Suzuki

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member
Re:Suzuki

I was looking for a motor for my trainer that will be light and have the HP needed to fly two fat bodies likes us. found Bilsam aviation in Poland that convert this engine. They say it will be 100 HP and under 175 pounds ready to fly. I am ordering one to see if it can do the job. With this motor I can move the Batt and keep it in CG. I am working a deal to have a gear box made for gyros. Just another shoot in the dark.
Brent

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.

Thats what I reckon Ron. At the moment my friend Chum has the late model ej-20 with a Hirth gearbox, and I am running an ej-22 with the same Hirth gearbox. In the next couple of days we will perform a full power engine rpm check tied to something. We will use the same prop for each of the tests.

That way I will have some idea of the difference in the HP of the 2 engines. The ej-22 is supposed to be 130HP, and the ej-20 is supposed to be 120 HP. The ej-20 is available as a new engine. the ej-22 is no longer manufactured.

Chum was flying this morning as I was training so I took some pics. One is attached.

Aussie Paul.

Attachments

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member

Nothing Ron if you want a N number but this is for a UL trainer. I said it is 100 HP UNDER 175 pounds. the ej22 in direct drive is more than that.
Brent

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT

Don't know why you would bother. Ultralight trainers are going to be a thing of the past real shortly. Then it will be a light sport aircraft trainer and the weight limit will be higher and could use a EJ-22.

Brent_Brown

Platinum Member

Ron; A UL trainer will have 3 years before the trainer has to be a Sporty. After that you will not be able to train with anything that was not certified as a sporty. Right now what company will that be? none that I know of. You see I have a trainer that has to stay within the law today not if or when the sport thing happens. When are you flying down to log the hours for your FW rating? I will be flying at the Maxton Airport about every day if it is not raining.

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
ALOT

You flying tomorrow? If so call me ASAP to give me details. I am off tomorrow and plan to go burn some gas in the old piper! I will need to know ASAP to get a sign off for a cross country and My instructor is leaving in the morning so let me know now and I can get up with him. 803-396-8129

G

[quote author=Aussie Paul link=board=25;threadid=222;start=0#msg2113 date=1071455045]
Thats what I reckon Ron. At the moment my friend Chum has the late model ej-20 with a Hirth gearbox, and I am running an ej-22 with the same Hirth gearbox. In the next couple of days we will perform a full power engine rpm check tied to something. We will use the same prop for each of the tests.

That way I will have some idea of the difference in the HP of the 2 engines. The ej-22 is supposed to be 130HP, and the ej-20 is supposed to be 120 HP. The ej-20 is available as a new engine. the ej-22 is no longer manufactured.

Paul,

could you do an RPM vs thrust graph for the gyro and paost it please.

the thrust line geometry of the pictured gyro looks scary...

Regards,

Nicholas Tomlin.

Chum was flying this morning as I was training so I took some pics. One is attached.

Aussie Paul.
[/quote]

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.

Nicholas, you said "the thrust line geometry of the pictured gyro looks scary..." Why would you say that?

I never do thrust tests these days. Static thrust is only a basic guidline. You can have a prop with more static thrust than another and it will not perform as well in the flight regime.

Aussie Paul.

G

[quote author=Aussie Paul link=board=25;threadid=222;start=0#msg2148 date=1071576943]
Nicholas, you said "the thrust line geometry of the pictured gyro looks scary..." Why would you say that?

Paul,

No doubt you will have a flaming good answer, but, from all appearances the thrust line of the prop appears to go through the pilots shoulders or above, there is a large pod which provides drag, I don´t know where the COM is relative to the thrust line as the engine is above the thrust line, but I´d hazard a guess that the COM is below the thrust line, as is the drag centre with the rotor unloaded, it looks scary, like bunting over material...

I never do thrust tests these days. Static thrust is only a basic guidline. You can have a prop with more static thrust than another and it will not perform as well in the flight regime.

How does this occur? Would it mean the prop that gives more static thrust is underpitched for flight, because the prop is moving through the air and the thrustline vector is greater - ie, in flight it has less bite than at static condition?

Aussie Paul.
[/quote]

Regards,

Nicholas Tomlin.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro

Ron ,we dislike your parachuters face! Please change it! Hey, someone messed with the pic of Chum flying his gyro! Chris & Shar

Attachments

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
ALOT

whats wrong with my guy? the bugs in his teeth?

I don't know who - Hammer time? - doctored Chum, but it is kinda funny

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time

Well, I am a little upset???

Someone said, "The thrust line appears to go.............."

Appears is not good enough!!!!! you have to know. I know where the thrust line passes in relation to the VCoG, and the stability of Chums machine with the "upside down rotor blade section" h/stab is extremely good.

Surely people don't think that, with all my ranting and raving about pitch stability, that I would post a pic of an unstable machine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember, there are very few people who have actually measured the VCoG of one machine, let alone a number of them.

Also remember that the weight of a 120 hp 4 stroke is a large percentage of the gross weight of a single seater. Look where that engine weight is, up high.

It is a tasteless joke, OR AM I BEING OVERLY SENSITVE.

Please let me know.

Aussie Paul

Al_Hammer

Platinum Member
Aircraft
none currently
Total Flight Time
80 gyro; 65 helicopter(R22)

What's the matter, Paul, not in a laughing mood today?

You are no, doubt correct about the thrust line, so my apologies for the tasteless joke.

edit: I changed Chum back to the way he was. ;D

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time

Great one Al. I envy your "hacker" talents. I would love to be able to do something with a pc that my son can't!!!!!

No hard feelings from me, I love your involvement on the forums, and yes apology accepted. Can you please change it back?

It was a low joke BUT a good one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers for now. Aussie Paul.

Al_Hammer

Platinum Member
Aircraft
none currently
Total Flight Time
80 gyro; 65 helicopter(R22)

Paul, I take it all back, your sense of humor is evidently intact.
Thanks for the comments.

Cheers :)

Al

Attachments

Last edited: