Subaru ignition

teiland

I would appreciate hearing from any of you guys as to your experience with different ignition systems on Subaru’s. I started out with the old battery ignition system with a distributor, and really never had any problems. I later switched to a dual system where I run an RAF electronic system and also a Jeff Rose Electroair electronic system. I run both systems at all times. The outputs from the two coils feed through a diode box with one plug wire coming out to the spark plug. I have had one failure on the Electroair, and now a failure on the RAF. Other than oil leaking past the seal on the distributor, has anyone had trouble with that old system? Any advise?<br>Terry Eiland<br>

mceagle

Gold Member
Aircraft
Eagle Rotorcraft
Total Flight Time
600 hrs
Re: Subaru ignition

Terry,<br>The points distributor system on the EA81 did work fine as long as it was in good nick. A small smear of high temp grease on the lobes and regular check of point adjustment and timing should mean years of trouble free service.<br>Incidently, oil leaking from the distributor is usually a result of high crankcase pressure caused by excessive blowby. The top distributor bush is lubricated by crankcase fumes, and if they are excessive, oil will weep from the bleed hole at the bottom of the distributor.<br><br>Your last ignition system sounds interesting. I wonder though at the value of running a dual system that feeds into one spark plug. Also, some electronics nut might be able to tell me, -  what type of diodes would have been used that can handle 25kv ?

Udi

Platinum Member

Why are'nt you using the original Subaru electronic ignition?  My car's EJ-25 has 120,000 miles without so much as a hickup.<br><br>Udi-

teiland

I failed to mention that this is an EJ 22, if that matters. It started life as a stock RAF setup. RAF took the electronic FI and ignition off and replaced with Holley carb and the distributor ignition. Although the distributor is fitted into the end of the camshaft and sits horizontally, I never had a problem with oil leaks, tho I know many others did........................the distributor that came with mine had the electronic module and no points. I am particularly interested in what experience others have had with this type distributor and system............Our new SparrowHawks will have the Subaru factory FI and ignition. I am looking forward to using this system.