Tandem-rotor Gyroplane

Wisey01

Joe, your research regarding this setup looks promising, and after doing a quick google it looks like someone has put a patent on it?

Cheers
Matt

joe r nelson

Aircraft
SF 340 for Comair Inc.
Total Flight Time
12000 hrs
I understand that mate, Just wondering how it all worked out?

Cheers
At this time, I am stuck on finding a suitable gearbox for my model. Two types were used with one from a Honda motorcycle and one purchased from a local distributer. I haven't had much success in determining the "gear box drag" and it's effect on the autorotation of the blades. The blades won't spin-up in front of my floor fans when rotors are coupled to each other's gearbox. They spin-up OK when not coupled.

The problem that arises is that when the uncoupled rotors spin-up the airframe rolls left and falls over.

A copy of a tandem rotor gyro patent was found and it shows the front rotor on a higher pylon than the rear rotor. These changes were made on the model resulting in better spin-up but it looks like it is flying backwards. I assume that this because of the difference in airflow up though the blades.

All of this, the original problem remains. How to overcome the gearbox drag?

joe r nelson

Aircraft
SF 340 for Comair Inc.
Total Flight Time
12000 hrs
Does anyone know any data on the Lockheed rotor gyroscope system as used on the AH-56 Cheyenne?

joe r nelson

Aircraft
SF 340 for Comair Inc.
Total Flight Time
12000 hrs
I have decided to change the gear boxes for drive belts. I am hoping to reduce the "drag" generated through gear boxes in the coupling of the rotors.

The drive belts were use on several homebuilt helicopters. The system has been proven for use on tail rotors, hopefully, it'll work on coupling rotor on my models.

kolibri282

Last edited:

hillberg

Andre;

The negative;
I believe many have said that the early tandem helicopters, which were not equipped with Stability Augmentation Systems, were not the pinnacle of stability or controllability. Having read the patent, I suspect that his tandem gyrocopter will be no better and perhaps worse.

The positive:
By God or by Darwin ~ Your choice

Dave
bull shit. Tandems like to fly sideways , 200 kts been there - Fort Rucker test unit. Fritzy field - SAS not needed. only node weights.

hillberg

I have decided to change the gear boxes for drive belts. I am hoping to reduce the "drag" generated through gear boxes in the coupling of the rotors.

The drive belts were use on several homebuilt helicopters. The system has been proven for use on tail rotors, hopefully, it'll work on coupling rotor on my models.
cog belts with a twist ? will work