Streamlining my swashplate area- possibly?

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
It looks very nice Stan!

It looks very nice Stan!

You are a remarkable fellow.

Thank you, Vance

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Very slick Stan!

Very slick Stan!

A helicycle with a "hoodie" ...... your mind never stops - even in your sleep you are probably tweaking & improving!
Good-on-ya mate! :yo:

Counting down the days to Mentone!!! :party:

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
That looks gorgeous. WOW nice paint job too. :) Ok I'll have you cover my Rotax for the Behemoth :)

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Geesshhh everyone.........Thanks! I am ecstatic once agsainz, and stage 3 streamlining has been given the green light. I will start a new thread tomorrow with my plans. Its kind of obvious what I am going to do. I am going to put one more panel that will carry the middle diverging white belt from my landing gear fairings up to the burgundy on my new swashplate fairing. I am looking at it and it is just crying out to me........finish it! This baby is only half delivered! This will complete the aesthetics, and in my opinion will reduce some parasite drag. I have always been told that the more aerodynamic something is, the faster it looks like its going sitting still. I swear it looks like its going 100 mph sitting in my hanger. Thanks again for all the kind comments. Stan

Last edited:

RotoPlane

Gold Supporter
Even though the aft end of that fairing is open, it is bound to straighten the airflow after leaving the cabin, so I will be surprised if it doesn't contribute to an increased airspeed. I wouldn't care if it didn't because that fairing adds value to the beautification of this machine. Great project Stan!

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Thanks for the nice comment Ed! Dont forget to kick me in the shins at Mentone! Stan

Alan_Cheatham

Very nice work Stan as usual but I am critical of your decision to drill rivet holes in such major structural tubes, you must always be cautious of cracking in this area from now on.

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 0

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Hi Buddy!!!

That looks so professional!!!

Cannot wait to see the finished version. Maybe you will break 300 kts?

hillberg

Seal the pop rivits/flanges so water dosen't enter the tubes.( better to tack a flange to the steel tubes with a harbor freight tac welder)

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Alan- You are correct! I feel its ok , but hindsight I would have clamped it. I goof up occasionally. Stan

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ken- I definitely want to make the sides and the belly fairings. I am savoring the thoughts till I get a few other tasks done. I dont dare order the aluminum yet as I could not stand seeing it not getting worked on. Preferably would like to do it in october/November.....

Stan

kstorm32

Aircraft
enstrom F-28
Total Flight Time
Stan
I have somethings i have been working on for the helicycle that i want to show you. I would like to post them here?

Ken-

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ken- I am looking forward to my phase 3 streamling very much...but I have to have my full attention dedicated to a freestanding curved stairway that will be my 2nd most challenging stairway of my life. I dont have enough brain real estate to multi-task anything else for a few weeks building this in my shop.

I still want to thank you for pursuading me to go further with my streamlining. Every flight I can feel the drag reduction from my landing gear and swashplate fairings as extra horsepower for not only increasing my top end, but giving the extra push while accelerating to higher speeds. Seriously, I can feel it is more slippier. My fuel burn going both to and from Mentone was measurably less. My logbooks have notations on my long cross country flights showing the fuel burn.

The side panels cleaning up the fuel tanks, and then where Vance is suggesting..a panel on the belly area cleaning up some drag there.......these extra panels should reduce the drag further, increase acceleration and top end....and less fuel burn at all my flying speeds.

Once I get my free spare time back...I will order the aluminum and go for all 3 panels.

Stan