Steorn's Orbo: A future DC motor/generator for rotor craft?

iodine

Hello Everyone,

An Irish company named Steorn is launching a new type of DC motor. Instead of using traditional stators it uses toroids and apparently does not experience back EMF. Steorn also claims that it has an efficiency of over 100%.

Here is a video about their technology. In the video they perform a set of experiments on the Orbo that seems to verify their claims.

Introduction to an Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction - Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nae_I_Mus

If their claims are verified this could be a huge boost for all sorts of aircraft.

Hello Everyone,

Steorn also claims that it has an efficiency of over 100%.

If their claims are verified this could be a huge boost for all sorts of aircraft.

Sounds like snake oil to me but if their claims are verified then it will impact a whole lot more than aviation.

Anybody claiming over 100% efficiency is either flat out lying or doesn't know how to measure something properly.

Either case is enough to make me ignore them...

I must be missing something. I have watched the video and found nothing else but a pulse motor on it that has been proven pretty efficient but old technology. Toroids or stators makes no difference they both produce electromagnetic fields fired the exact juxtaposed position minimizing the drag created by conventional dc motors. Which makes them heat up and waste energy. But overrunning is a stretch. Any device connected to a source of electricity (battery) by definition is a depleting device and the unit putting back anything into the battery is being measured on the momentary base giving false reading. But it sure makes it sound mystical. I wish we had something legit going on. BTW the pulse motor is not really strong as you can see the guy stops it fairly easily but it sure looks impressive using four toroids on a fairly long arm from the center. Spins pretty fast for what it is. Bedini has used back EMF for the longest time to run a motor on a bifiled stator and this thing ran for 8 days on a single 9 volt battery. It was pretty impressive. You might wanna google Bedini's work.

If Steorn has achieved 100% efficiency (or over-unity ) why are they needing spam to promote it iodine? This has been a brand new amazing discovery for at lest 4 years now .

Take your money and buy a small bottle of snake oil , rub it on your propeller and your aching muscles. It will feel much better than trying to break the laws of thermodynamics. :):):)

Best regards

If you are interested in electric motors and start to read Bedini's material you are likely to go crazy, as he is really rocking the status quo, don't know what he is into but he is really on to something, probably will lead right to Tesla.

Tony

As long as a motor is connected to a battery or any other energy source it is not considered over unity because they only show mathematical equations to back it. As soon as the battery is disconnected they all stop. :( I wanna see one running on nothing and being able to tap into extra energy. No batteries no transformators blah blah. Just pure running on nothing. :) I am not a skeptic by any means, I just have seen too many claims. None of these were non profit! Good ole buck comes into play every time. Check out Edwin Gray's electromagnetic engine. He fooled everyone to the point the newspapers were reporting it as an actual invention and fact. Reagan gave an award for it in 73...... Well as I said there is one yet to be seen being ran on nothing...

Steorn just announced there will be an additional experiment performed on Friday.

Folks,

Just so that you are aware - we have seen various claims of replications of our system from various sources. However we have been through most of these today and can advise that none of the supposed replications of the core effect are in fact replications at all. Specifically in all the cases that we have examined we are 100% confident that CEMF exists and that this is the primary cause of rotor motion.

Our next experiment is scheduled for 17:00 GTM this Friday, January 8th.

Thanks,

Sean

Steorn just announced there will be an additional experiment performed on Friday.

Hi Iodine

This device was all set to be displayed (proven) in front of a scientific panel back around 2008. Of course , as always happens , some "little glitch" popped up and the test was canceled.

Just trying to be helpful . With the internet you should be able to find out the rest of the story.

Best regards and welcome to the forum.

Arnie

A machine that continuously discharges more energy than it receives is creating energy and is known, technically, as “a perpetual motion machine of the first kind” because it violates the first law of thermodynamics.

A machine that continuously discharges more energy than it receives is creating energy and is known, technically, as “a perpetual motion machine of the first kind” because it violates the first law of thermodynamics.
Exactly right Chuck.

I am also amused by the sales pitch for these new gadgets. It is always along the lines of :

......"we are here trying to get investors on the ground floor because the big oil companies are trying to stop our invention"

......."Tesla had this figured out years ago , but a big conspiracy prevented him from building it and he died pennyless"

......."We just need a bit more money from private investors to solve a few remaining problems with the gadget. We expect to have the prototype ready soon. "

The standard brainwash technique usually involves 3 basic tactics:

1. Create an enemy (big oil companies)

2. Provide a solution (free energy gadget)

3. Warn of detractors (nobody will believe you when you explain it)

Gadget makers , cults , snake oil salesmen , and weird religions all use some form of these tactics. The brainwash is further confirmed when friends and family try to rescue them from the snake oil. It confirms the warning they are in a special select group and "the outsiders" will all miss out. Invest now they always say. Join now they always say.

Hey Folks ..... common cooking oil is just as good as snake oil . Buy a gallon for three bucks. Dab some on your forehead and just say no when the free energy gadget inventor wants your mind and your money.

Just like Chuck said , there is no free energy or perpetual motion machines.

These "experiments" all seem to start out with long, belabored explanations of fairly routine test equipment. They could conserve lots of investment capital if they'd just demonstrate it running in a dark room without an external power supply for a couple months.

Assuming, of course, it could...

These "experiments" all seem to start out with long, belabored explanations of fairly routine test equipment. They could conserve lots of investment capital if they'd just demonstrate it running in a dark room without an external power supply for a couple months.

Assuming, of course, it could...

You are exposing their strategy Paul ...... ssssshhhhhh !!!!!

They could not have raised 15 million dollars from investors using simple and straight forward (failed) testing... ssssshhhhh....!!!

Come now!

Come now!

My goodness! I'm really disapointed in all you guys, you totally miss the point! Don't sell the steak, sell the sizzle!:D

There is no need to sell the product to consumers, just sell the "idea" to rich investors! It's been done time and time again.:sad:

My old uncle used to tell me the most valuable commodity in the world is SNOW, like in "SNOW JOB".

PT Barnum said it best; "there's one born every minute!"

Last edited:
This is so bogus that I can't even start to express it. -- Chris.
I agree Chris

I have noticed something by watching these schemes for many years and here are a few of observations:

***some of them make a pile of money through the years as they "perfect" their gadget and live off investor funds. I call them clever criminals operating just inside the law. It reminds me of the saying that behind every new gold mine discovery is a liar standing over a hole in the ground telling us how we can get rich"

***We may wish to call them Liars , but the proper terminology used is "lack of full disclosure" which is a fancy term that means they have not told you about test results that did not "quite work out as expected"

***To promote a stock , or investment in a worthless gadget requires carefully prepared speeches and written information so as not to violate securities regulations. This is part of the "clever criminal" approach. After all , there really could be gold in that hole in the ground.

***Another "brilliant" tactic used by the promoters is the fact that after investor funding has all been consumed and the gadget has failed to perform , many of the investors have a sneaking suspicion they have been conned and so they retreat and quietly go on with life. After all , not many men like to admit they have been conned by the snake oil salesmen.

***There is always a well presented smoke screen of testing instruments , fancy graphs , secondary sources of (true) information that has nothing to do with the gadget , but it helps the presenters appear intelligent and knowledgeable on the subject..

***A person can also observe that the audience (investors) usually consists of reasonably average intelligent folks who do not completely understand the laws of physics. In other words , we can observe that Sreorn does not fill the room with thermodynamics experts when making a presentation.

***Some of the cleverest schemes drag prototype testing out for enough years that the "inventor" has a long life of financial comfort. All he has to do is come up with a snazzy new rendition every couple of years. The Moller Sky Car comes to mind.

***In amongst all that is the "honest" guy who really thinks he has discovered perpetual motion and wants to borrow a few bucks to buy the latest high powered magnets. He really thinks he will make it work and his lack of knowledge blinds him. Same as the gold miner who really thinks he has found the motherload and needs money for another box of dynamite. These types are not dishonest , just a bit misguided and full of too much enthusiasm. I love those characters , and hey , sometimes there is gold in that hole in the ground. Diamonds too. The Chuck Fipke story comes to mind

Best regards everybody
Arnie

Yes, Arnie, this has all the ingredients of snake oil. I would add one more:

Whenever earth shattering discoveries are first and only published in unusual media for that circumstance (as, e.g., youtube in this case), watch out! If he were an honest scientist, he would have fully disclosed and published his findings in a well reputed, peer reviewed scientific journal and not on youtube. He also might have filed for a patent.

In fact, he did neither (or else he would have mentioned it). He lectures in front of an empty aufience (the camera carefully avoids any view of it). He also doesn't mention ANY pertinent physics that went into the engineering of his miracle motor.

To go on, he only shows some dubious scope traces to prove such a revolutionary point. This is like using a recording of clattering hooves to prove that you have a unicorn in your stable. I want to see the HORN not hear the hooves! If you can't show me that, in all likelihood you don't have a unicorn but only a horse.

On the physics side of it, the only difference between the normal motor and his Orbo motor is how the coils are wound. You can show mathematically that the the particular shape of the magnetic field is irrelevant for reverse induction to occur. Whenever there is induction there also is reverse induction. Period. What he is claiming is that you can push against a wall without having the wall push back against your hand.

Anyway, I better stop now or else I get dragged in even deeper.

Greetings, -- Chris.

Just out of curiosity, I looked up this topic on Wikipedia. Here ist the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steorn.

One interesting interpretation of this scientific ploy is that the owner, Mr. Seán McCarthy, uses it as a marketing ruse to demonstrate how to generate interest and traffic in a website. But I'll let you read for yourself.

-- Chris.