Stick shake

This s really great of you to help Mike! I’m sure our gyro community appreciates all you have done. I have learned a lot from everyone on this forum and enjoy reading the posts.

Unfortunately censorship is becoming the norm now if someone doesn’t like your viewpoint then cancel them from the social media site… Their loss in the end.

Fara
thanks, it's good to have a user come on with experience that confirms what I've said in some of my posts. Otherwise I get the impression I'm a lonely voice in the wilderness.

Dave
This might surprise you but I don't actually make any money at this, I don't even come close to breaking even. I'm retired with a reasonable pension and my aim is to make friends, meet and if possible help fellow gyro pilots. I'm doing fewer rotors in France since I've been kicked out of the French autogyro forum for disagreeing with one of the movers and shakers but this rotor was at a base near me and the guys there have become friends over time so I was happy to help.
Mike G

You are not the lonely voice but I am concerned mainly with AR-1 owners only in general.
I need to try and do a prop balancing on this gyro because I think I feel some vibrations from the prop than the rotor. I have actually never done the prop balance using PB-4 before. I'll have to read up on it. Usually I have seen prop balance done using a spinner and I do not have a spinner to work with so have to come up with something clever.

Why would you get banned for disagreeing on a gyro related technical topic (guessing).

Last edited:
You are not the lonely voice but I am concerned mainly with AR-1 owners only in general.
I need to try and do a prop balancing on this gyro because I think I feel some vibrations from the prop than the rotor. I have actually never done the prop balance using PB-4 before. I'll have to read up on it. Usually I have seen prop balance done using a spinner and I do not have a spinner to work with so have to come up with something clever.

Why would you get banned for disagreeing on a gyro related technical topic (guessing).
Fara what is the spinner you refer too? I think I know but am unsure ?

Greg

Fara
First of all check the spectrum to see if you're getting vibration coming from the prop. Be careful because the prop rpm on the Rotax is very close to the 6th harmonic/multiple of the rotor you may have to reduce engine revs to separate the two.

I often struggle with prop balancing especially with pusher gyros. I recently ended up tying the tail of a gyro down to a block of concrete to stop it from interfering with the balancing.
ELA tail tie down resized.jpg

I also finished by checking the prop balance/vibration in flight which was different to that on the ground.
If you don't have a spinner (prop cone with lots of screws you can use for balancing) you're left with washers on the prop bolts which I really don't like because you're constantly loosening and tightening those bolts. If you have a pre rotator pulley that is hollow on the inside you can stick the lead weights used for balancing car wheels. That's what I do on the ELA.
Make sure you have the latest version of the firmware (.fw) and user interface (UI) from Smart Avionics they added what they call the "spider" for prop balancing which gives you a visual picture of where the "weight sites" are. Chris Buchanan uses the PB4 for props and says it's really helpful, talk to him.
Mike

Last edited:
Fara, Dave & sv.grainne
I was banned more because of a philosophical disagreement. The french forum expects you to give any information you have in the "spirit of ultralight flyer's". I offered to train a guy how to use a PB3 but the forum felt I should explain free of charge. That got me a "warning" from the forum owner.
Then my colleague Jérôme (who is obsessed with 2/rev) flew his Averso rotored Eclipse to my base and I helped him with a number of tests he wanted to do looking at the in-plane natural frequencies and inertias of his Averso and my Gyro Tech rotor and he also flew my rotor on his Eclipse. I made a post about it on the French forum saying that Jerome would probably follow up with a report. One of the most active and viscous members accused me of "teasing" and said that since I was there I should give the forum the results. I reminded him that when he "teased" the forum saying that he had the official Magni balance procedure he refused to send me a copy because it was "confidential" and that I considered Jerome's test results confidential. The moderator shut down the thread and I was ejected from the forum. Interestingly enough Jerome couldn't give them the details because he'd already been banned for not contributing enough.
Later on Jean Claude posted about the GWS and the forum movers and shakers (mainly the forum owner) shouted him down saying it was of no use and not necessary etc etc. JC was so fed up with them that he left the forum. That the forum users lost access to Jerome and me isn't a big deal but to loose JC was shear folly.
Mike

Enlightening to see that regardless of the nationality or language, we are all humans, so there will always be the loud-mouths who stir things up to a boil w/ their opinions, the owner-types who assert their authority onto the rest, the contributors who help others w/ their thoughts, & the silent majority who see & hear all of those comments & either continue on, quietly or leave that subject in their past.

Fara, Dave & sv.grainne
I was banned more because of a philosophical disagreement. The french forum expects you to give any information you have in the "spirit of ultralight flyer's". I offered to train a guy how to use a PB3 but the forum felt I should explain free of charge. That got me a "warning" from the forum owner.
Then my colleague Jérôme (who is obsessed with 2/rev) flew his Averso rotored Eclipse to my base and I helped him with a number of tests he wanted to do looking at the in-plane natural frequencies and inertias of his Averso and my Gyro Tech rotor and he also flew my rotor on his Eclipse. I made a post about it on the French forum saying that Jerome would probably follow up with a report. One of the most active and viscous members accused me of "teasing" and said that since I was there I should give the forum the results. I reminded him that when he "teased" the forum saying that he had the official Magni balance procedure he refused to send me a copy because it was "confidential" and that I considered Jerome's test results confidential. The moderator shut down the thread and I was ejected from the forum. Interestingly enough Jerome couldn't give them the details because he'd already been banned for not contributing enough.
Later on Jean Claude posted about the GWS and the forum movers and shakers (mainly the forum owner) shouted him down saying it was of no use and not necessary etc etc. JC was so fed up with them that he left the forum. That the forum users lost access to Jerome and me isn't a big deal but to loose JC was shear folly.
Mike

Ha
That is pretty silly.
do you have the GyroTech rotors from when Marek was there or post Marek?
Losing any of you from the forum for just foolish and petty reasons is all folly.
Is there only one French forum? I wish I knew French

Last edited:
Kevin
Well put, the disappointing thing was the silent majority who didn't stand up to the forum owner and tell him to shut up & apologise to Jean Claude. It's his forum he can moderate it as he wishes I don't have a problem with that, in fact some here would perhaps prefer a more interventional moderator like him.

Fara
It's a post Marek rotor, I helped them resolve a problem by testing a rogue rotor on my gyro and they let me keep it once I'd worked out what was happening and recommended a fix. It's 8.7 m and too large for my ELA (300 Rrpm solo) but I plan to use it for the hi speed flapping tests. Jérôme said that subjectively after a very short flight with it on his Eclipse he felt it was "more comfortable" than the Averso but we realised the pitches were different so we couldn't do a real side by side testing. One day perhaps.

Mike

Last edited: