Still climbing and turnin

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
At 67 I still get goosebumps building curved or spiral stairways. It is not work at all to me. I am retired , dont need to do a thing, but here I am doing what I have loved to do for over 30 years. I will miss not building these, but someday I of course will have to.

My shop has three stairways I am building for a guy on the Shark Tank show. It has tempered glass risers and LED lighting glowing down through the 1/2" glass. Pictures in a couple of months.

Brent Smith

Historically, artists never seem to stop making art. Your stairs are art, Stan. If you stop, you die. So, why not live forever.... :)

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I normally make my own column...but my clients said that was too domesticated...they want rustic.. .So we compromised and I used a dead hickory tree in my woods, but made the treads and tread supports in my typical fashion. However, they are wanting that hacked up also.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Hi Stan.

You've crossed my mind a few times the past couple of years and wondered how you've been. Always loved admiring your work, and have a newfound appreciation for it. Just completed a construction project designing a penthouse in Manhattan that included a huge marble spiral staircase. Could have used your help! :)

Glad you're doing well and posting here.

Cheers,
Brian

Martin W.

I normally make my own column...but my clients said that was too domesticated...they want rustic.. .So we compromised and I used a dead hickory tree in my woods, but made the treads and tread supports in my typical fashion. However, they are wanting that hacked up also.
If you have access to an industrial sandblaster it is a way to make smooth wood rustic ... the sand slightly erodes the softer grains of the wood and can be very artistic as well as rustic .... cover the ends that fit in the post where I presume you want a tight fit (glue) ..... or blast the whole stairway once it is assembled. May even make the main post nicer than you planned .

Martin W.

Couple of examples of sandblasted and varnished wood .... briar pipes and log cabin interior logs etc.

Attachments

• sandblasted briar wood.JPG
    sandblasted briar wood.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 9
  • logs sandblasted and varnished.JPG
    logs sandblasted and varnished.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 9
  • briar sandblasted.JPG
    briar sandblasted.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 9

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Martin.....Those are nice examples of sandblasted wood that I will store in my memory bank...thank you. On this stairway , my clients version of "rustic" is surface splits, no glue lines, just a solid actual tree trunk.....with my "domesticated" treads to be a nice contrast.

It is really in a rough state right now....but I am going to massage it to what they want.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 380 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes
Stan: keep making those works of art my friend. They are awesome

DavePA11

People who want to hack up wood have no woodworking experience. Baffles me why people want that unnatural hacked up look.