Subaru monitoring

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Hmmm, no responces on the starter..... how about this?  Does anyone monitor EGT's & CHT's on their Subs & how? I'd like a little more info than just oil pressure & coolant temp & system voltage when I'm flying.<br><br> Or we could just talk about Crazy Ivan! :-/

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
Re: Subaru monitoring

Water cooled engine means CHT is useless.<br><br>No way to control mixture means EGT is about useless. So what else do you want to monitor?

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours

Are you sure about that Ron?  It doesn't seem that CHT would be useless on a water cooled engine.  Please explain.<br><br>p.s. Chris, sorry to change the subject.  How about some more flight reports?<br>

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
ALOT

What is a CHT on a water cooled set of heads going to tell you? On the Rotax engines it can help you by letting you know the engine is up to temp - along with the water temp. but on a bigger engine like a Sub I just see no good reason to have one.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro

Ron I think I agree!  Thank God, Now I won't have to buy more stuff!  Todd, more reports coming!

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
ALOT

If you got to have more wiz bang dials to stare at a good one to have is a fuel pressure indicator. The engine won't run long if the fuel pump quits.

simpkinsxx

Aircraft
Cessna 150- Ver-Eze
Total Flight Time
5000 +

I don't run a suby but I would consider a pressure ga on the cooling system for two reasons. 1. overheating and sudden loss of coolant. Ray

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.

Ray, I run an idiot light for my water pressure. If I blow a hose or lose water pressure for any reason the light on the dash turns on. At least this give you more time to get organised and land before I wreck the engine.<br><br>I find that while I am training it is difficult to always keep an eye on the water temp gauge, and by the time the gauge starts to move it is usually too late.<br><br>I am considering in Firebird to have one big idiot light to cover water temp, water pressure, oil pressure etc. Then there would be a switch to find the offending area. I think that water pressure would be the best default setting.<br><br>Aussie Paul.

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.
Re:Subaru monitoring

Eric I started by using an oil idiot light sensor. This proved it to work but would rust out eventually. When I turn on the key the light comes on if the engine has cooled a little and then goes out as the pressure builds, usually during taxi to the runway.

I now buy an adjustable pressure switch from an industrial supply place.

Aussie Paul.

G

Re:Subaru monitoring

So Paul,

That warm fuzzy feeling you get when flying is the radiator overflow coursing down your legs...

Regards,

Nick.