Tail Construction

ElJay

Hi. Would anybody have a bensen with an all metal tail? I could sure use the dimensions-shape and the size (weight) of the offset weight on the front part.
(the above description comes from viewing pictures from the manual ).

I have to replace the rotted off wooden rudder/tail fin as well as the H-Stabilizer.
I also need the same info on the H-Stabilizer.

I have thought about just making an exact copy as per bensen plans, except only to use aluminum sheet 1/8" thick instead of wood but that seems excesive. Surely also, there would likely be a weight difference, how concerned should I be about that?

Thanks
LJ

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
The aluminum plate is HEAVY! the wood is alot lighter, but there seems to be many options out there that are as good or better. Also look into a larger Horizontal stab.

gyromike

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Bensen B8MG
ElJay,

I have the Bensen aluminum tail on my machine.

It is made from 1/8" and 1/16" sheets riverted together.
The balance weight is made from 2 chunks of lead to mass balance the rudder. I don't have the dimensions handy.

If I had to build another, I wouldn't use this tail as it's kinda heavy. The Plywood tail is a lot lighter and would be easier for you to duplicate.

Even better would be for you to contact Ron Herron, and ask about his tube and fabric T-tail. It should be lighter than the aluminum tail, and has a generous horizontal stabilizer centered in the prop wash.

http://www.littlewingautogyro.com/tail.html

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Yes Brian, the Brock tail is aluminum, ribs with skin riveted over it. Much lighter than a SOLID aluminum plate.

John Stevens "Screw" has a fine example of a herron T-tail, very light and good looking, also exteremely stable, from the reports from other people who have flown it.

John likes to post pics of his tail.

Screw

Lubricating & Stimulating
Aircraft
Dominator 2 place/Cessnas & Pipers
Total Flight Time
300+
Screw-In

I wouldn't want to let yall down :D

Screw-Out

Attachments

• N34kb1s.JPG