Takeoff?

joeheli

Aircraft
Bensen B8M with Mac 90
Hi every one: I just a litter confuse about the takeoff. ???
I am reading alote of book and I realy don't understand
something. I know that the full power is not applied at the
beginning of the gyroplane takeoff run, that the power is applied as fast as the rotor will accept the incoming airflow, now , something that I don't understand is:First on the takeoff , Do you pull back a litter the stick, or, let it in neutral?.
Second : As the rotor gain speed (100rpm), the stick has to be move a litter more or to full back position to increase more air speed ? ???. Third: When the nose wants to lift, I know that the stick should be moved forward enough to set the nose back down, but , do I just let it there all the time and increse more power to take off? and ,when you takeoff ,what is the next thing to do?

Re:Takeoff?

Hey Joe,
A few questions please:
1. Do you own a gyro?
2. Do you have a gyro instructor close by?
3. Have you had any training with an instructor yet?

Please answer these questions then I feel that we can be of more help to you.

Yes , I own a Bensen B8m,
Yes, I have a gyro instructor
No, I haven take any training with the instructor yet.

Joe,

That's good that you have an instructor. Please don't do as I did and try to read a book and train yourself. It's costly in repairs, both to the machine and the body. I am of the opinion that you should get with your instructor in his two place machine and get him to explain how to prerotate, when to move the stick back, why, etc...

Any of us could explain all that to you, but it is much more easily understood if you can have the instructor teach you. It's also much safer. Paying a good instructor is money well spent. Please believe me, for your own sake.

I just have a couple of question ??? and that is why I am
goint to take my lesson. I just need couple of ideas from you guys !!
But thank you anyway ...

Joe, when the rotor speed is at 100 RPM, depending on your blades, it is generally okay to pull the stick all the way back. When you have enough rotor RPM to lift the front wheel off the ground, then you maneuver the stick to keep the front and back wheels off the ground until liftoff.

Joeheli,

First, it is the policy of this board to always use your real name when posting.

To answer your question I'll describe the takeoff drill I've been taught to use with an AAI modified RAF.

1. Assuming that you are lined up on the runway, begin prerotation with the disc level -- the stick all the way forward. (In some situtations it may desirable to begin prerotating before lining up on the runway).

2. When rotor RPM reaches 80 RPM begin slowly moving the disc back so that the stick is level at 100RRPM and pulled all the way back at 120RRPM.

3. Once the disc is all the way back it is safe to add enough power to start the aircraft moving forward. (I usually try to prerotate to at least 150 before moving.)

4. Continue to add power slowly and disengage the prerotator at 180 RRPM.

5. Add more power. Once the rotor reaches 200 RRPM, add full power on a 3 count.

6. As the nose rises, add forward pressure on the cyclic. Continue to add forward pressure until you reach the desired air speed -- around 55mph dual in the modified RAF. The gyro will 'pop' off the ground.

7. It's necessary to add a little left stick when coming off the ground to counter the prop torque and a little right pedal as well. You also have a little forward pressure to keep the nose from coming up.

This is how I do it in the AAI modified RAF. Tese steps do not necessarily apply to any other gyro. Any mistakes are mine and not my instructor's.

Chuck and peter ,Thank you for your big help !!!

I already change it to my real name ...

Thank you again ;D

Jose,

You're more than welcome. Just know that no two machines are alike. There will be a lot of difference between an RAF and your machine. Just be sure to get enough training that your instructor releases you to perform each step.

[quote author=Jose Ortega link=board=6;threadid=566;start=0#msg5386 date=1078956784]
... and ,when you takeoff ,what is the next thing to do?

[/quote]

You fly the gyro...

Hopefully, you're with your instructor the first few times it happens!

Udi-

Jose,
One more note of caution: You do everything gently, add a little power, move the stick a small amount at a time. . . a little more throttle, a little more stick. . .
Oh, did I mention Training?
Be sure to get Training!!!

Jose,

Glad we could help. When will you start your training?

Just don't do as I did and let that thing get you off the ground before you're really ready for it to.

What blades do you have?

Keep us posted.

I start this saturday, I feel like a kid that there father
tell them that on Saturday they are goin to DISNEY!!.
I always love any aircraft that has rotor blade since I was
small . Now I am profeccional RC helicopter pilot and I want to be a Profeccional gyro pilot.

I am plannig to buy the" sportcopter" "rotorcopter" or something like that, my trainer toll me that are great rotor blades.

Jose, that sounds great. I am happy for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Jose, the procedures that others have described here appear to apply to the RAF and RAF derivatives. It's different for most other gyros.

The standard procedure is to hold the stick back against the stop as you begin your roll. Go as slowly as necessary to avoid excessive teetering (which which allow the blades to hit the teeter stops and cause a strong jerking movement in the stick). Keep the stick against the stop, gradually adding power until the nosewheel lifts. Then neutralize the stick (move it forward), holding it in a position that keeps the nose wheel just off the ground. Continue adding power and "balancing" the nose and tail wheel until you reach wide-open throttle and the gyro lifts off.

In heavier 2-place trainers (especially tandems), you will need to put the nosewheel all the way back down on the ground to finish your run and get off at the proper airspeed. "Balancing" in this case will allow a too-slow takeoff.

This is the procedure taught in the Bensen manual and applicable to most small gyros with adequate power.

Please do NOT try this until your instructor signs you off for solo!

Jose,

Doug's reply, above, and all the different answers you've gotten so far, is the main reason I first suggested that you get your instructor to teach you these maneuvers.

No one has told you to do anything incorrectly. It's like I said early on, there are no two machines that behave exactly alike. What's so neat about them though, is that once you learn to fly your machine well, you can fly most any of them.

Hello Doug Riley,

Do us a favor and go back to your profile page and show your age and place of residence. It is a requirement of the forum that you do this. Besides, we all would like to know more about you.

Thanks for all of your input thus far,

Chuck

I'm 48, live in Vermont. Joined PRA in 1969. Owned AEROTEC, Inc. (gyro kits and materials) for about 13 years, now teach dual powered gyro flying here (when it's a little warmer than it is right now). I wandered over to this site at the suggestion of some of the regulars, but I spend most of my time at Norm's site.

Doug,

Thanks for the update and the added info. It's really good to have people with your background and experience with us.

Thanks again