Stick Shake (Or Lack Thereof)

Barry M14

Aircraft
Apollo AG1
Total Flight Time
1,000 +
I wanted to post this because a lot of my friends who fly trikes think that gyros are no good, because the stick shake is too obtrusive, and you can't take your hands off the stick for a second and still stay on course.
Obviously, that isn't always true...

https://youtu.be/oL6O5PcNAqA

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Lack of stick shake is great,but I noticed a little cabin shake,is there also a vibration in the rudder pedals,

I see your leg vibrating or is the video just making it look worse than it really is.

Barry M14

Aircraft
Apollo AG1
Total Flight Time
1,000 +
Hi Eddie.
There is a little cabin shake but the camera I used for this video was not a Go Pro and was mounted to the cabin and with the zoom activated it was pronounced. There has never been any vibration in the rudder pedals. At the time of filming I had about 425 hrs. on it and it has never had any kind of adjustment done since day one. I will be posting another video tonight filmed with a Go Pro mounted to the other side of the cabin that has not had any kind of stabilization done to it in editing. I think you will see the difference.

At this time my Gyro is down in Zephyrhills getting a new folding mast, new bigger rotor and will be finally putting the canopy on for the first time. Greg will be using the PB4 to balance the rotor this time which was not used when I bought it new. Before I left last week he had gotten it from .8 to .4 I hope after Benson Days Greg will be able to get it to .02 - .04 to finish it. Although I have no way of knowing what it was before I would have to say at .4 seems about what it was. I also told them they could use my gyro for the class they are having on how to use the PB4.

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Thanks for the explanation barry,with the camera mounted directly to the cabin it would give the appearance of shake that actually is not there,and the lack

of rudder pedal shake I am sure its a very smooth ride the way it is,my new rotors were balanced with the PB4 and they are very smooth.

I don't know if you can improve on the smoothness of your gyro,it looks great like it is..

Ben Harrison

Barry, I can relate to your trike friends because I too, being from a fixed wing background, was concerned about stick shake being a detriment. Well, the overall ride in a gyro on a turbulent day is considerably smoother than any fixed wing, and a little stick shake doesn't toss your guts around like a fixed wing on a turbulent day.