Storage

Spank

I am looking at buying a gyro but the airport doesn't allow sharing hangers and it isn't like there are guys wanting to allow me to slide in next to them. The airport wants $250/month for one and there is a long waiting list. If I can find a portable trailer that is 30ft x 10 high I am allowed to park it on the ramp for like $75/month as long as they can move it should they need to. I don't want to fold the mast every time I fly so I'm wondering if they even make a trailer that size? I found Trixy aviation makes an enclosed one but it is close to $16,500. Have any of you found a more affordable solution for storing your gyrocopter at the airport short of a full or shared hanger?

No Title

I bought my trailer in Texas from cargocraft.com for the same reasons you have in mind and to use moving my furniture during PCS moves with the Army. It has a steel frame and I now wish I had spent a bit more on an aluminum trailer from another manufacturer. I have not been able to get an airport in Georgia to let me park it on the ramp etc. and use it like you describe, but, it is nice to use for attending fly-ins like Bensen Days, Barry Dayz and Wrens. There are some regular hitch (not goose neck or fifth wheel) trailers out there you can find made of aluminum that can suit your needs.

Attachments

• photo128290.jpg
    photo128290.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 0
Depending on the type of hanger that is available, the end of a nestled tee hanger will have some left over corner and it will sometimes boxed in and used for storage,

If thet is available and large enough you strike a deal to add a roll up door and use that area for hangering the gyro.

Why not use a smaller enclosed trailer for the gyro and cut a slot in the top for the mast and have the blades on top

with slip on covers for the blades and rotor head. I own my hanger and rent the land its on for $100.00 a year

from the city, tie downs on the ramp are free. The city was thinking about raising the rent and we had a hissy fit and they

backed off.

In Oregon (Florence anyway) you have to buy a hangar and lease the land. My hangar cost me 25K and then I still have a $30 a month land lease and about $35 a month power plus about $450 a year property tax. Flying is not cheap.

You might need to come north to the NutTree Airport or come a little farther north to Yolo County or Watts Woodland to share a hangar at Gyro friendly airports.