Tail boom issues

ianboag

One of my tail booms cracked and almost broke. The other one had started to go. The gyro is a 15 year old Xenon with 400-odd hours. I suspect my habit of leaning on the tail and wheeling it around - nose wheel off the ground - was not helpful. I spoke to two of the three previous owners and they did it too. When you do that it is obvious that there is a lot of load on the bolt hole that cracked. And of course in 15 years there has no doubt been the odd hard landing ..... :-(

The story is all there at http://avmet.nz/nzfi/xenon_defect.pdf. Make of it what you will.

I have passed the link to Trendak and Celier. I bought two new booms from Trendak for about E600 including air freight to NZ. Fitting them was not all that hard.

IB

Last edited:

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
That's some scary shit right there! And you think that was from ground handling and not vibration?
I know your going to keep an eye on that, but not that you wont be handling it the same if you develop craks again be sure to let every know as well!
Thank you for finding those, I enjoyed my time in a Xenon what there was of it.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Yeah..... trying to pick up the front end by using the tail is not a good plan. Too much weight up there. Cavalons would have the same issue.

okikuma

Old habits carried over from pushing down on the horizontal stabilizer spar on Cessna C-150/152/172s to lift the nose wheel off the ground and then swing the airplane around.

Wayne

ianboag

There is one other Xenon in NZ - has done about 300 hours, one careful owner, never wheeled by pushing the tail down.

A borescope check has revealed a crack in the same place as mine. Rear upper bolt hole.

When my new booms arrived, there was a 300mm or so sleeve that fitted inside. I ignored it as there had been no such sleeve in my Xenon (or the other one). It is a reinforcer to be placed roughly where the attachment bolts are. There was no documentation with the booms, so I didn't think as hard as I should have. The boom also has a 12mm wide slot so the top of the rear bolt so the bolt does not touch the actual boom.

So I assume that at some time in the past, there were cracks found in Xenon booms and the reinforcing sleeve is a fix that presumably is now standard. Our 15 year old ones did not have it .....