyro.
Everything has a perspective .
 

Seehowetofly

Newbie
Joined
Jul 20, 2017
Messages
5
Location
Florence Oregon
Thanks for the input. I really didn't want to start a Forum Flame War, I just wanted to know how the Tango was to fly. As a PPCL and WSCL CFI just getting into Gyro's I don't need input on engines (although I think rotax's are wayyy overpriced and no more reliable) just on the Tango fit and finish, structural integrity, handling in the air and ground.
 

NetPilot

Tryin' to Re-Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2008
Messages
637
Location
Atlanta, GA
Aircraft
2016 Rotax 503 "Jake-inator" (i.e. Gyro Jake's 2016 creation)
Total Flight Time
225+
Hi Larry. Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry I am just seeing this... I have received dual instruction in a Tango and I can say it was very docile, manageable, and predictable on the ground and in the air. But it can be a nimble and exciting flyer as well ...as much as this type of gyro can be.

Fit and Finish is good, and structural integrity is extremely strong/solid. The 'look' of the welds, and other details, in the most recent models off the production line look great as well.

I need to 'archive' my PM box, but once I do, I will PM you with my contact info, and I can hook you up with several guys who have flown more extensively in the Tangos, aside from Scott above.

P.S. - There will be 2 or more Tangos on display at the Wrens Georgia Fly-in in middle September (see thread in Events section.) Aside from coming directly to Cedartown GA, that would be a great place to see and ride in them if you can make the trip.

Mark
 

jakalope

Newbie
Joined
Mar 6, 2017
Messages
23
Location
madison
NetPilot;n1123099 said:
Hi Larry. Welcome to the Forum!

Sorry I am just seeing this... I have received dual instruction in a Tango and I can say it was very docile, manageable, and predictable on the ground and in the air. But it can be a nimble and exciting flyer as well ...as much as this type of gyro can be.

Fit and Finish is good, and structural integrity is extremely strong/solid. The 'look' of the welds, and other details, in the most recent models off the production line look great as well.

I need to 'archive' my PM box, but once I do, I will PM you with my contact info, and I can hook you up with several guys who have flown more extensively in the Tangos, aside from Scott above.
I looked at them in Mentone IN. The ONLY thing holding me back from purchasing a Tango2 right now is the lack of people to speak with about their experence with them. They seem to be quite a machine for the money and Paul and Alex answered questions from me for two days. They were friendly and easy to talk to. I also saw a really nice demo flight (thank you Kurt!). From meeting them I get the impression that they would offer good support for the product. I would just feel better speaking with some others that have a little time in the Tango2 and the impression that they have of the aircraft.

Hopefully I'll be driving one soon!

John
 

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
426
Location
Fentress, Texas
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 116 Gyro, 15 GA
I plan to own a Tango 2 before Wrens 2018!
 
Last edited:

Seehowetofly

Newbie
Joined
Jul 20, 2017
Messages
5
Location
Florence Oregon
Thanks for the replies everybody. The only thing holding me back right now is finding out if I can get insurance to teach in one. Falcon insurance is looking into it right now, but any other avenues anybody knows about would be appreciated. Thanks again
Larry
 

bencadenbach

Junior Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2012
Messages
14
Location
Lubbock
Total Flight Time
2400
Seehowetofly;n1123214 said:
Thanks for the replies everybody. The only thing holding me back right now is finding out if I can get insurance to teach in one. Falcon insurance is looking into it right now, but any other avenues anybody knows about would be appreciated. Thanks again
Larry
Did you manage to get insurance to do instruction.
 

Dutch

Newbie
Joined
Aug 23, 2017
Messages
4
Location
Acton
After spending about 4 hours in a friends 2 place gyro, I'm hooked!, I am currently a CFI for both Fixed-wing and Weight-shift and have been considering purchasing a new gyro to eventually offer instruction in, after many hrs of experience of course. The price tag on the 914 machines may be a bit over my budget and I am told that the 912 may not be adequate for all training situations.

I have a friend with a Yamaha powered trike, he has used both the carb & FI versions. The engines have performed very well, but he has had some issues with the redrives, both belt and gear. He says,"The engine is great, it's all about the gearbox", he does not think anyone has enough time on them to predict their reliability. I would like to know more regarding the reliability of the Yamaha in the Tango and would like to know how the performance compares to the 912/914 powered machines.

Thank you,
Dutch
 

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
426
Location
Fentress, Texas
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 116 Gyro, 15 GA
Dutch;n1125411 said:
After spending about 4 hours in a friends 2 place gyro, I'm hooked!, I am currently a CFI for both Fixed-wing and Weight-shift and have been considering purchasing a new gyro to eventually offer instruction in, after many hrs of experience of course. The price tag on the 914 machines may be a bit over my budget and I am told that the 912 may not be adequate for all training situations.

I have a friend with a Yamaha powered trike, he has used both the carb & FI versions. The engines have performed very well, but he has had some issues with the redrives, both belt and gear. He says,"The engine is great, it's all about the gearbox", he does not think anyone has enough time on them to predict their reliability. I would like to know more regarding the reliability of the Yamaha in the Tango and would like to know how the performance compares to the 912/914 powered machines.

Thank you,
Dutch
I see the Tangos fly every weekend along with hangar mate Kurt Carlsen in his single place Air Command with the YG4 carb version. Kurt is getting over 651 lbs of thrust and 150 HP and he climbs at well over 1200 fpm with 28' blades using a Tango gear box and donut. The YG3 has more torque, but, less HP and it requires a clutch. I am buying a Tango 2 next year and have not decided on which engine, but, they definitely out perform Rotax and are now getting to be as reliable after more than a year of R & D in our club here in Georgia.
 
Last edited:

shootthrees

Tom Duncan
Joined
Apr 7, 2010
Messages
426
Location
Fentress, Texas
Aircraft
Tango 2
Total Flight Time
170 Ultralight FW, 116 Gyro, 15 GA
Since this video was shot, Kurt started using the Tangogyro 4 Blade prop for over 650 lbs of thrust.
 
Last edited:

Dutch

Newbie
Joined
Aug 23, 2017
Messages
4
Location
Acton
Thank you Tom, I really appreciate you feedback. It sounds like the Tango gyro is well made, I just hope the powerplant holds up in the long run. Getting Rotax 914 performance for a lot less is very appealing to me.
Does anyone know how much time has been put on the current Yamaha/ gear drive combo?

Thanks,
Dutch
 
Top