Subaru 2.2 & Subaru 2.5 question

GyroChuck

Gyro's are more fun
Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem Gyro, Robinson R-22, Mosquito XE-285, Assorted Fixed Wing
Total Flight Time
I am considering replacing my Subaru 2.2 engine with the Subaru 2.5 engine.

Are the engine mounting points the same on both of them. Or will I have to make new engine mounts.

Also will the reduction drive on the 2.2 fit the 2.5

Are the engine mounting points the same on both of them. Or will I have to make new engine mounts.

Yes and yes.

Chuck,

I am in the beginning stages of doing the exact same thing with a used gyro I purchased. I spoke with an expert Subaru repair shop owner yesterday who told me the engines are the same externally for mounting points and gearbox/reduction drives.

IF ANYONE HAS A RUNNING 2.5 SUBARU THEY WOULD LIKE TO SELL I'M VERY MOTIVATED.

Also, I have a non-running 2.5 that came with my gyro. If anyone has a recommendation for a shop or "a guy" that does quality rebuilds I'd be grateful for a recommendation.

Eric

Is there any good information on building the EJ 2.2 AND 2.5 engines for aircraft use. Also, looking for any information on Subaru engines in
general.

yes , the ej 25 bolts well,. but the cylinder heads of 2.5l ej are very very heavy compared to 2.2l ej engine, very tricky that............is your 2.5 cylinder heads i dentical with the 2.2 ?

Yes and yes.

Chuck,

I am in the beginning stages of doing the exact same thing with a used gyro I purchased. I spoke with an expert Subaru repair shop owner yesterday who told me the engines are the same externally for mounting points and gearbox/reduction drives.

Also, I have a non-running 2.5 that came with my gyro. If anyone has a recommendation for a shop or "a guy" that does quality rebuilds I'd be grateful for a recommendation.

Eric
Jonathan Weis in Oriental, NC is a wizard with Subaru and he owns his own Auto shop. He is on the PRA Facebook page, he is also a gyro pilot.

Thanks for all the replies. I decided to keep the Subaru EJ 2.2 and either have it rebuilt or get a rebuilt crate EJ 2.2 to replace it.

Yes and yes.

Chuck,

Eric
Is there any good information on building the EJ 2.2 AND 2.5 engines for aircraft use. Also, looking for any information on Subaru engines in
general.

general.
I'm in the same situation as you. Trying to find how to convert the wiring harness for the ECU.

I spoke with Don Parham who used to convert Subaru engines for aircraft use. He does recommend the 2.5 over the 2.2.

The problem with the 2.5 is redoing the wiring harness to work as an aircraft engine. Don said after 2005 the wiring harness was changed for the 2.5 Making it extremely hard to convert the harness. Don said he converted 2-2005 harnesses and said he will not do another one.

For the 2.5 you want a wiring harness 2005 or earlier. For the 2.2 there were 2 different harnesses. There were also different ECUs for a manual transmission and automatic transmission.

After speaking with Don I will probably stick with a crate long block 2.2 to replace my current 2.2 rather than having it rebuilt. I will have the cam grind done which will give me the same HP as a 2.5. Since I don't know how to do the wiring harness. I will stick with the carburetor and distributor.

I do not think a 2.5 can use a carburetor and distributor.

For those who know Don. He has been retired for over 10 years and no longer does Subaru conversions. He is dealing with several health issues but he is still hanging in there at 83 years young.

The problem with the 2.5 is redoing the wiring harness to work as an aircraft engine.
Chuck,

The SDS fuel injection/ECU is built for aviation use. I used the SDS system on my 2.5 with 2.2 heads. Reasonable price, relatively easy install, excellent support and it gets rid of the oxygen sensor so I can run avgas when necessary. You don't have to be a tuning expert to use it. I highly recommend it.

Eric

Unfortunately that is a more than I'm willing to pay. For now since I have the Carburetor, Distributor and ignition coil from the current engine. I will stick with them for now. But I did bookmark the link incase I want to upgrade in the future.