TAG gyro locates downed pilot hidden by trees.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Last Friday I flew my gyro down to Riverside KRVS (D towered airport) @ Jenks on the SW side of Tulsa!
Lovely 1.8 hour cross-country flight with 15kt tailwind. I was hosted by our newest gyro CFI Carl Potter and his wife Deb for the week-end. Carl runs a FW flight school out of KRVS.
Mark Airey drove up from Justin TX in his motorhome ..with his TAG in a trailer ...and I brought our TAGNA rotor balancing gear down to tune his rotor!

On Saturday morning Carl in his yellow 912 TAG and I in my 914 red TAG ...with passengers Walter & Mark A. ... flew over to Haskell (2K9) on the S side of Tulsa ...for the first donuts & coffee breakfast social for local pilots ...since Covid lockdown!
It was a superb early morning flight in clear air with a surprising headwind at 2500'MSL ...as we made contact with Haskell CTAF ... we learned of an ULaircraft pilot who had taken off from the airfield and gone down somewhere N of the airport. As there was a plume of smoke visible to people at the airport on the ground ... they requested any arriving aircraft (us) to go over to check it out ..... the smoke proved to be a brush-pile burn across the river. As we flew in to land on 17 at the airport ... the injured pilot who had made phone-contact with friend at the airport told him we flew right overhead his position ... he said he would not be visible as he was hidden under tree canopy!
Carl & Walter who knew the area, took-off again to do an aerial search ... using the pilots phone connection with a handheld radio communicating with the search gyro via his friend at the airport.... the gyro flying above was able to pinpoint the location by triangulation. Then look for roads & tracks to access the adjacent field for the ground EMS units. Next he communicated by radio to the airport groundman who had another friend phone directions to the ground-rescue assets. By flying low and getting the attention of EMS the gyro was able to indicate which roads and direction to take to reach the injured pilot!

On last nights Tulsa news ..... the following interview was aired of the gyro's role in search, locate and direct ground rescue assets to the hidden crash site.

This is the initial news link from Saturday ..... https://www.newson6.com/story/5eb6db28af61940bec0de957/ohp-troopers-respond-to-ultralight-aircraft-crash-near-haskell?fbclid=IwAR1Yy9Fwiu0NzFFgqg4M6k3ggKQyd1bKzxg9KYn8De8Uccrzj9Y634x6owc

We are happy that the injured pilot was found and evacuated within an hour of his crash ...and the gyro's flight capability demonstrated what a good aerial asset the gyro can be in these search & locate situations!

I sent Carl some air-to air in-flight photos I had taken flying to & from Haskell ... and he sent them to the reporter ...who used a couple of my pictures in the news segment!

Last edited:

Illini85

Wonderful and what a happy ending. Its hard to imagine that plane would have been so difficult to see. This story might have had a different ending had you all not been there.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Great news Christine, gyros need all the good press they can get.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Good press. Ill be curious what happened with the plane, looks like it got messed up pretty bad

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Folks at the airport .... reported the engine sounded "rough"( which was more like "different"!) ...as I later learned that it had been modified at our local Rotax mechanic who does a lot of Edge Rotax conversions and mods ... he was very concerned about an engine failure ... but the pilot spoke to him & said the engine was fine and reported a sudden fluttering of the elevator and rapid inversion & roll over into the trees! ...May well have been a control surface failure!

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
What a great adventure and life!!!

Thanks for sharing!

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Now THIS is what belongs in a RF <NEWS> thread!

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
There used to be a McCulloch J2 based out of Riverside airport. I was in Tulsa visiting the Spartan A&P school and saw the J 2 doing takeoffs and landings there. It was the late 80's or early 90's, but it would be fun to try to track it down.

giro5

Aircraft
prev- citabria,AA1b, fun racer
Total Flight Time
400 GA, 50 trike
Now this is gyro news. good bye to the pissing contest in "president Trump"